.32 hand gun bullets for the .30 Carbine ?

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

.32 hand gun bullets for the .30 Carbine ?

Postby WyrTwister » Fri May 25, 2012 9:20 am

Any one tried this ? Are they too light ?

I would size them to about .312" , what I am sizing my ~120 grain .30 caliber bullets .

God bless
wyr

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 am

Hope you've got a strong action. :!: :roll:

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 am

myloadm61 wrote:Hope you've got a strong action. :!: :roll:

I am confused ?

What has raised your concern ?

I shoot a WWII Inland ( General Motors ) M1 Carbine .

God bless
wyr

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 pm

JEEZ, man, don't get your feathers in an uproar.
You're the guy that said you wanted to stuff a bigger bullet in the case.
You profess to be boolit caster so what you want to do is fine if you don't mind driving the pressure up.
Wasn't trying to anger you. Go ahead and take the rest of the day off.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri May 25, 2012 1:37 pm

myloadm61 wrote:JEEZ, man, don't get your feathers in an uproar.
You're the guy that said you wanted to stuff a bigger bullet in the case.
You profess to be boolit caster so what you want to do is fine if you don't mind driving the pressure up.
Wasn't trying to anger you. Go ahead and take the rest of the day off.

I was not angered , just confused ?

Your concern is from loading / shooting over sized lead bullets ?

A couple of points , if I may share them with the group .

It is not uncommon to use over size bullet , when loading / shooting lead bullets .

Many folks blame problems with lead bullets on the lead alloy being too soft . Quite often this van be improver or solved by using a bullet that is over sized .

I do not claim to understand much or all of this . But I read it has to do with the way the chamber is cut and the dimensions it is cut to . And the amount of leade or taper transitioning from the chamber to the riflings of the barrel .

I am not saying pressure can not be a problem . But consider lead alloy is softer and more malleable than the copper alloy used for bullet jackets . I think this is the biggest determining factor .

A good illustration is the amount of force required to manually size a lead bullet down a few thousandths of an inch , compared to a similar manual operation with a jacketed bullet .

Next , loads for lead bullets are often lighter than for an equal jacketed bullet weight .

If you are not loading at max powder charge , pressure is OK , any way .

Another contributing factor is the internal powder volume in the case , after the bullet is seated . Every thing else being equal , a lead bullet of the same weight and shape as a jacketed bullet , is going to be a little shorter . If you are loading to the same , max OAL , the lead bullet load will have greater internal volume in the case , resulting in less pressure .

I have personally seen accuracy improve from loading lead bullets at least .002" oversize , in .30 Carbine and .45-70 in Marlin lever guns .

Probably helps in most other calibers .

I load / shoot home cast bullets in those calibers , and 9 x 19mm , .38 Special / .357 Mag , .44 Mag , .45 ACP , .45 LC and .30-30 .

God bless
Wyr

Happy Memorial Day .

Return to “Bullet casting”