Auto-Disk Powder Measure not dropping powder

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

swampy

Postby swampy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 pm

When I load with light flake powders like IMR 800X I loosen the bolts that hold the press down so the powder measure gets a good shakin with each stroke. It doesn't have to be much. Just enough to move the powder around. No more squibbs!

rtpzwms

Postby rtpzwms » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I've seen this when loading very small amounts of blue dot and unique powders. What I saw was powder bridging in the hopper. The fix for me was a micro vibrator from radio shack. I put it in a box with AA batteries and a switch. I think the whole thing was about 12 bucks and I can use it on any of my auto powder units with a couple of rubber bands to hold it all together.
The other was to switch powders to something like 231.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 am

A while back , I had some problems with my disk measure dropping light charges .

Well , like almost every mechanical device , it needs a little Preventive Maintenance ( and cleaning ) every once in a while . After which , it resumed working fine .

It had always worked well , so it got neglected .

God bless
Wyr

mdevers

powder drops

Postby mdevers » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 pm

just got a new LM and having the powder drop issue out of the box. I am loading bullseye and using the auto disk .49. It should be dropping 4.7 gr but usually closer to 4.3. I notice the disk doesn't completely make it to the edge of the assembly. Sometimes even though the disk is moving the powder is dropped on the center of the disk and piles up until I take the hooper off. Also, noticed I can't get any flare even when die is nearly touching shellplate. Any ideas?

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 pm

You don't have the pdr measure adjusted properly. The disk holes, even though they will show a certain amount of grains of powder, will not always be exactly what it figures out. You just need to adjust up or down with the disk to get what you want it to scale. The density of powder can change slightly between lot numbers, hence the difference in what the table says and what is actual.

WyrTwister

Re: powder drops

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 am

mdevers wrote:just got a new LM and having the powder drop issue out of the box. I am loading bullseye and using the auto disk .49. It should be dropping 4.7 gr but usually closer to 4.3. I notice the disk doesn't completely make it to the edge of the assembly. Sometimes even though the disk is moving the powder is dropped on the center of the disk and piles up until I take the hooper off. Also, noticed I can't get any flare even when die is nearly touching shellplate. Any ideas?

I seemed to have missed out , what caliber ?

I seem to remember reading Lee makes a small disk for small charges of Bulleseye ?

But I have successfully loaded a consistent 5 grains of Bulleseye .

Also , I think you can wipe the internal parts down with a Cling Free dryer sheet to kill any static electricity ?

The disks usually throw a little under what the charts indicate . Try one size larger hole . Or maybe 2 sizes larger .

God bless
Wyr

carload9

pencil

Postby carload9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:39 am

use #2 pencil on everything that touches powder after you figure out indexrod.

Return to “Load Master forum”