Decapping on the Load Master

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

CHEECH

Decapping on the Load Master

Postby CHEECH » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:02 pm

I have both the Lee Classic Cast single stage press as well as their Classic Turret press and I love the way the spent primers are collected in a PVC tube underneath the press. I recently purchased the Load Master and HATE the way the spent primers are collected inside the ram. It's really not an issue to me though because I decap my brass using the single stage press prior to cleaning the brass anyway but, couldn't Lee's engineers come up with a better way to collect the spent primers and all of the dirt that goes with them on this press instead of them collecting inside the ram? By the way, I sold my Hornady LNL AP and purchased the Lee Turret press because I don't shoot enough to warrant having a progressive press. However, the more I looked at the LM, the more I decided I needed a progressive again. Even though I don't. Overall, I'm very pleased with this press and I don't find it nearly as finicky as people make it out to be.

Gillie Dog

Re: Decapping on the Load Master

Postby Gillie Dog » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Some folks have made tube setups to go in the bottom of the ram for continuous "drain" of spent primers. I just let it fill up and then empty it and clean it out a little. But it really makes no difference to me since I have a Load Master dedicated to decapping before stainless pin tumbling, etc. The others then do the loading.

Just for general information, the ram will hold 2,000 large pistol primers. :D I found out doing a large batch of 45 ACP.

GD

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Gillie Dog wrote:
Just for general information, the ram will hold 2,000 large pistol primers. :D I found out doing a large batch of 45 ACP.

GD

That's interesting info "Gillie Dog". I use my LM for 9mm only at this point, and it does make a great depriming tool before pin cleaning. I generally clean the ram after each "depriming" session and only once did I overfill the ram with spent primers (small) in a 9mm depriming spree....locks up the press.. :D took about 2 hours.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Horseman wrote:only once did I overfill the ram with spent primers (small) in a 9mm depriming spree....locks up the press..

Yep, locking up press is how I knew it was full also. :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

GD

Return to “Load Master forum”