Troubleshooting

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

rwilson452

nasty thought

Postby rwilson452 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 am

After you get it all polished up and ready to roll you get a copy write.

nicknitro71

Postby nicknitro71 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:44 am

Guys don't worry about the format! I might end up making a whole website and have Darwin put it on this sever. What we need now is the actual writing and the videos.

We do not have to follow Lee's format by any means.

I listed the topics. If you think we need to re-arrange and/or add more topics please do so.

This is the first step. Once we got all the topics figured out we can decide who does what. The videos should be truncated to fit individual topics and accompanied with pictures.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:56 am

Holy mackeral, I just went to your web site. That's some wild stuff!

jfh

A revised list / "script" is being worked on.

Postby jfh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Darwin has seen a couple of copies of it.

Last night I set it up in Word / Outline format. I am not much of a Word user, but I see that there are help topics for it to use an Outline to create a PowerPoint presentation.

After one or two more passes at shaping it up more, I will post it here--but the collapsing / expanding features of an outliner are what is needed to show both the form and the content for something like this.

There are about six main topics / Overviews right now--

Installation;
Press Assembly and Setup;
Press Testing and Adjustment;
Options Installations;
Maintenance;
Troubleshooting,
Appendices

Below the overviews are sets of topics--for example, under "Installation" is the 'next level' - press unpacking, parts identification, bench layout, press installation, component installation.

As Darwin suggested, there's the title screen; below it, the text for (for example) parts identification plays out, as a picture comes up behind the text. That sort of thing. Videos / snippets would be playable from a menu button--I just don't know what all PowerPoint can do--that's up to Nick.

If the rest of you would e-mail me --see the membership list for my e-mail--I'll send you the Word file.

Be patient--I tend to be perfectionistic at this stage, so it may be a day or three for a version 0.9 to be circulated.

Jim H.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:00 pm

I am thinking that photos are very important, short videos may be helpful,too.

If you want to see what a good reloading press instruction manual looks like, check this out

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/dil ... y_2007.pdf

I think it could give us an idea of what we might want ours to look like. A lot of close up photos illustrating specific actions

I can take photos, but have never had any luck adding text and putting lines to specific parts of the photos.

What do YOU all think?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Compare the Dillon instructions with this one:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in ... LM3231.pdf

:cry:

Shadowdog500

Postby Shadowdog500 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:06 am

The other day I setup a Dillon 550 using the manual that came with it. I literally just followed the steps shown in the pictures. After I was done, I read the text to see if I missed anything (I didn't). The pictures were strung together to show every step. A totally illiterate person probably could have followed those instructions.

We may want to do something similar in PowerPoint. Just make one page per step. In that page we can incorporate a picture and or illustration, text, and a link to an appropriate 30 second video.

Chris

nicknitro71

Postby nicknitro71 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:55 am

OK guys here is the deal:

I'll set up a web-site that Darwin can put on this server. The site will have all the info and links to pics and videos. It will much more user friendly than just a power point presentation.

Also we could ask Lee to put a link to it on their website.

I am also going to have a PDF manual as well so people can print it out and have it right next to them when they set up the press. Of course the PDF won't have the videos but it will include all the pics.

Now what I need is the writing, the pics, and the videos. Again the videos that we have now are fine but they need to be broken down.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:04 am

It's time to get going on the project. We have a new forum set up just for that and nicknitro71 has a new web page set up specifically for it,too.

http://manual.loadmastervideos.com

C.mon guys, let's get busy writin'

jfh

I have to apologize here....

Postby jfh » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:03 pm

at least, to the extent you guys are waiting on me.

earlier in this thread, I had cautioned I might be slow because I tend to be perfectionistic, I think. That's true enough. But what happened for me was first a segue into getting my tax info done.

And then, I started running into my own latest-set-of-Load-Master hassles...which was OK.

Except that I ended up with Writer's Block. It hardly ever happens to me, and who knows why (personally, I think it was the perfectionism), but it happened.

I think I am back writing again and should get my outline to a startable state within a week. Meanwhile, I am glad some of you have continued working on help stuff; keep going and I will catch up.

Jim H.

vietnam1947

Lee LoadMaster--/-- RCBS Rock Chucker II

Postby vietnam1947 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:16 pm

I just got my LM and have loader just over 400 rds using the help that has been on all these forums. Question is I have a friend that has a single stage RCBS RC II and need help, Does Any One KNOW of a Site like this one that I can give to him that will get him going. Thanks Fred vietnam1947@earthlink.net

easyrider604

Postby easyrider604 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:58 am

I will set-up my daughter and son-in-law's Loadmaster on my next visit. With the help of the instructions you fine gentlemen (darwin, shadowdog, nicknitro and jfh) put together and the youtube videos of shadowdog, I'm sure I will have no trouble putting their press together and will be loading lots of ammo.

Fantastic job! Many thanks to all of you!

easyrider604

Postby easyrider604 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 am

I will set-up my daughter and son-in-law's Loadmaster on my next visit. With the help of the instructions you fine gentlemen (darwin, shadowdog, nicknitro and jfh) put together and the youtube videos of shadowdog, I'm sure I will have no trouble putting their press together and will be loading lots of ammo.

Fantastic job! Many thanks to all of you!

Nate1778

Postby Nate1778 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 am

I got tired of having to pull primer pin and clean it every so often to keep from flipping primers. I pulled the rod and looked at the contact surface and it is rough even once its cleaned. I polished it starting with 200 grit paper and worked my way up to 2000 grit paper. I have gone 600 rounds thus far neigh a flipped primer. One wouldn't think the little surface on the end of the primer set would cause that much trouble, but now that it is polished it seams to work like a charm.

ProxyBoy

Postby ProxyBoy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:14 pm

No offense but shouldn't this topic be retitled?

This is mostly about rewriting of the manual... which is GREAT but there is not much "troubleshooting" really going on. Other than the dysfunctional manual. ;)

Return to “Load Master forum”