bullet hard

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

cop1949

bullet hard

Postby cop1949 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 pm

To make bullets you need good bullet alloy but their are more important things to a good bullet.

Linotype Alloy Ingot (4%-tin,-12%-antimony-and-84%-lead) to hard
will powder against steel target. to much antimony but good to mix with very hard to find thou.
Lyman #2 Bullet Ingot (90%-Lead,-5%-Tin,-5%-Antimony) Good alloy

I use the following:
Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy Ingot (2%-Tin,-6%-Antimony-92%-Lead)
This seems to work best for me in 9mm to 44mag and 45-70.

The reason I use this is tin has a low melting point and with modern powder and velocites tin does very little to harden the lead but makes it pour better. Your hardening agent for lead is Antimony. it melts at about 1160 degree and is the main addition to hard lead in the industry. Hence the reason I have reduced my lead content to only 2%.

If your leading your barrel it has much more to due with bullet fit. A very common misconception is that cast bullets lead the bore because the alloy is too soft. Poor bullet fit in the firearm is responsible for more leading problems than is the alloy being used. Poor or improper chamber and bore dimensions with incorrectly sized bullets and poor lubrication is another leading cause. This is not to say that there aren’t contaminated or soft bullet leads.

Here is a great report I took to heart Long time ago

http://www.lasc.us/Kelter_Cast_Bullet_Alloys2.pdf

P.S

Lead-tin alloys soften quickly and is not a very good metal to bother to try to heat treat

Arsenic - simple if your are not a metalurgist you will probable end up DEAD. Don't try it, not worth ther risk

The percentage of antimony greatly effects the amount of time for strengthening to occur when heat treating or quenching.
The alloy containing 2% antimony clearly does not respond sufficiently to be considered as a possible alternative. The 4% antimony alloy, however, attains a hardness of 18 HV after 30 min and the alloy containing 6% antimony appears to undergo optimum hardening. 2% tin for better pouring up to you.

cop1949

Good Luck

daboone

Postby daboone » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

If you have tin and lead, linotype is east to make by just adding antimony. Rotometals sells a BB shot antimony which melts into a lead tin alloy at less than 650 degrees.http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/antimonyshot.htm It take a lot of fluxing, I used sawdust and leave the ash floating on the top. Lot of folks think you need very high temps to alloy in antimony but it can be done with a lead tin alloy at, as I said, temps below 650.

For me I rarely make linotype, I just add a little antimony to up the BHN to get to a +/- 15 BHN so a pound of antimony last a long time.

I've not been getting many WWs recently but at Glendale Iron a local source I've been getting recycled xray shielding which is basically pure lead.

Return to “Bullet casting”