here's ya daddy/boolits

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

carload9

here's ya daddy/boolits

Postby carload9 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Yep, pretty site from the land downunder.

Will keep ya posted, its easy. Large cool whip plastic, dribble teaspoon over 250 boolits. Turns them into bullets.

Yes, let dry for 30 mins on your cake wire racks then cook 8 mins @375. Repeat.

No copper or lead fouling ever again. You can even size after coating. I have and was skeptical at first, but nothing came off. You can dig em out of berm and nothing comes off.

You can run really clean loadmasters this way. Give me a week, i let ya know with photos and videos.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:07 pm

What's the cost for what's in the picture?

Sparky45

carload9

cost?

Postby carload9 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:02 pm

dont know , havent looked yet. look on web site. The liter kit is 94$ i think.

been patient on oven

Been to: sears target bestbuy kmart, no large convection table toaster oven. still looking.

Found: [edit] below,, model 31100 hamilton-beach.
Last edited by carload9 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:33 pm

You've probably already seen this, but if you haven't I think you might be interested.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... to=newpost

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Bayou's website says $68 + shipping for the 1 liter kit.

mike

carload9

Ok dont tell

Postby carload9 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:36 pm

i found one at HS gregg or whatever name is:

The largest hamiltonbeach toaster oven with convection (must have convection). 99 bucks ser#31100.

GOOD TIPS BELOW, I WILL FILL IN THE BLANKS OVER NEXT COUPLE WEEKS. Most put to much on! 1st coat super thin , dry 30 mins then hit with hair dryer, then cook @375 for 8 mins. etc.. Read from the wizard of OZ below.

HI-TEK SUPERCOAT is trade name.

Hi-Tek coatings

Mate so long as there is no lube on your sized bullets, you are good to go.
Make sure you leave the coated bullets for at least 1/2 an hour before cooking the first coat.
When they have cooled, wipe the nose of a bullet with acetone on a white cloth and look for any colour on the cloth. If there is colour, put them back in and cook at a higher temp.

I only use the middle rack. My oven has top and bottom heating elements. I tried the top rack, but it was too close to the elements and the coating would bake too hot and it was darker than the coating baked on the middle rack.
I got a buddy to bend up some stainless perforated plate. it has 1/4" holes punched in it and it works well. The woven stainless mesh is what the commercial casters here in OZ use.
Your oven MUST have a fan in it to spread the heat or you get hotspots.
Make sure you shake your coating mix before spashing it in the shaker bucket. The coating settles real quick. remember.. a little goes a bloody LOOOOOOONG way.

TREVOR
No. But I did some 180gr for the 303 SMLE and 2 coats worked fine. Alloy was straight Lino.

I cook at 180 deg C ( Whatever that is in the old scale) for 12 minutes. the bullets come out nice and shiney with no coating rub off.

I found that the top tray was getting more heat than the middle tray. So I only use 1 tray in the middle rack.
Also. make sure you are over the 180deg C . a bit higher temperature is better than not enough. the 180Deg C is the MINIMUM temp. I'm now running at 195 Deg C. for 10 minutes.
Also use a hair dryer to slightly warm your coated bullets before baking. it helps to evaporate the acetone and moisture from the lead bullets.

You will be pleased with the red copper. that is what I am using. I am now mixing 5 colour 6 acetone and 1 catalyst. this is giving a nice even shiny coating.

040094311002 Kmart
31100# Hamilton beach

We are in winter now and I have no problems with fumes from baking. the fumes that come off te bucket when coating is very strong. A mask is a must or hold your breath until the coating goes off in the bucket .

carload9

more stuff

Postby carload9 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:03 pm

I gotta come up with one tray, tight mesh! I know where it is.

Then get my wood air staple gun out and fab up a long dry rack with tight hardware wire mesh.

Thats about it. knocknout a 1000 boolets per casual nite.

This money (hi-tek) is well worth it. But the star lubsizer on my discovery card is a chore to pay off. But will sell boolits too.

I bought this: 99 bucks, finishing up with my trays.

Return to “Bullet casting”