Rusting Dies

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

llangston1

Rusting Dies

Postby llangston1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm

During my recent reloading session I noticed a lot of my other caliber dies that are installed on other turrets are getting a lot of surface rust on them. How should I clean all that off? Should I dry tumble them? Or is that a problem with getting all the media residue out of the dies? What sort of abrasive or brushes can be used. Steel wire, brass wire or plastic brushes? I plan on spraying them with Hornady One shot after they are good and clean.

Yoda

Re: Rusting Dies

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Steel wool should clean them up

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:58 pm

An oily rag or an SOS pad. The first may give them protection against rusting again.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 pm

The Lee Reloading group on FB suggested using vinegar. I soaked the rusty dies in a bowl of white vinegar for a hour or so and it worked very well. I also scrubbed the dies with a soft bristle brush. That got all the rust off and then I cleaned then with brake clean, wiped them off and then sprayed them with Hornady One shot lube. Since I don't use these dies as much as my 9mm dies I will probably take them out of the turrets and put them back in their Lee boxes.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Well so much for the vinegar treatment. It might have removed the rust but the Hornady One shot lube did nothing to prevent the rust from coming back . I went out and looked at the dies today and they are a heck of a lot more rustier than they were when I use the vinegar on them. I would have left them alone if I had know they would look worse. I sprayed them down in PB Blaster and closed them up in a plastic container. I will go look at them again tomorrow. Will I need to keep them in a oily rag or a oil bath to prevent the rust from returning?

Return to “Load Master forum”