Case Feeder Issue

Ask questions and discuss videos here

Moderator: darwin

Lighthorse

Case Feeder Issue

Postby Lighthorse » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:21 pm

When I set up my press, I checked and adjusted the feeder arm until it worked every time. As soon as I added the case feeder issues arose. I got the arm to come far enough back on the down stroke to grab a case, but it either feeds the case before the shell plate rotates, or it fails to feed it far enough into the shell plate to align with the decapping die at station 1. I have tried adjusting the tension screws, and the base hole that holds the cam arm. Is there a video that I can reference? I haven't even gotten to set up my primer feed yet. I did get my powder drop set for pistol, unfortunately I had to order a rifle powder die and double disk kit for .223.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:32 pm

Check this out Lighthorse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfep9hXXKBw

mike

Lighthorse

Postby Lighthorse » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks Mike. I got the answer I think I need in the setup video. I didn't lube the case feeder. I wasn't sure if it was OK to do. I think it will fix my feed issue.

trudesea

Postby trudesea » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am

I pretty much gave up on the case feeder, watched pretty much every video on the net. Spent about 6 hours trying to get it working correctly.

I'd get it to work for a a little bit, but it'd start binding up the press, cases wouldn't drop because it didn't move enough...just a mess. It seems to be a hokey, overly complex apparatus for the function intended.

I'm going to work on a more reliable servo/stepper motor/micro switch solution when I get time, until then it's less stressful to load the cases by hand.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Make sure you are fully cycling the press each time. If you short stroke the lever, it will cause you problems. Something isn't adjusted right or it's something else.
The case feeder is one of the most reliable systems on the LM when properly set up.
I run 4 different LM here and use the case feeder on all except the longer rifle calibers. All handgun calibers and 223, works excellent.
Make sure the slider arm isn't moving as sometimes the case slider will "grab" the square rod and cause it to jerk. There are a couple of pictures on here showing how to stabilize the arm. I have used a 1/4" steel square piece, drilled at the top to attach to the slider arm and attached to my bench to keep it from moving.
Can't remember how to post a pic.

motopic

Postby motopic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm

The slider depends on friction on the square bar, but not on the T rail.
It really is simple, but you have to understand how it works.

I'd suggest using the rare earth magnet trick, that eliminates the friction aspect of the problem.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 pm

trudesea wrote:I pretty much gave up on the case feeder, watched pretty much every video on the net. Spent about 6 hours trying to get it working correctly.

I'd get it to work for a a little bit, but it'd start binding up the press, cases wouldn't drop because it didn't move enough...just a mess. It seems to be a hokey, overly complex apparatus for the function intended.

I'm going to work on a more reliable servo/stepper motor/micro switch solution when I get time, until then it's less stressful to load the cases by hand.

Actually, it is quite simple and reliable; at least with the cases I have used in it. 45 Colt, 45 ACP, and 40 S&W. Getting the drop distance set for the cases seems to be the trick. Too tall and they may fall over, too short and they may tilt and catch the underside of the slider, locking up the press. I find about 3mm to be close to right. I like to have the slider sized to be just a tiny bit shorter than the case. This really helped with the shorter cases where I took the tall slide and sanded it down to fit just the way I like. If you are doing tall rifle cases, I see your point for sure. Also notice the back side of the bottom most part of the collator is flattened and nor rounded like the rest of that part. This area has been relieved to provide additional clearance for the slider to move inward. If you have that rotated too far counter clockwise, the bind will occur on occasion, the instructions and videos may not have addressed that little detail. Rube Goldberg would be proud of this machine.

prs

carload9

photo

Postby carload9 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 pm

dont take your square bar off, just loosen nut and lay in over. Then its ready next time. I have a certain lite touch for screws, have'nt tried magnet. In the up postion of ram i keep 4 tube carousel real close to loadmaster. I dont the pencil space before tighting. Mine are stock and work great.

Return to “Video discussion and questions”