case lube

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm

daboone wrote:I agree that SS pins in a true tumbler does the best cleaning and shining. However the brass done this way does tarnish or rather becomes duller with in a couple of days after being shiny. But the old buzz bucket with ground walnut and NuFinish has been the final stage after the reloading process to remove the mixture I use for sizing. It also shines the brass up again and the polish keeps it shinning.

I gotta admit for years shiny brass didn't mean diddly-do-squat to me. It certainly didn't make a difference in performance either. But being an old ornery cuss in these "golden years" I kinda enjoy it looking pretty.:oops:

That's curious, I've never seen that with my brass. I've got some I tumbled in SS over 6 months ago that's still shiny. I like you go for the bling anymore.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Sparky45 wrote:SS is the ONLY way to go. I made my own "Tumbler" out of parts laying around the Shop. Some angle iron, plastic Sewer pipe and a spare motor off a cage fan. Put it all together along with some bearings and SS Pins and it works like a charm.
MM with your engineering skill I can only imagine the beautiful machine you could build.

P.S. Anyone heard anymore from Carload9? His brother was burned real bad in a house fire on the 21st?

I got a message from CL Sounds Like his brother has a rough road ahead, Hope he gets along ok.

Sparky could you post a picture of your home made tumbler. I have been thinking of making something for large quantity batches.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 am

I personally don't like the ss media, but have to say that I have not actually used it. My reason is that I bought 5000 pcs 223 brass and when it came it looked like it had pits in the brass. I tumbled it for 6-7 hours to see if it would clean up, but it didn't. Called the guy and asked about the ss pins, was told he used his tumbler with ss pins, water and dawn. Anyway the brass was terrible as far as appearance went. I don't know if he ran it low on water mixture or what but it really wrecked the brass. I loaded it and it shoots alright, but can't sell any of it due to appearance. Any thoughts???
dI tumble all my brass in either walnut or cob with additive and it comes out super shiny, better with the corncob. Downside is that it doesn't clean the primer pockets very good.
I all honesty if I could find/build a tumbler that would do 1000 223 cases at a time with the proper combo of ss and mixture I would give it a try. A lot of you seem to be using ss with good results.
Wonder how it would work in my cement mixer that I use with standard media?

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:40 am

MyLoad I can't specifically answer you questions about doing a 1000 at a time. But there is no doubt that I've never seen anything like what what your describing "Anyway the brass was terrible as far as appearance went". I do have the SST kit that came with the pins. http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/thumler-s-tumbler-model-b-high-speed.html I'm sure you have seen some photos of this systems pre and post tumbling cases. There are beautiful and have no appearance of ware or tare or scratching.
It think it maybe the water here in Phoenix that causes the mild tarnishing effect after a couple of days that I've noted. As far as I concerned the inside, outside and primer pocket being appearing totally pristine makes SS pin wet tumbling worth it.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:28 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I personally don't like the ss media, but have to say that I have not actually used it. My reason is that I bought 5000 pcs 223 brass and when it came it looked like it had pits in the brass. I tumbled it for 6-7 hours to see if it would clean up, but it didn't. Called the guy and asked about the ss pins, was told he used his tumbler with ss pins, water and dawn. Anyway the brass was terrible as far as appearance went. I don't know if he ran it low on water mixture or what but it really wrecked the brass. I loaded it and it shoots alright, but can't sell any of it due to appearance. Any thoughts???
dI tumble all my brass in either walnut or cob with additive and it comes out super shiny, better with the corncob. Downside is that it doesn't clean the primer pockets very good.
I all honesty if I could find/build a tumbler that would do 1000 223 cases at a time with the proper combo of ss and mixture I would give it a try. A lot of you seem to be using ss with good results.
Wonder how it would work in my cement mixer that I use with standard media?

My reloading buddy up north uses/used a Thumblers Tumbler for a few years. I remember him telling me that there were a few (many?) grades of SS pin media available for that type of tumbler. Is it possible that a grade too heavy/large was used in the cleaning process of your brass? I have never owned one so I am not really familiar with the process.

carload9

l made this

Postby carload9 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:14 pm

this l made off youtube for pistol brass, each batch is finished every 10 or 15 mins., while i load or do other things. I feel up a beach towel and let it dry. I USE HOT WATER, LEMI-SHINE, DAWN, just heapin 1/4 teaspoon works great AND I RINSE WITH VERY HOT WATER. I use a RCBS seperator.

media travels @ 500 RPM's

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k51 ... 7a387d.mp4

For rifle , seems the thumblers tumbler B model then polish it after that in a vibrater with lizard litter and liquid polish.

erle

Surprised

Postby erle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Well?..I'll have to admit to you Magic Mike & Carload that you had me going when you mentioned "lizard bedding" & "lizard litter". Just goes to show that you can learn something new every day. As long as I have been reloading (over 50 years) & cleaning cases in my Lyman 1200--I had never heard of "lizard litter."

I had them going in Walmart today when I asked for it. The clerks began laughing with each other because they thought I was joking or trying to pull their leg. I was beginning to wonder too--until I found it at PetSmart.

I guess some people really do keep lizards in cages! It takes all kinds & I guess some of them think it odd that some people really do reload ammo.

So?.Now when I am reloading down in my shop--I won't have to run up to the house for a pit stop--I have plenty of "lizard litter" to use! :lol:

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:18 pm

That's a good one erle. :lol:

Return to “Bullet casting”