Lee micro band bullet question

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

rowe_s

Lee micro band bullet question

Postby rowe_s » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:41 pm

I used to cast my bullets 20 years ago and am thinking about getting in to it again for the 40 S&W.

Answers to a couple questions would help bring me up to date and would be much appreciated.

The bullet I want to cast is http://leeprecision.com/6-cav-tl401-175swc.html It is the micro band
design SWC. I plan on using ?LEE LIQUID ALOX? lube.

Question 1: Will the Lee liquid lube work well at 925 FPS?

Question 2: Has anybody checked the as cast bullet OD of the Lee micro band bullets before sizing/lubing?
(I want to let the ?Lee factory crimp die? take care of any swaging of the bullet.) The cast bullets I shoot now all go through the FCD.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:58 am

You should be fine, I've used alox to 1200 FPS with no issues. It is kinda messy loading though and I'm slowly switching to a standard lube grove bullet.

I don't have that mould so can't speak for resizing it, but I have the one for the 45 acp and I don't resize. I do run through a factory crimp die to make sure the loaded round will chamber though and that sizes down any boolit that may be a little big.

motopic

Postby motopic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Liquid alox will be good for most any pistol.

I've read where (on castboolits.gunloads.com) if you can see the alox its too much. Be sure to jump over there and browse the lube area.

They came up with a blend, called 45-45-10, which a fellow makes at White Label Lube, thats supposed to be the cats meow. Goes on easier, dries harder, and nontacky.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

Heck they even use it on normal groove rifle bullets... I've got to get some.

Dia?
Depends on the mold, AND your alloy! Various mixes cause different shrinkage values.

carload9

hay

Postby carload9 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Dont use alox, causes cancer in cali., yea, no ::::.

Use hi-tek-supercoat. Go to sticky i started. iam gunoil.

36$+fedex will do 12 thousand bullets. For christ sake ,, ive choked on alox for 2 years. Give it up!

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am

The high tec coating sounds interesting, and frankly I'm tired of Alox. I don't like the idea of having to bake the bullets though.

So far my new lube works good, a mix of about 40% Vaseline and 60% bee's wax with a teaspoon of stp with a blue crayon so I don't mix it up with my BP lube. I fired a couple hundred rounds yesterday and checked the bores on my 45, clean with no sign of lead or crud build up. If I decide to switch to this for smokeless rounds I'll have to wind up getting a new star sizer as the one I've got is set up strictly for black powder lube.

One of the reasons I may be getting a little build up in my barrels from alox is that I generally tumble lube twice, and the bullet has a very visible coating. Since I don't resize for 45 acp I've got another batch where I've only put a thin coating on, will see how accurate it is and how much build up I get. In other words another excuse to shoot more.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am

Thanks for the info fellows.

carload9

HTS

Postby carload9 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi-tek-supercoat. If you new how easy and quick it is you would kick yourself in da butt. Go read all sticky on castboolits under lube section, its a top of pg..

NuJudge

Bullet diameter can change with composition

Postby NuJudge » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Most of the Lead I have used in the past was Wheelweights, to which I added about 2% Tin.

My mold dropped bullets that were a shade over .401".

I did get some Leading from them in one Beretta 96 barrel, but it had a oversize groove diameter.

CDD

Return to “Bullet casting”