Casting for the M1 Carbine

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

Reload
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

Casting for the M1 Carbine

Postby Reload » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am

Is anyone casting for this round? Which mold are you using?

Also looking for recipes. I'm wondering if wheelweights have acceptable hardness given the slower speed and light charge. I've heard some stories about leading the gas port too, any thoughts?

prs
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Postby prs » Thu May 24, 2012 12:36 pm


WyrTwister
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Casting for the M1 Carbine

Postby WyrTwister » Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Reload wrote:Is anyone casting for this round? Which mold are you using?

Also looking for recipes. I'm wondering if wheelweights have acceptable hardness given the slower speed and light charge. I've heard some stories about leading the gas port too, any thoughts?



I am loading for .30 Carbine , with a variety of lead bullets . Some I got in trade , most cast by either my cousin or myself . With Lee 2 cavity molds

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/ ... ble-cavity

Either # 90362 or # 90364 .

I have used H110 , WC820 , AA # 9 , 4227 or Unique . Look it up , it pretty much takes a max load of Unique to cycle the bolt .


Check out my post at

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/foru ... php?t=1708

God bless
Wyr

Reload
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Casting for the M1 Carbine

Postby Reload » Thu May 24, 2012 3:19 pm

WyrTwister wrote: I have used H110 , WC820 , AA # 9 , 4227 or Unique . Look it up , it pretty much takes a max load of Unique to cycle the bolt .


Thanks. What about the lead recipe? Are you casting from wheelweights or mixing an alloy?

WyrTwister
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Casting for the M1 Carbine

Postby WyrTwister » Thu May 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Reload wrote:
WyrTwister wrote: I have used H110 , WC820 , AA # 9 , 4227 or Unique . Look it up , it pretty much takes a max load of Unique to cycle the bolt .


Thanks. What about the lead recipe? Are you casting from wheel weights or mixing an alloy?



Mostly wheel weights and occasionally other lead I have managed to scrounge .

I can hit the steel silhouettes out to 150 yards , if I can control the shakes and wobbles .

Size the bullets to about .311" - .312" . Bullets sized to .308" did not shoot very accurately . :-(

God bless
Wyr


Return to “Bullet casting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests