lead supply

Discussions of bullet casting, sizing, etc.

Moderator: darwin

cliffordnc

lead supply

Postby cliffordnc » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:48 pm

New guy here - I want a loadmaster bad, but with my current volume of shooting, my lee turret (old style) keeps up just fine. I'm on the waiting list for a local range, if I get in maybe I'll shoot more and need a loadmaster to keep up...

Anyway what concerns me is the future supply of lead. The fed government is moving to remove lead from wheel weights. It's already state law in several states. What will happen when there's no more lead wheel weights?

I've also noticed that the chain tire stores are taking over and they always say corporate policy blah blah we can't give you any wheel weights..

Anyone have a source of lead other than WW?

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:42 pm

I've collected quite a bit of lead from the local tire shops. I cast them fishing sinkers and they keep me supplied with plenty of lead wheel weights. A "google" internet search will probably give you plenty of sources for lead. I believe you can get lead on eBay too.

Citywaterman

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:52 am

I pick up brass from the desert sites I shoot, keeping what I shoot and exchange the rest at metal recyclers.

Insurance companies are part of the problem for tire stores. They have to show proper receipt to prove they are not harming the environment thus protecting the insurance co. from potential lawsuits. So you bet bet is to scout the local non name brand second hand tire shops and bribe with beer and a pizza!

motopic

Postby motopic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah, check local mom and pop shops.
I scored about 80lbs of stickon weights from my friend who owns a local motorcycle shop. The sportbike guys go thru a crapload of tires.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 am

motopic wrote:Yeah, check local mom and pop shops.
I scored about 80lbs of stickon weights from my friend who owns a local motorcycle shop. The sportbike guys go thru a crapload of tires.

Ooooh, good idea! I'm going to a couple motorcycle shops tomorrow anyway.

WyrTwister

Re: lead supply

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:10 pm

cliffordnc wrote:New guy here - I want a loadmaster bad, but with my current volume of shooting, my lee turret (old style) keeps up just fine. I'm on the waiting list for a local range, if I get in maybe I'll shoot more and need a loadmaster to keep up...

Anyway what concerns me is the future supply of lead. The fed government is moving to remove lead from wheel weights. It's already state law in several states. What will happen when there's no more lead wheel weights?

I've also noticed that the chain tire stores are taking over and they always say corporate policy blah blah we can't give you any wheel weights..

Anyone have a source of lead other than WW?

My guess is sooner or latter we will end up paying through the nose for lead ? :-(

More and more of the wheel weights I scrounge or are given to mes are zinc or iron . :-)

The stick on weights I have received are soft lead , but I will take what I can get . The foam double sticky tape on the back of them sure do smoke and stink when I melt them down ! :-(

God bless
Wyr

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I picked up a Lyman 10lb electric pot to melt the stick-on lead weights. I pour the cleaned up lead into ingots and that helps me keep my Lee bottom pour pots clean. The sticky back WW sure do smoke and make a mess. That's OK, their free for now.

I've also noticed more Zinc clip on wheels weights are taking up a lot of what I had hoped were lead :x .

Citywaterman

daboone

Postby daboone » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Most BP shooters (if you know any) will trade WW for your stick on.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 pm

I scored about 200# of Lead Pipe that was being phased out of the local city water pipes. About 1&3/4" OD and about 1/2" ID. Alot of bullets are going to come out of the pile of pipes I now have. Going to start to smelt this weekend. I will mix with 2-300# of WW's I have.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Damn, Sparky. you don't mess around, do you? :shock:

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Right now I only cast for 45Cal. Hope to cast 38/357 in the near future. I get all the Lead Pipe I want from the City; Chief of Police saves it for me. I don't know what alloy I wind up with but it pours well and I drop them directly into water to raise the BHN. My admixture is basically a 2 to 1 WW's to Pure Lead by volume. So far I haven't noticed Leading in any of my (4) 45's. Oh, I also add some Pewter I got from Goodwill. It's Pewter plates that are stamped Pewter on the bottom.

Buckeye Marksman

Postby Buckeye Marksman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 am

Sparky45 wrote:Right now I only cast for 45Cal. Hope to cast 38/357 in the near future. I get all the Lead Pipe I want from the City; Chief of Police saves it for me. I don't know what alloy I wind up with but it pours well and I drop them directly into water to raise the BHN. My admixture is basically a 2 to 1 WW's to Pure Lead by volume. So far I haven't noticed Leading in any of my (4) 45's. Oh, I also add some Pewter I got from Goodwill. It's Pewter plates that are stamped Pewter on the bottom.

Yep, pewter is a good source of tin to help your lead pour better and to fill out your bullet molds. Another caster here in Ohio uses the ball tip of an ink pen to test the hardness of the pewter he picks up in thrift stores. If the brass ball scratches the metal, then it is probably pewter (tin).

mascotal

Postby mascotal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am

I'm also having trouble getting good wheel weights. Most lead is headed for the recycle depot these days. Therefore I decided to follow where it goes and I found that most of it is melted back into bars and ingots that we can buy at local metal distributors. The cost and effort of sorting through wheel weights, fighting with tire shops, and using propane to melt them into bars just isn't worth it to me. It's a lot of extra work and money just so I can say I kinda got them for free. Also, I never really know what kind of alloy I'm shooting with that way. I can buy lead of any alloy I want and cast my own bullets for about 1/4 the cost of store bought. Just makes more sense to me.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 am

I don't cast boolits yet but am gathering up the stuff I need. Still got a ways to go I guess, but am anxious to get started. I got a five gallon bucket full of wheel weights today at the local tire store. Think I will smelt it outside with a cast iron pot and a weedburner torch. Think that will work???

mascotal

Postby mascotal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:45 am

Lead melts real easy but remember it's also real hot. Use all the safety gear and get yourself a long handle spoon to take out all the metal clips and general crap that floats to the top. Also, don't scrape off to much of the film that develops on top of the melted metal. That's tin and you probably want to retain that in your alloy. Flux the alloy then pour it into your molds. Your torch will probably melt the lead just fine but you need to keep constant heat on the pot or the lead will start to set once again. You'll end up with a solid pot that you can't lift off the ground. lol
For Gawd sakes don't melt lead if it's going to rain.

Return to “Bullet casting”