lead supply

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

prs

Postby prs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:34 pm

The funny thing is, (all relatigely speaking) tin is hard to melt, antimony is really hard to melt, and even pure lead is purt difficult to melt. But lead + tin or lead + tin +antimony is pretty easy to melt. My last scrap score was sheet lead from demolition of an X-Ray room. I also recently ran into four 40# pure lead bricks that were intened for sail boat keel balast. There is an online company that sells ingots of antimony rich and tin rich allow to be blended with soft lead for pistol and rifle boolits. Go to cast boolits dot com to see their link. I render scrap in 100# batches and use a propane turkey fry burner to git'r done. Makes the math easier that way.

The zinc wheel weights can ruin your alloy and is a pain in the arse to refine out at home.

prs

Buckeye Marksman

Postby Buckeye Marksman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

prs wrote:The zinc wheel weights can ruin your alloy and is a pain in the arse to refine out at home.
prs

Use a thermometer and keep the batch below the melting point of zinc. The zinc wheel weights will float to the top...

mascotal

Postby mascotal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I also discovered hidden danger in old fishing sinkers. I got some old sinkers from a yard sale to turn into bullets. There must have been a pocket inside the sinker with water in it. I dropped it into the pot, turned and walked away, then Phsssssst!!!
I looked back and there was lead spatter all around my work station.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Lead WW are fast becoming a thing of the past, to say nothing of finding someone who will sell/give them to you even if you find some. :( Wouldn't you also think that as no one is making WW from lead anymore that the demand/price would decrease? (I mean that had to be a lot of lead) Oh no. Increase... foundry lead at 20-1 BHN 12 or so runs about 2.50 a lb. and at 7000gr to the lb with a 255gr bullet you get approx. 25 bullets so it takes 25lbs to make 500. Thats over 60 bucks PLUS you have to do the casting. I can buy 255gr bullets for 90 dollars a thousand plus shipping (about 12 bucks). I know, I know, you're going to say that rolling my own I can get just what I want for size, weight, etc; I going to say for just shooting cans and stumps these are just fine. If I want something "special"for hunting I can spend a little more for that application. (or buy some alloy just for that use) I haven't decided to sell my casting stuff as yet, but it does make a fella think that it all may not be worth it anymore..just sayin..pretty sad state for sure..

daboone

Postby daboone » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Not only are WW a thing of the good old days but range brass is to. I don't like shooting on the weekends, to many idiots with no respect for safety out there. But Monday morning use to offer LOT of range brass pick up. No more as there are folks who now make a living recycling it. I was picking it up to trade at the metal recycle places for lead. So sadly Horseman may be right. :cry:

mascotal

Postby mascotal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:51 am

Oh no. Increase... foundry lead at 20-1 BHN 12 or so runs about 2.50 a lb. and at 7000gr to the lb with a 255gr bullet you get approx. 25 bullets so it takes 25lbs to make 500. Thats over 60 bucks PLUS you have to do the casting.

I purchased 120 lbs. of lead today( BNH 10) at a cost of $1.15 per pound.
255 gr. bullet X 500 pcs. = 127500 grains. divide by 7000 = 18.21 lbs. of lead. 18.21 lbs. of lead X $1.15 = $20.94

prs

Postby prs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Buckeye Marksman wrote:
prs wrote:The zinc wheel weights can ruin your alloy and is a pain in the arse to refine out at home.
prs

Use a thermometer and keep the batch below the melting point of zinc. The zinc wheel weights will float to the top...

Very much aware of that strategy. One good way is to bring the rendering scrap up to melt slowly and to remove the zinc floaters as soon as the good ole lead ones melt. The tin in the alloy can allow zinc to disolve into the molten metal at temps below zinc's normal melting point. It does not take much zinc to degraded casting results.

By the way, RotoMetals, the boolit caster friendly metal supplier; is having a sale this week for 7% off if you have the key word "stuffing". Their prices are fair anyway and shipping is included if you order a decent amount.

prs

daboone

Postby daboone » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 pm

+1 for RotoMetals. Their service is fair and fast. I get all my tin and antimony from them and it looks like I'll be getting lead from them soon. It's important to get on their mailing list for their special offers, discounts and sometimes, believe it or not, free shipping.

http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm

[/quote]

Very much aware of that strategy. One good way is to bring the rendering scrap up to melt slowly and to remove the zinc floaters as soon as the good ole lead ones melt. The tin in the alloy can allow zinc to disolve into the molten metal at temps below zinc's normal melting point. It does not take much zinc to degraded casting results.

By the way, RotoMetals, the boolit caster friendly metal supplier; is having a sale this week for 7% off if you have the key word "stuffing". Their prices are fair anyway and shipping is included if you order a decent amount.

prs[/quote]

I baby sit the melting pot and as soon as the lead is melted , I start scooping out the stuff that is floating .

Id I do not get distracted & mess up . :-(

God bless
wyr

[/quote]

rainyday

Postby rainyday » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

when timing is right, i mine the pistol burm at my range for spent bulletts. in a few minutes i can get 5-10 pounds with out trying. i have a seperate pot to melt these in. i scrape off the jackets and when cold i put in a bucket to recycle. i flux the range lead untill clean and then pour into ingots.
i get pewter from thrift stores and melt into ingots. when i use range lead, i add 2-3 ingots per pot full of wheel weight lead and dump in 2 hand fulls of chilled lead shot.
try metel recyclers and car recking yards

Big_Blue

Good YouTube video on where to find lead

Postby Big_Blue » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 am

daboone

Postby daboone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 pm

BIG BLUE, very nice video.
Thank you.
daboone

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Big_blue, as daboone said, very nice video and also some of the others that I watched of yours are very good also.

Return to “Bullet casting”