2new molds

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

carload9

2new molds

Postby carload9 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 pm

lyman 45acp/colt45 This one is incredible, my first high quality mold and these are the best cast to shoot in your xds or 1911. Yep, the taught me on castboolits so i bought a mold on ebay.

And the new 6 hole 9mm 125gr.. I can make a quick pile with 6 hole mold.

I'll be set soon, this blank below is at CNC shop. It will have makarov nose with one lube ring and weigh 111gr and will be used in 380 and 9mm.

The lee's wear out quicker in my hands. I am getting easier with them, Lyman is great, i am wanting a NOE and one RCBS mold.

Jumping Frog

Re: 2new molds

Postby Jumping Frog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 pm

carload9 wrote:... i am wanting a NOE and one RCBS mold.

Personally, I am not as pleased with my NOE mold.

IMO, Accurate Mold makes better molds than NOE by far.

As far a Lyman goes, the old molds are OK, but I'd steer way clear of anything newer than 10 years. Their quality control has slipped a lot and have developed a reputation for using their cherries too long as a cost saving measure, which means the molds are dropping undersized bullets.

carload9

ok

Postby carload9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 am

why , tell us why u no like NOE. "What was it?

i want a RCBS mold too!

No more lees, for me, just what i have. Lee uses wrong aluminum. Lees sproo plates need to be steel and their sproo cam on the handle needs to be as thick as the sproo plate. Lee 2 hole handles need to be 1/4 inch thick at mold blocks. And for christ sake make real mold handles out of hard wood, drilled with roll pin. I'll pay for jump in price and others would too. And the RN 105gr boolit,, offer it in 6 cavity, great plinker for 380/9..

This forum could straighten lee out in two months if they would hire us! Baring the lead time on our manufacturing changes. They can just go play golf and come back when we are done. Hehehehehe! funny? but sadly true.
Last edited by carload9 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prs

Postby prs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 am

Carload, is that 45 boolit a 460 or 630 model? Probably just glare on the photograph, but the drive bands look rounded a bit on some of them.

I've got a 4 cav 452460 Layman that drops them right at .4515 and round with my alloy. Lots of folk seem to find theirs drop too small and blame Lyman for making molds to drop at spec based upon #2 alloy, which is hard and expensive and does drop larger than most other blends.

My favorite 45ACP mold is the Lyman 4 cav for their hard ball clone.

prs

carload9

photos

Postby carload9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

put a pic up of hard ball clone 45.

yea, thinks its 452488 lyman.

Bands are rounded!

carload9

change again

Postby carload9 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 pm

sold the middle photo mold today to friend ( lee 9mm 125 gr) ..

Bought a NOE from Al. New with NOE handles, 4 cavity mold is 132 gr for 9mm.

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 pm

ha ha I just had a long talk with Magic Mike about Lee....and you are right on the button ....IF Lee would listen to is people that buy its products

WyrTwister

Re: ok

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:58 am

carload9 wrote:why , tell us why u no like NOE. "What was it?

i want a RCBS mold too!

No more lees, for me, just what i have. Lee uses wrong aluminum. Lees sproo plates need to be steel and their sproo cam on the handle needs to be as thick as the sproo plate. Lee 2 hole handles need to be 1/4 inch thick at mold blocks. And for christ sake make real mold handles out of hard wood, drilled with roll pin. I'll pay for jump in price and others would too. And the RN 105gr boolit,, offer it in 6 cavity, great plinker for 380/9..

This forum could straighten lee out in two months if they would hire us! Baring the lead time on our manufacturing changes. They can just go play golf and come back when we are done. Hehehehehe! funny? but sadly true.

A couple of tips on Lee Molds .

If the wood handles come off , simply glue the handles back on with J B Weld . It seems to take the heat very well . Roll pin not needed to keep them in place .

On the 6 cavity molds , never let the lead get HARD / COLD , before cutting the sprue . That is when I broke a sprue plate lever .

I find I need to break in a new mold . Run the melting pot at 100% temp and pour the lead HOT , into the mold , casting bullets and dropping them until the mold starts dropping good bullets . Then turn gradually the temp down as far as you can & still get good bullets .

God bless
wyr

Return to “Bullet casting”