Carrier

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

Carrier

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:01 pm

In the past , I have read posts about cracked carriers . Well , I discovered mine is cracked .

Sent an email to Lee this AM .

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/WyrTwister/

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:40 pm

That sucks. Send it back.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Wyr, did you buy your LM new or used. Just curious why you would break a carrier.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:57 pm

myloadm61 wrote:Wyr, did you buy your LM new or used. Just curious why you would break a carrier.

New .

Here is what I have been told happens .

De-priming fails ( that has certainly happened to me ) . The case with the spent primer still present moves to station # 2 . Here , the LM tries to insert a new primer in a case that still has the old primer .

Obviously , this does not work and causes a problem with the priming system . That we can see .

What we can not see is an enormous amount of force ends up being applied to the primer rocker . A lot of that force is concentrated on the screw that acts as the pivot / fulcrum of the primer rocker .

Sooner or later , the carrier cracks at that place .

I am open to other explanations ?

God bless
Wyr

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:03 pm

I use three LM almost daily and just went and checked to see if I had a crack and I DO NOT. My opinion on the cracking is that there is too much "horse" on the handle. Seems to me that one would notice the extra pressure required to operate the handle and would stop before and continuing to force it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have loaded thousands of rounds with each of these presses and no cracks.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:11 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I use three LM almost daily and just went and checked to see if I had a crack and I DO NOT. My opinion on the cracking is that there is too much "horse" on the handle. Seems to me that one would notice the extra pressure required to operate the handle and would stop before and continuing to force it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have loaded thousands of rounds with each of these presses and no cracks.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

You are probably right .

The press mounted next to the LM is the cast iron turret press . I never ( that I can remember ) broke anything on it ?

I guess I was used to applying any amount of force to a press .

I can understand the LM can not take that .

I suppose I am slow to learn ? :-(

However , once I cracked it , at some point , it is easy to understand that it would continue to crack .

Wonder if Lee designed it to crack there , in order to prevent / limit damage to some more expensive part or parts ?

God bless
Wyr

motopic

Postby motopic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Wonder if Lee designed it to crack there , in order to prevent / limit damage to some more expensive part or parts ?

I would not set the failure point to be the relatively expensive carrier. It should have been set with a smaller screw that would break first. small screws are pennies. Still thats a hard thing to design in such a way as to be reliable. Besides I could see someone thinking the screw was too small and modifying it for a larger screw...

acman

Postby acman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey Wyr,
Bummer man. On the bright side, I have no doubt Lee will send you a new one promptly. I have learned to stop and see what the cause of a "hard cycle" is before I break something but not before mangling my only two old style sliders...Hope you get up and running again soon.
Time to cast bullets in the mean time...( BTW I will get one of my TL 124 gr 9mm SWCs dia. measured for you soon. Mine are pretty accurate with win 231 @ 3.3-3.4 gr)

God bless,
AC

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Well I've not broken a carrier but if I do I have a spare. I don't like to have to wait for parts if I do break something. Hope you are back up and loading soon.

prs

Postby prs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Wtwister;

Didn't you have a problem with erratic, but frequent tipped, mashed primers and missed primers. I think one or some of the responses cautioned regarding cracked carrier. The hallmark symptome is that such misprimes occur, you adjust and index and get it running again fine, but soon it fubs up again. The "art" of running this press is to STOP as soon as anything feels "funny".

The carrier is not too expensive and it comes with the rocker and spring pre-installed.

prs

Hughes

Postby Hughes » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:07 pm

WyrTwister wrote:

God bless
Wyr

I doubt seriously they put that much thought into the design but I could be wrong. The LM is a good loader but the priming system is the weak link. I know there are folks that have never had an issue but it seems that they are in the minority. I accept that I'm going to have some crushed and flipped primers. I've got my failure rate down to roughly 10 per 1000 and that is good enough for me.

Kent

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:09 am

prs wrote:Wtwister;

Didn't you have a problem with erratic, but frequent tipped, mashed primers and missed primers. I think one or some of the responses cautioned regarding cracked carrier. The hallmark symptome is that such misprimes occur, you adjust and index and get it running again fine, but soon it fubs up again. The "art" of running this press is to STOP as soon as anything feels "funny".

The carrier is not too expensive and it comes with the rocker and spring pre-installed.

prs

Actually , thinks had been running better , not very many problems at all ( lately ) .

I credit this partly with the new priming system and , maybe , I am slowly getting closer to being even with the learning curve ?

Maybe , if I had not cracked the carrier , I would have had even fewer problems ?

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:13 am

motopic wrote:

I would not set the failure point to be the relatively expensive carrier. It should have been set with a smaller screw that would break first. small screws are pennies. Still thats a hard thing to design in such a way as to be reliable. Besides I could see someone thinking the screw was too small and modifying it for a larger screw...

If Lee does not want the old one back , I am thinking of trying to repair and reinforce it .

Maybe with J B Weld and a side plate of flat steel ? With a hole in the side plate , naturally , for the head of the screw .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:16 am

Smitty62 wrote:Well I've not broken a carrier but if I do I have a spare. I don't like to have to wait for parts if I do break something. Hope you are back up and loading soon.

Good idea / plan .

If Lee does not want this one back , I may try to fix it & save it for a spare .

No doubt I forced things when I should have stopped and investigated the problem . :-(

More than once .

God bless
Wyr

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 am

I broke one the same way. I didn't notice it at all a the time, but noticed a LOT of priming problems afterward. I had a video camera running at the time and when I watched it I could hear a CRACK sound.

You won't likely notice the extra pressure because it all happens in the last fraction of an inch of travel of the ram.

Return to “Load Master forum”