Site Admin

Troubleshooting

Postby darwin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:49 pm

This thread is for trouble shooting tips

jfh

Troubleshooting Workflows

Postby jfh » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks for setting this up, Darwin.

For other posters here--I'm going to try to develop a good set of posts for troubleshooting workflows as we get more collective knowledge, and they will go into this thread. IOW, what goes in here will be not just the discrete bit about (for example) what die setting to use for a given station, but a "bigger picture" format for that comment.

I intend to continue to modify / adjust previous posts here to refine the route. Given my pefectionistic bent in writing, the information here will probably come in sporadically, and will be edited at least a few times.

Jim H.

jfh

The Initial Setup - for new owners / users

Postby jfh » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:35 am

Here's a list of the steps Lee lists in its written instructions accompanying the Load-Master. Hopefully, this kind of 'rewrite' will clarify the factory-supplied manual.

(to be continued....)

Jim H.

Shadowdog500

Postby Shadowdog500 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 pm

I've always thought that the instructions should be redone from scratch. All of the information is there but you have to read the instructions several times to catch some of the important things. The poor instructions are one of the reasons that I started to make videos.

If someone here is a good writer and is willing to take a whack at writing a good Loadmaster instruction manual from scratch, I would be willing to help out with graphics/photos and loadmaster technical suggestions.

This would probably be a good team project for the forum members, because it may be too big a load for one person, unless they really like to write.

Chris

jfh

Postby jfh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:49 pm

I have the writing skills, I think. My own background includes an undergraduate degree in English, and I have pedagogical skills from an MAT degree. What I am working on right now is a 'workflow' type chart that provides a coherent set of instructions for initial setup and trouble-shooting. Sorting out the structure for doing that is the trick.

Once I have that, I figured I would plug in links to the videos--and turn it into a collaborative effort as well, Chris.

Now, OTOH, if Lee would hire us to do a complete interactive / downloadable manual, I would be fired up for that--VBG.

Jim H.

nicknitro71

Postby nicknitro71 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:02 pm

I'll provide some help. I write scientific papers (I have a Ph.D. in intelligent systems). I also have great computer skills.

There is a lot to write and most of us got day-time jobs, so I guess someone should be put in charge of the "divide-and-concur" and then we can have a master editor for polishing up the grammar and sentence flow.

Yes it would be great if Lee would provide us with something...maybe some fat discounts! :wink:

This could very well turn into the best press reloading manual ever :D

benedict1

Postby benedict1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:01 pm

nick and shadow--is this going anywhere? What do we need to do to get this organized?

jfh

Postby jfh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm currently working on simply transcribing and editing the standard Lee printed instructions that come with the press. Then I'm going to use that to outline Lee's structure and modify it as needed for our own work here.

If nicknitro71 has the skills (and it sounds like he might), it would be neat to develop a prototype script system with conditional branching--i.e., depending on what spot one is in while using the manual, a link would take you one direction or another--for example, continue with setup, or further into a decision tree for redirection in troubleshooting.

Does this sound plausible to you, nick?

If we do it right, it could become almost a template for other manuals, or for other sections.

Jim H.

Shadowdog500

Postby Shadowdog500 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:18 am

benedict1 wrote:nick and shadow--is this going anywhere? What do we need to do to get this organized?

If they write it, I will review it and make suggestions for their consideration. I am also willing to take any photos, or video clips or animations for the instruction manual. I really think it would be neat to make this strictly an electronic document so that it could be linked to other documents and could contain video clips and animations.

I really don’t want to do any of the writing. I sometimes write papers and reports for my job and hate that part of it. I am a visual person that thinks in figures and pictures, not words. Writing my thoughts don't always come easy for me but for some reason sharing those same thoughts in video comes more easily because I can show what is happening without having to describe it in text.

Walter, some time ago you were thinking about taking a project like this on. Are you still interested? I believe you like to write.

Starting Monday I will be without a loadmaster until I can get my hands on another one. I had a friend offer me a good price for mine because it was all set up and working correctly and I took the offer. I am working on a deal on a used one for $100 but won’t find out if it is mine until Monday. If that falls through I will find another used one or may break down and get another new one. I can't take any photos or videos until then.

Chris

nicknitro71

Postby nicknitro71 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:51 am

It sounds like we have a deal.

I guess a power point format would be optimal as many already have this program installed.

Here is the deal:

For ever session below pick what you would like do to, i.e. writing, pictures, videos or all of the above! Once you're done, send me an e-mail @ nicknitro71@yahoo.com and I include them in the manuscript. When done I send the final document to Darwin and Chris for the final editing. The final document will reside on this server.

