Primer rocker arm not coming back up

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

CurlyShuffle

Primer rocker arm not coming back up

Postby CurlyShuffle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am

Hello All,

I was in the middle of loading some 9mm and I noticed that the indexing was binding up. After some initial investigation, I found out that the primer rocker arm isn't springing back up, causing the Loadmaster not to Index. In fact, when I try to manually manipulate it, the rocker arm itself seems rather stiff. This is after I took apart the primer shoot and the primer spring that is associated with it. Do you think that possibly the rocker arm spring has broken/worn out or possibly the arm? Or perhaps I just need to take off the arm and give that area a good cleaning and a re-lube? Has anyone else encountered this before?

Gillie Dog

Re: Primer rocker arm not coming back up

Postby Gillie Dog » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Do just like you said. Clean, clean, clean.

As well as check for primer pin and pin spring being installed properly and everything real clean. No binding on primer arm.

Look for cracked carrier, clean real well, lube arm with the smallest amount of light grease on sides and pivot bolt, test for function by pushing down with finger.

How many rounds has this primer arm and carrier done? Should be good for many 10s or 100 thousands.

GD

CurlyShuffle

Postby CurlyShuffle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I had some time off this afternoon, so after doing some shooting at a local range, I decided to look into my primer arm issue further. Well, I guess a "worse case scenario" happened. The carrier has cracked near the primer arm. No mistaking it. :cry: :evil:

I think I only loaded about 1500-2000 rounds of .40 and 9mm through the press. Should I contact Lee about a replacement or just look into purchasing a new carrier?

erle

Postby erle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 pm

I would contact Lee.

They have been known to be very good about warranty replacement of parts.

Erle

bfox

Postby bfox » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 pm

If you go to lee's sight , then go to warranty and from there to submit a ticket . If you take a picture of the crack in the carrier and say you would like a replacement they will take care of it .

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:46 am

Like said, LEE will warranty it. They also are charging just shipping on many parts these days, make a "cart" on their site with any wanted parts, go to payment page and it shows $0.00 for most/all parts and a shipping charge.

This can happen if the primer arm is adjusted to try and push primers in to far. Especially with range brass and inconsistent primer pockets or if not adjusted when doing caliber changes. That said I run all range brass in those two calibers and have yet to crack a carrier, I do adjust with caliber changes just for drill. I also do not have "failure to fire" incidents with range brass in Glock's so the machine seems to be working fine this way for my purposes.

GD

zomby woof

Postby zomby woof » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Happens when you try to seat the primers deep and you're using mixed brass. I've had the spent primers stick and pull back in, next you're trying to feed a primer and put too much force on the carrier and crack the carrier. The fix is to reinforce the carrier in it's weak spot.

Return to “Load Master forum”