Instructions

Ask questions and discuss videos here

Moderator: darwin

myloadm61

Instructions

Postby myloadm61 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:11 am

It comes to my attention and others about instructions. MANY of the questions on these forums could be eliminated if new(and probably old) users of the presses and other equipment would read the instructions that come with the equipment through several times. If you're buying used stuff and it doesn't come with the instructions, you can get them from the Lee website for most everything they make.
Many of us just don't get it, why you will buy something and not read the instructions and then ask redundant questions. Fair enough that you might not understand them, but for goodness sakes, read them.
I see the same old questions asked over and over again that have the answers in the instructions. No wonder that some have problems, when no effort is made to learn about the items. I know this will ruffle feathers, but get serious. More can be learned by reading the literature than by the opinions of the forum(for the most part) Probably if you don't understand the instructions, you'll never understand the equipment.
Just my nickel's worth again----

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:25 pm

I agree that users should definitely read the directions. I read the directions for the loadmaster before I bought one and have read them several times after I got one but please keep in mind that all people do not learn in the same way. Some learn much quicker if they can actually put their hands on the equipment, others need someone else to give them direction before they actually grasp the process and some just need their confidence stoked. So, you will undoubtedly continue to see questions asked that you feel are answered in the directions. If it bothers you to read them, then don't read them. I don't intend to ruffle anyones feathers but I always try to look at things realistically rather than the way I wish they could be.

daboone

Postby daboone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Just use Darwin's edition: http://loadmastervideos.com/LMmanual.pdf

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:21 pm

It doesn't really bother me to read them. I just don't understand the redundancy in not reading the instructions. I guess if you don't mind continous repetition of the same subject it;s ok.
Knock yourself out, didn't mean to ruffle feathers and thin skin lol.

And it is understandable why some have broken parts all of the time. Trial and error is expensive. Helps keep Lee in business. At least when the frustration of having problems with the LM continues with some and they sell it to move (up)sic to the Blue one, I can chuckle knowing that the same thing will happen with it too, because they didn't read the instructions.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant and God Bless the USA

And Smitty, you are right about the learning aspect, I also didn't learn everything about the LM from the instructions, but it one heck of a good place to start.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 am

I to was like Smitty; read the directions prior to and after getting the LM(s) . Now, if ANYONE can logically follow Lee's instructions and get a comprehensive understanding from those instructions, they would, in my opinion be a very special person. I think the instructions are written/proofed in China and miss the subtle meanings of the English language. There's not a thing wrong with Lee Loaders that a TOTAL rewrite and factory video support of their products wouldn't cure. I presently have a couple of Lee Loaders(non-progressive) that work extremely well. I also have a "blue" progressive that works extremely well for "backup". :D

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:26 am

Sparky45 wrote: There's not a thing wrong with Lee Loaders that a TOTAL rewrite and factory video support of their products wouldn't cure.

That is what I secretly hoped for when I released my first setup video, and especially the PDF version. I had some correspondence with John Lee at the time. He was aware of it and even converted the HTML version to a PDF for me. But alas, LMs are still sold with the same old, nearly worthless instructions.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 am

There are all kinds of people in this world . Some dense , some sharp , most of us are some where in between .

Many of us benefit most from visual instruction , as compared to written instructions . That is why I think the videos are so helpful .

In addition to that , Lee has a long history of documentation that leaves something to be desired . :-(

Also , some of us learn , gradually , by repetition .

Add to that , the audience the documentation attempts to speak to varies greatly . From a newbie that has NEVER loaded before , to a person that has been loading for years . Almost need 3 levels of documentation ? That probably is not practical .

I can honestly say I would have never built up the courage to tackel a LM ( with all the good and bad reviews ) w/o the online support .

Thanks guys and thanks to the other reloading forums and YouTube contributors ! :-)

God bless
Wyr

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am

Ahhh, Finally........

Thanks so very much........ :lol:

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:06 pm

It is also axiomatic that if you read the instructions when you unpacked the device (whatever it is), after having used it without incident for a number of years there will come a time when a problem arises, and you won't have any idea where the instructions went (Tahiti, probably) nor will you remember what they said.

That's why the Internet has forums -- to ask questions.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Very true, and Lee has a website with the instructions.

Thank you

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm

I tend to carry this to an extreme.

I have been known to purchase four or five competing instruction sheets, study them in detail, and THEN make my purchase. I have very seldom experienced buyer's remorse.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:04 pm

EXTREMELY WELL SAID, Thanks

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:16 am

Y'all ain't seen NUTHIN' if'n you haven't read the instructions for how to lower the convertible top on an early 1960s vintage Datsun Fairlady roadster. Compared to that, Lee's instructions should be awarded a Pulitzer prize.

Return to “Video discussion and questions”