case lube

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

carload9

case lube

Postby carload9 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 pm

case lube:
http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubrica ... saver.html

This is original formula with wax above link.

Read this page below:

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubrica ... icant.html
Lil' 4 oz spray can @ Walmart.
Last edited by carload9 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm going to get some of that lube. It sounds perfect for some of my stuff.

I am going to try lubeing some rifle cases with it. It will also have to clean off the cases in corncob media. ( I clean the lube of the rifle cases after sizing and before proceding with loading. )

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 pm

I got one of the blue cans of teflon spray, it really worked great on the crank slider and the case slider, kept them running smooth for over 2,000 cases. Good stuff, I have plans of using it on my powder measure drop tube.

I'm still looking for the yellow can.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

This stuff sounds interesting for several other bench applications as well. do you clean it off after sizing? Thanks for posting.

Because I'm a neanderthal and cast 95% of my bullets I have this stuff lying around and it makes a superb case lube for bottleneck cases. I used it for swagging bullets first, and decided to try it for cases too now i use nothing else. My imperial is just sitting somewhere.

2 parts anhydrous lanolin to one part castor oil by liquid volume but ratio of 1 to 1 works too. Actually just about anything in-between the two works very well. To get a nice even coating put a very little dallop in a plastic bag with the brass and squish the cases around, you don't need very much or
you can also apply it by hand by wiping it on with thumb and forefinger. (can't seem to get past my Imperial wax days.) :roll:

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 am

daboone wrote:This stuff sounds interesting for several other bench applications as well. do you clean it off after sizing? Thanks for posting.

I haven't tried it for sizing yet. If it ever thaws out around here I am going to shoot up some 30-06 then I will try it out. I'll post how it works. I just looked at the thermometer it is -3 here.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:34 am

rowe_s wrote: If it ever thaws out around here ....... I just looked at the thermometer it is -3 here.

Well it's 49 outside at 06:32 and headed for 75 today here in Phoenix. :D

SnowBirds Welcome... :lol: :lol:

erle

Postby erle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:30 am

[I just looked at the thermometer it is -3 here.]

WOW Rowe! Where are you located to have that low a temp?

It's 35 here in Mississippi this morning.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:48 am

I've been using the blue can stuff for case lube (both pistol and rifle) for the last couple of years and it works great. Haven't used the yellow can yet but can't imagine it would be any different.

You're welcome CL........................

mike

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 am

erle wrote:WOW Rowe! Where are you located to have that low a temp?

It's 35 here in Mississippi this morning.

I live about 8 miles the way a bullet flies west of the Mississippi about 1/2 of the way to the Northern border of Iowa. 35 sounds like a heat wave, and 75 would mean I would have to turn on the air conditioning.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:54 am

magic mike wrote:I've been using the blue can stuff for case lube (both pistol and rifle) for the last couple of years and it works great. Haven't used the yellow can yet but can't imagine it would be any different.

You're welcome CL........................

mike

That's good news Mike. Will it clean off the cases with cob in the tumbler?

Steve

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

I've never used corncob Steve so I can't say for sure. I use lizard bedding which is crushed walnut I believe and that definitely takes it off. I can't believe the corncob wouldn't do a fine job also, maybe even better as it is surely more absorbent than walnut shells.

mike

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Mike are you using NuFinish or what with your walnut bedding?

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 pm

I have used it and I still have some on hand however I have gotten away from it since I am happy with how the cases come out with just the walnut shell. The NuFinish does brighten them up some but not enough that I want to mess with it. I usually let my tumbler run for two hours or so as I am in no rush to get the cases clean so maybe that is why I don't see a lot of difference between using it and not.

I have to say though that one of our members sent me some brass (45 acp and .223) that he had cleaned in his new tumbler using the stainless steel pins and I'm here to tell you that I was impressed with how they came out. They were like new inside and out. Very nice indeed! Might have to think about that method going forward.

mike

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:22 pm

SS is the ONLY way to go. I made my own "Tumbler" out of parts laying around the Shop. Some angle iron, plastic Sewer pipe and a spare motor off a cage fan. Put it all together along with some bearings and SS Pins and it works like a charm.
MM with your engineering skill I can only imagine the beautiful machine you could build.

P.S. Anyone heard anymore from Carload9? His brother was burned real bad in a house fire on the 21st?

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 pm

I agree that SS pins in a true tumbler does the best cleaning and shining. However the brass done this way does tarnish or rather becomes duller with in a couple of days after being shiny. But the old buzz bucket with ground walnut and NuFinish has been the final stage after the reloading process to remove the mixture I use for sizing. It also shines the brass up again and the polish keeps it shinning.

I gotta admit for years shiny brass didn't mean diddly-do-squat to me. It certainly didn't make a difference in performance either. But being an old ornery cuss in these "golden years" I kinda enjoy it looking pretty.:oops:

Return to “Bullet casting”