curiousity got me, ordered new primer assemblies

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

prs

curiousity got me, ordered new primer assemblies

Postby prs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:57 pm

I just had to have them to see them. I purchased outright since my old style units were not malfunctioning and thus Lee should not be asked to replace good stuff. I have lots of spare parts old style too.

Just gotta see that elephant! :P

prs

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 pm

I just got mine today too and after looking at them I've got a question maybe someone can answer. It looks to me that after you've used the last brass in the case feeder or put the last brass in the shellplate and once that last piece has been primed and you continue to cycle the last stations that a primer will be fed into the primer feeder and will "drop" down into the press. The old style would bring the primer back if no case were present. I haven't installed it yet as the old style works fine for me, so maybe I'm missing something by just looking at how it appears to work.?????

acman

Postby acman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 pm

The primers will sit in the main trough untill the primer arm is pushed back by the new case. Primers can in fact be pushed into the ram if you have the issue I had with my first one. I'm pretty sure the main purpose of the "recurved" plastic arm,is to make sure only one primer enters the slider at a time. should this arm become damaged, more than one primer can try to enter the slider area. When that occurs, you will have problems for sure. I think the intent with the open end of the slider area is to allow a mis fed (errant) primer to fall into the ram ahead of the dedicated one, preventing a double primer situation.
Old Pros-correct me if I am wrong about this...

God Bless,
AC

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:44 am

I was curious too so ordered one from Lee as soon as I saw them. Worked great after running 250 rounds initially. Unfortunately after about 2,000 rounds it began to double feed primers even though there was no apparent damage or crud down in it. I am now back to using my old style priming trough which still works like a charm. I'm going to wait until they have been out a little longer before I order another one.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Smitty62 wrote:I'm going to wait until they have been out a little longer before I order another one.

I hope you call Lee support and discuss your experience. At minimum, they need customer feedback if they are to be aware of what works and does not work in the real world.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Yeah I probably should. An E-Mail will probably be quicker though. I was disappointed as after the 1st time I ran it it was going really well. But then again the old setup has never caused me much grief and that was self inflicted.

acman

Postby acman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey Smitty,
Take a look at that recurved piece of plastic at the primer trough entrance. I think that is where I had all of my issues start. It can also become lodged out of place , it needs to be sticking into the slider area. It can get caught outside of the area stuck behind the slider trough.

Regards,
AC

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Well, I bought two of the small and one large and so far like the old setup better. Like Smitty I haven't had any problems other than one I caused with either the small or large old style. I hope they bring the old style back so I can have some more small sliders, although I've got five of the new smalls on hand and have only ever ruined one small which was my fault.

motopic

Postby motopic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:53 pm

We can make sliders ourselves.

A company called Alumilite makes all sorts of casting resins.
And the sliders are a very simple mold.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Well I did send Lee an E-Mail describing my experiences with the new trough. acman I can't check it out since it went into the trash can. It did look like a more robust design but appearances can be deceptive. I do have confidence though that Lee will get any flaws worked out but sometimes progress comes in small increments. I think the Loadmaster is one of the best presses on the market today.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:29 am

I like the new style primer assemblies . For me , they seem to work better .

And so far , no damaged sliders . Knock on wood , theow salt over the shoulder , cross fingers , etc. .

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:57 pm

I did receive a very nice E-Mail from John Lee about this new primer trough and they are going to send me a trough that has had some modifications made for field testing. Gotta love their service.

Return to “Load Master forum”