Auto-Disk Powder Measure not dropping powder

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Msfinlayson

Auto-Disk Powder Measure not dropping powder

Postby Msfinlayson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I recently started to have problems with my powder drop on my loadmaster. I have had my loadmaster for about 6 months and have loaded close to 6,000 rounds with it. In my last 1,000 rounds of 9mm I started to catch that i was not dropping powder in 2-4 cases per hundred i can not figure out why this is happening i am not short cycling it. It is alway fine on the next case after it did not drop powder. it is completely random. Any ideas. Thanks

helg

Postby helg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Which powder and cave do you use?

Msfinlayson

Postby Msfinlayson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 pm

I had it happen twice while using auto disk .40. Then i had it happen while using the adjustable powder bar. Probably 2-4 times per hundred. I am using Hp-38 for my powder. Thanks

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm

I've used the pro disc measure for at least 15 years and as long as I remember to turn the hopper on and have the disc or micro disc properly attached to the actuating arm none have ever failed to throw a charge. I currently have six of them and use them on both the loadmaster and turret press. It has two moving parts the actuating arm and the disc, if they're both moving and you have powder in the hopper and turned to on, it will drop powder.
This is assuming the die is complete and properly set.

helg

Postby helg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 pm

I had similar problem with Red Dot/.46 cave, and solved it this way. The HP38/W231 has smaller flakes than RedDot, but you use smaller cavity than I did with the RD. It well may be powder bridging.

If it is bridging, you should see it way more often with the next smaller cavity. Try to get a dozen or two of test drops with .37/.34cc caves. If you get no powder within the set, this is definitely due to bridging.

zuke

Postby zuke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Have you looked thru the tube the powder drop's thru?
Mine did the same till I took it apart and saw that it was almost plugged with powder.
Check the die also and clean'em both with rubbing alcohol while your at it.

Trinidad Bill

Postby Trinidad Bill » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 am

I am with Zuke, take it apart and clean it throughly. Especially the little rubber wiper on the bottom of the hopper. I use soap and water.

It makes a world of difference!

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:49 am

I can see where flake powders and small cavities could be a problem. I don't load with anything that small but It's my understanding that the micro disc has different shapes to their cavities for smaller charges.

zmmnm3

Postby zmmnm3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Had the same issue. I cleaned the moving parts with alcohol and then made sure of the chain adjustment and no more issue. Main reason was the chain adjustment, too loose and it sometimes does not reset the measure.

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:13 am

Not an answer to you question but my solution was ball powders and small flake/extruded powders that consistently deliver very uniform charges.

prs

Postby prs » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I started to post a few days back about a time when I encountered a situation where the disk was not traveling forward far enough to totally align with the hole in the floor of the measure; but I did not because I could not remember what the problem turned out to be, nor what the remedy was. So I waited to get a chance to look over my press to see if it jarred my memory. It did not :( , at least for sure it did not. It seems as if I have some fuzzy recollection of the screw being loose that holds the lever that pushes the disk -- the other end coupling to the bead chain -- and that this caused an erratic bind. But just can not remember for sure. Sorry. Bead chain being too slack would be an obvious cause, we do tend to over look the obvious, I suppose.

I drop three different powders and one filler through my Lee Pro Auto Disk measures. I have to say, other than that one gltch long ago, they all feed with remarkable consistency. Unique, ffg black powder, TrailBoss, and Quaker Quick Grits. With a given disk or setting on the adjustable cavity, the weighed charge dropped is amazingly consistent.

Now, the difference in charges dropped between different disks is not as predictable, especially going to smaller charges -- a slightly smaller disk may drop a significantly smaller dose. Plus using the double disk kit, using a single disk of size X will drop a charge larger than using two disks of size 1/2X -- yet still consistent given my operation style. I think I enjoy consistent charges because I tend to hit my down stroke press stops firmly and I tend to begin my up strokes abruptly. Watching the power measure "bottles" the powder gets a good "jolt" or shake when I hit the stops and another as the internal case size die abruptly pulls out of the cases. Maybe that motion keeps my powder settled and from bridging.

I really expected the TrailBoss to give me fits as it is a large fluffly disk type of powder, but it is also very consistent, again, even using the adjustable charge bar that most folks complain about.

Msfinlayson

Postby Msfinlayson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:14 pm

I want to say thank you to everyone for all the help and tips. I am cleaning everything and try all suggestion will let you know if i find the cause.

Buckwheat71220

Quick grits??

Postby Buckwheat71220 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 pm

I am new to reloading, so I'm gonna ask -- Why are you using a filler? and why Quick grits??

knotbrush

Postby knotbrush » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 am

Try an aquarium pump or cell phone vibrator attached to the hopper. There's a few articles here about such.

prs

Re: Quick grits??

Postby prs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Buckwheat71220 wrote:I am new to reloading, so I'm gonna ask -- Why are you using a filler? and why Quick grits??

I load 45 Colt revolver cartridges with real black powder. Real black powder has to be compressed some to get efficient ignition and to avoid hang-fires. Full 45 Colt shell cases hold a whole lot of black powder if you do not use a filler. That makes for very stout loads and expensive to boot. So, I reduce my charges a bit and use Quaker Quick Grits to fill the excess room and to allow compression. The quick grits makes a top layer that is hard packed, yet brittle. They also tend to not leak out of the powder hopper and foul the press like the other common filler (cornmeal) does. This gives me more economical shooting for practice and tends to be way more comfy with my Carpel's tunnel wrist problems.

PigeonRoost Slim

Return to “Load Master forum”