New, improved, and better shell plates???

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

motopic

Postby motopic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:48 pm

When sideways or when reloading crimped cases just a halfway in primer, I have to remove the whole casing + shellholder, then with a small flat screwdriver gently pry the primer out.

When I was cutting crimps from cases about every 10th one would get 'stuck' on a tiny bit of remaining crimp. The trick was to recognize that the primer wasn't going to go any further and stop. I could pry the primer out, and reuse it later.

Since I started swaging with a RCBS swager I do not have this problem anymore.

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:06 pm

As it happens, from what the guy at Lee told me, they've decided to revert to the original design. Seems, as I recall, that the new design was somehow actually causing crushed primers for some people, probably because they didn't have a die in station 2 to force the case into proper alignment with the hole.

I did discuss with them the need for a deeper groove underneath the primer so that it would be possible to clear a case with a crushed primer, but that is mooted by their reversion to the original design...

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 am

kcbrown wrote:As it happens, from what the guy at Lee told me, they've decided to revert to the original design. Seems, as I recall, that the new design was somehow actually causing crushed primers for some people, probably because they didn't have a die in station 2 to force the case into proper alignment with the hole.

I did discuss with them the need for a deeper groove underneath the primer so that it would be possible to clear a case with a crushed primer, but that is mooted by their reversion to the original design...

Oddly with the new shellplate i have not crushed a single primer and i don't use a sizing die in station two. I have not used it as much as the others yet and in all fairness the only time i have crushed primers with the old style plates or sliders is when i let crimped primer pockets slip in the mix. We will have to wait and see if the info you got was valid though because for some reason the customer service folks at lee don't seem to know what is going on with new products... i gripe about that a lot, but on several occasions they have had no idea what i inquired about and it took a conversation with John to get an informative answer.

Return to “Load Master forum”