Indexing rod damage

This forum is for links to threads that offer a definitive fix for a specific Load Master problem. Please post each link separately with a portion of a message that describes the problem or fix. If you want to discuss the issues further, please do so in the original threads.

Moderator: darwin

darwin
Site Admin

Indexing rod damage

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:59 am

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/foru ... .php?t=169

i had a few jams of the indexer similar to the shadowdog video where he describes the shell plate rotating backwards a bit on the handle up stroke.

it was causing an occasional bind at the point where the indexer is canted outwards to grab the next lug to push it to the next station.

apparently during one of these jams i inadvertently peened the end of the index rod and it greatly magnified the occurrence of the shell plate jerking backward a bit during the reset by grabbing the lug a little during retraction. it was jerking the shellplate backwards a little on every cycle.

simple and easy fix was to just take a flat file and remove the burr. i dulled the end of the indexer on all four sides and it is smooth as silk now. no more backwards jerk of the shell plate on indexer extraction.

bryan.

DOC H

index rod damage

Postby DOC H » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 am

HEY DARWIN, I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. my LLM is less than a year old & it's doing the same thing. I e-mailed LEE & sent them a picture. they said that there going to send me a replacement index rod & new flipper. it also seems like the carrier is out of time. Are there any reel good videos on resetting timing? or should I send it back to LEE?

USMCCpl

Postby USMCCpl » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm

I sent u two links to do timing. Hope it helps.

carload9

polish

Postby carload9 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:19 pm

i just polished index bar with 1800 up thru 6000 samd paper.

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Another fix here is to hammer-punch the inside four corners of the ejector, to make it fit really snug against the center lug. Not sure but this may have been a MagicMike trick a few years ago, as I have not seen it anywhere lately? Its like, set the punch 1/16" off of each of the inside corners of the square hole, whack moderately but not too much, and it tightens the fit. Another fix is to screw out the bar's plastic flipper two or three turns, which tightens the indexing. Try it.

Grinding or sanding, then polishing the front edges of the rod will also help, so as they are rounded or beveled just a touch.

Update: Found that MagicMike link, it really works:
http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/foru ... highlight=

Return to “Load Master - Major Fixes”