An idea for a new video

Ask questions and discuss videos here

Moderator: darwin

darwin
Site Admin

An idea for a new video

Postby darwin » Mon May 31, 2010 10:00 am

I plan on making a new video, a quick start guide for people that buy a new LM. It will show initial setup, what to watch while you're reloading and advice for people new to reloading. The only thing I'm not sure about is the case feeder setup, since I don't use one and don't even know if I could find the parts to it.

My problem is that I don't really remember how they are set up from the factory. Do they come with the dies set in place?

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

rockfarmer

Postby rockfarmer » Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 am

Mine was a factory 2nd .223 purchased from Lee. Dies & primer trough were installed so I only had to install the primer tray and PPM and to adjust the dies. The thing came in a brown box with some accessories & spares I ordered so I don't know if assembly and packaging would be the same for a press purchased at a retail store.

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Mon May 31, 2010 2:43 pm

My LM came with the dies in the die box. Not installed on the turret. The LM was pretty much shipped bare bones. All the accessories were in their boxes and had to be installed. Looking back, I would rather set-up the press myself anyway. I followed your videos for just about everything prior to set-up. Shaddowdog's case feeder setup video walks you thru that specific setup with ease. I have a few videos in the making. Time is not on my side at the moment. I will send them to you when they are completed.

Great idea for a new video.

Cithwaterman

zuke

Postby zuke » Mon May 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Mine came with the die's installed.
The case feeder assy. was in a brown cardboard box.
Same with the powder measure.

cbunt1

Re: An idea for a new video

Postby cbunt1 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm

darwin wrote:I plan on making a new video, a quick start guide for people that buy a new LM. It will show initial setup, what to watch while you're reloading and advice for people new to reloading. The only thing I'm not sure about is the case feeder setup, since I don't use one and don't even know if I could find the parts to it.

My problem is that I don't really remember how they are set up from the factory. Do they come with the dies set in place?

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just bought mine a few weeks ago, and yes, it came with the dies installed, and set to the "factory" positions.

The bottom half of the powder measure is setup and ready to go, and the case feeder has to be assembled.

The priming attachments are all in place, and such.

For the factory setup (which I didn't even try a single round on) it was about 45 minutes box to "ready to load." and most of that is setting up and timing the case feeder.

I of course setup to factory specs, and immediately started changing to the recommendations here (which I will vouch--work MUCH better than factory recommendations) -- but found it a good place to start anyway.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 pm

I've always wondered how well they set them up. Unfortunately, I took mine all apart and started from scratch. I did a LOT of reading and investigation before I got mine. I didn't have the luxury of this site then. :D

I started making videos the day I got it. Shadowdog was making them, too, and spurred me into action. Those were good times.

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Shaddowdog? He made a bunch of great videos.

Citywaterman

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am

Citywaterman wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Shaddowdog? He made a bunch of great videos.

He moved on. He sold his LM to a good friend and bought a Dillon. He made a couple of videos about mods for the Dillon. He figured out a way to flip all of the primers and load the primer tubes, IIRC (If I Remember Correctly). He lets me keep his videos here. He made some videos about field stripping and cleaning 1911s on youtube, but somebody complained to him about the way he did it and he took them down. I didn't see anything wrong with them, myself.

He bought a Harley and was working on it. I don't hear from him much any more.

Here is a link to his youtube video. The only one he has now is about his jeep. :(

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?pi=0&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&dm=2&s=jkRYrS_6lRw&as=1

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 am

I'm suprised that Shaddowdog went to Dillon. It appeared that he was a true RED Load Master type. I pulled the handle on a Dillon 650 for about 10 rounds of 223 at the NRA Convention. It's an awesome machine, but a little too expensive for my wallet. The machine operated very smooth. I love my Load Master, so I'm set. It would be nice to hear from Shaddowdog once in awhile. He has a lot of good LM knowledge.

Citywaterman
Last edited by Citywaterman on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 pm

darwin wrote:
Citywaterman wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Shaddowdog? He made a bunch of great videos.

He bought a Harley and was working on it.

When I had my last Harley, I didn't have time to work on anything else either.

Citywaterman

I stand corrected

Postby Citywaterman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:59 pm

My LM came with the dies in the die box. Not installed on the turret.

I checked some of my notes and need to make a correction. My new Loadmaster did arrive with the dies installed. I did buy an additional set of dies and turret. I was confused.

Citywaterman

Return to “Video discussion and questions”