Here are the parts:

-Building a Table for the Press
-Mounting the Press
-Case Inserter
-General Theory of Operation
-General Indexing
-Indexing Troubleshooting and Modifications
-Set Primer Depth
-Set the Dies (all Configuration, from 3 to 5)
-Powder Disk Measure
-Perfect Powder Measure
-Priming System Theory
-Set Priming System (including loading the tray and the blast shield)
-Case Feeder and Modifications
-Bullet Feeder
-Empty the Spent Primers
-Changing the Turret
-Changing Calibers
-Changing the Priming Tool
-Changing the Shell Plate
-Lubrication

Note that probably we have all the videos however some of them are too long and they need to be broken down into specific topics (see above).

I do not like the idea of a troubleshooting session. All the troubleshooting should be covered in the individual sessions.

jfh

Postby jfh » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:27 pm

nicknitro71:

1. I agree that a PowerPoint format is an excellent way to start. FWIW, I also think a HTML / script-driven package would be more universal.

2. I will contribute a revised Lee printed instructions text to begin with. That set of instructions will also need revision, as this project moves forward. I will continue to do that--it will help to maintain a consistent 'voice' / persona / perspective for the entire project.

Question: How do any / all of you see using this printed set of instructions--for printed pp screens, for a voiceover?

As for the troubleshooting section--I am not sure that we can do without this. The problem is, AFAICT, that if we break down the topics by a 'subject', as you have done, the troubleshooting often needs to be done through interactions between each subject and / or subsystem. It is this question I am trying to sort out when I talk about conditional branches / scripting....

Jim H.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:59 pm

I'm in awe of this project and the willingness of you all to participate. If my setup or other videos has video that can be linked for a particular subject I'd be glad to provide edited versions oe refilm them as needed.

:)

Shadowdog500

Postby Shadowdog500 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:21 pm

I taught someone how to set up a loadmaster last night and he typed up notes from the procedure I showed him. I edited the notes and sent it to Darwin, uncle Don and Benedict for comment. Hopefully this will take care of the tool head setup section of the instructions. I will post it here for comment when we are finished with it.

Thanks,

Chris

Shadowdog500

Postby Shadowdog500 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:50 pm

An interesting topic came up during the editing of my setup procedures.

I envisioned that this document would be written from scratch using the procedures that we believe to be best even if they contradict the procedures in the Lee manual. Benedict believes that the methods in the current Lee Loadmaster manual are correct and this effort is to clarify those procedures without changes.

Since I am not the one who is actually writing the new document I really don’t have a strong opinion which path you take, as long as it is better than the poor instruction manual that Lee put out. However, I do believe that this issue must be discussed and agreed on before people start writing the various sections of the new document.

Benedict, I hope I didn't misrepresent you position in this matter.

Chris

jfh

Postby jfh » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:42 am

First things first:

1. As I input the Lee Load-Master instructions, it is clear that their instructions try to accomplish several things at the same time.

a. They try to introduce reloading as a general subject as well as provide the standard precautions, etc. This is kind of information for the noob, as it were--and, having been there, that means that

b. The concise directions they provide are generally inadequate for getting the L-M up and running successfully by a noob--much less troubleshooting the setup.

Nonetheless, their directions are adequate--else all of us here wouldn't be here. Fortunately, for me it was my third (Lee) press, and I imagine all of us were mostly experienced enough to at least get going.

2. I think we can avoid contradicting any instructions provided by Lee--but I also think we can rewrite those instructions so they fit together better and make more sense with what we know, and with what the videos provide.

For the moment, I think the current list provided by nicknitro71 needs revision. But, I don't see that as being a problem since we have a good programmer for powerpoint. I think we need to group the subjects into some general categories--installation, then setup (with the typical subdivisions--case feeder, primer, dies, Powder Measure, etc., etc.), then testing.

Imagine the directions being a PP presentation, with appropriate graphics /pictures . The rewritten Lee instructions are laid out on on a screen with the appropriate picture --and we get have a button selection menu across the top / bottom, down the left, whatever. From these pictures one can play a video demonstrating the whole overview of that subtopic, or troubleshoot. As each section progresses into greater detail, the video clips become more limited, but the troubleshooting video may expand.

To summarize--

1. The (rewritten) text is basically the Lee directions, and

2. the still pictures (current or new) are what Lee does / might provide with a rewritten manual.

3. The video clips provide the 'realtime' example of the written directions.

4. The menu choices at the bottom allow the user to use this manual as he sees fit--i.e., sequentially, through the whole package, or intermittently as needed to review a specific section for troubleshooting.

Does this make sense to the rest of you?

Darwin, once you have the comments in place, would you mind if I edited for the style / tone issues I mentioned above?

Jim H.

Return to “Load Master forum”