Do you size

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

helg

Postby helg » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:11 pm

uniquedot wrote:Lee's website say's they are $30.00 now. I assumed they came with the lube and die/bullet box.
I mean that the Buckshot custom sizer was of that price, and the Buckshot sizer did not include plastic box and lube. Buckshot makes two kinds of sizers: Lee-style and Lyman-style. Saying "Lee custom sizer" I meant "Buckshot's custom sizer of Lee style".

Sorry for confusion.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:49 pm

helg, i contacted buckshot in hopes that he would also make them in standard sizes since i need a couple in standard sizes as well as a couple in custom sizes, but he said he wouldn't make them if Lee or Lyman (depending on style wanted) offered them in that size.

zuke

Postby zuke » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 pm

I size all my paper patching bullet's, but for 45 Win mag I use them as cast out of a LEE 6 cavity.
It's the TL-452-230-TC mold

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:11 pm

zuke wrote:I size all my paper patching bullet's, but for 45 Win mag I use them as cast out of a LEE 6 cavity.
It's the TL-452-230-TC mold

Most of the six cavitiy molds i have had required sizing while most double cavities did not. I don't think i have ever had a TL mold that required sizing though.

doranj

Postby doranj » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Post Happy Thanksgiving 2013 to all. Im bringing this post back to life. I make some pretty bullets, but I get more leading than would like. Originally started with lyno, then a mixture of lyno & pure lead. I made up some bullets a few months back for 380, 9, 40 & 45. Got into pan lubing & I like it. Cast, lubed & sized in one day instead of the alox over night then size & relube. Anywho I run every caliber through a sizing die. I thought for sure they sized correctly when originally done. I size trying to make everything equal. Anywho # 2 I have just measured my 380's & 9's sized from a .356 to measure .354. 40's sized from a .401 measure .399 & my 45's out of a .452 die measure .450. one of my questions is. Is there a time limit before sizing. Does the lead shrink overtime while curing? At what time should you size ? Right now I have about 800 bullets that are going back into the pot without being resized when they come out. Thanks for any thoughts.

carload9

hay

Postby carload9 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:31 pm

l had probs, i dont have answer for different sizes. But try ww's only and get involved in hi-tek-supercoat. No lead no copper again, and clean dies. Also my cast are better because as amature the RCBS pro-melt furnace and a quality of NOE mold has helped me.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ek-coating

You can CNC all your lube grooves out of your molds. I am gunoil, started the above sticky.

Return to “Bullet casting”