Powder coating bullets the easy way

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

hswaters

Powder coating bullets the easy way

Postby hswaters » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:22 pm

I spend a lot of time surfing youtube to learn the latest developments in things I am interested in. I don't mind copying whenever I find a good thing and I found a gem just recently. I had heard that powder coating bullets keeps your barrel clean and allows you to use lower hardness lead in your cast bullets. So I happen to have some range scrap and that is supposed to be really soft stuff. Not wanting the expense of ordering any super hard to mix with this stuff and being basically lazy I wanted something I can just coat, size, reload and shoot. I saw guys with electric charged powder spray guns and home made spray booths wearing dust masks bowing powder every where, sitting the bullets one at a time on non stick aluminum foil and when baked the bullets had a paint flange on the bottom and mostly no bottom coating. I saw guys pouring powder and solvent into a tupper ware dish and shaking it up and cooking better looking coated bullets but the process was messy and required handling solvents. Then I found the guy with the real answer. He just put the bullets in some tuperware like containers and tumbled them and poured them on a pizza screen and baked them. Total coverage and ready to be sized. That got me excited and I bought some horror freight powder and got hold of a toaster oven and got to work. Now the expert says that the horror freight powder does not give good coverage and I think he is right but I have not had time to order some better powder. Still I think things came out just fine. I loaded a bunch of 45 acp with my coated bullets and participated in a bowling pin shoot. No fouling in the barrel with the range scrap bullets and the horror freight coating. I even made a youtube video so everyone can see them made. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irF984u ... VDwmKHFaNQ

dcorrick

Postby dcorrick » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:06 pm

I have been thinking about trying the powder coating. I see Bayou sells them already coated, and I was ready to order some, when I cam across an interesting thought over at Dardas bullets. They are claiming, that the Barium Sulfate in the powder coating is a very hard abrasive, and that it actually is lapping your barrel every time the bullet passes down the bore. If that is the case, I think I will pass on the powder coated bullets. If you think about it, with the posts I have read about it, if it stands up to the resizing operation without chipping or cracking, it must really be hard, and it probably is much harder than the copper jacket on the jacketed bullets, so it stands to reason it would wear the barrel of the firearm it was being projected through. Also, the fact that it is not leading the barrel, leads me to believe that it is indeed lapping the inside of the barrel every shot. Just my thoughts.

hswaters

Postby hswaters » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:28 pm

dcorrick wrote:I have been thinking about trying the powder coating. I see Bayou sells them already coated, and I was ready to order some, when I cam across an interesting thought over at Dardas bullets. They are claiming, that the Barium Sulfate in the powder coating is a very hard abrasive, and that it actually is lapping your barrel every time the bullet passes down the bore. If that is the case, I think I will pass on the powder coated bullets. If you think about it, with the posts I have read about it, if it stands up to the resizing operation without chipping or cracking, it must really be hard, and it probably is much harder than the copper jacket on the jacketed bullets, so it stands to reason it would wear the barrel of the firearm it was being projected through. Also, the fact that it is not leading the barrel, leads me to believe that it is indeed lapping the inside of the barrel every shot. Just my thoughts.

I guess in time we will find out if that is the case. Anyway I would rather replace a barrel than mess with bullet lube. I will see if I can start to check the bore diameter from time to time. Thanks for that information.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:59 pm

If you want an education on Powder Coating (That's the only way I will use Lead bullets anymore) go to this site: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... ternatives

Any and everything you ever wanted to know. BTW, I've shot hundreds of 45ACP powder coated without any noticeable wear on the barrel, YMMV.

carload9

hey

Postby carload9 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:03 pm

hitech-supercoat is better and easier and cheaper, less time. I want shoot paint thru barrels. IMO.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ek-coating

over 363 thousand views

hswaters

Re: hey

Postby hswaters » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:50 pm

carload9 wrote:hitech-supercoat is better and easier and cheaper, less time. I want shoot paint thru barrels. IMO.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ek-coating

over 363 thousand views

If hi-tek super coat is not paint what is it?

carload9

h

Postby carload9 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Its a hermedically sealed building in australia. You can not know its origin. Do u know who jerry miculek is? He brought it to usa. It is not paint. Ive coated and shot over 5000.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:23 pm

I have been shooting PC for months now and many thousands of rounds. No evidence thus far of any barrel polishing. The stuff is slicker than an oyster and very tough.

prs

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

After doing some research on Barium Sulfate, I think the boys at Dardas Bullets are full of it. On the Moh's scale of mineral hardness, Barium Sulfate rates just above Talc, meaning the Barium sulfate will scratch Talc, but the Talc wont scratch Barium Sulfate. Both Talc and Barium Sulfate rate below Gold. I don't think you could load and shoot enough bullets in your lifetime to cause any measurable wear in you gun barrel.

mike

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Good Lord Mike; you're not supposed to confuse folks with actual scientific data. :lol:

carload9

hehe

Postby carload9 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:40 am

l knew that.

dcorrick

Postby dcorrick » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks for clearing that up MM. I looked online for some ingredients lists for the several powdered paints that I know are being used for the coatings, but I did not see any listing for barium sulfate in any of them. Since enough of you are using them, I will go ahead and try some already coated ones from Bayou. That way I can see for myself. Sorry for the mis-information.

carload9

peeps

Postby carload9 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Peeps have got leading with pc'ed and hitech @ tip of barrel. Whats that's ya recon?

Stuff like alox is history.

Might try mm's lead cleaning outfit.

What science needs is a lead cleaning outfit for all mankind thats simple. Lead is hard to get off out toward the end of barrel.

my glock 42 shoots great, theres a lil' lead out at end but it dont seem to build up.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:02 pm

guncheese

Postby guncheese » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:29 pm

i powder coat pretty much everything i shoot
love it
and its cheeeeepppp!
ill have used my first $20 worth of powder in the next 3 years or so
and i shoot alot
i dont use a ES gun as they waste powder and make you do silly things
i dry tumble them

Return to “Bullet casting”