.44 Mag Powder-through-the-Expander Die

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

.44 Mag Powder-through-the-Expander Die

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 am

Has anyone had problems with this die not belling the mouth of the brass , enough ?

I kept lowering the die , until it was so low it prevented the ram / carrier from reaching Top Dead Center . ( I also think this was causing problems with a few primers not getting punched out ? )

I think a .44 Special die would solve this problem , but I do not want to wait on an order to arrive .

Alternate mod would be to grind off a little , from the bottom of the die and then champhor (sp) / bevel the mouth of the die ?

God bless
Wyr

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

I don't think grinding off the die will help. I too have a problem with the die(44 Mag) not belling the case enough with some bullets and have gone to a Lyman M die in station 2. Problem solved.
I used the universal expanding before that with ok results, but don't like the way those dies bell the case, but it worked to get enough bell on the mouth to help with bullet seating and it doesn't affect how the powder thru expanding works.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:19 pm

44 boolits seem to be all over the map from .428 to .431, but copper condom bullets should be within to SAAMI. Lee may have been anticipating a copper condom with bevel base. There are folks who make custom powder through inserts over on cast boolits forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

prs

acman

Postby acman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Hey Wyr,...
Yes. I recently experienced a similar occurrence when I changed back to 9mm. I had adjusted the die until it conflicted with a full stroke and still was not getting a good enough flare. I felt stupid when I figured out what my problem was. I only have one powder measure and so I took it off the die set for 38 spec. and reinstalled it onto the 9mm. I found that I needed to run the threaded adapter fully into the top of the powder thru die ( i had left it about three turns loose) when I tightened it down, just hand tight...my flare was back and I could back the die out to it's proper position. I'm not saying that is what you have going on, but just something you might check.

God Bless,
AC

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:56 pm

I measured the length of a piece of the CBC .44 Mag brass , last night . I think it was about 1.272" ? I think max length in the book is 1.285" ?

So , the brass is too short , which explains perfectly what I was experiencing .

A .44 Special die would cure this . Maybe the .44 Special expander insert ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:39 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I don't think grinding off the die will help. I too have a problem with the die(44 Mag) not belling the case enough with some bullets and have gone to a Lyman M die in station 2. Problem solved.
I used the universal expanding before that with ok results, but don't like the way those dies bell the case, but it worked to get enough bell on the mouth to help with bullet seating and it doesn't affect how the powder thru expanding works.

I filed the bottom of a .357 Mag powder die to get it to work on .38 Special .

I suspect it would work the same with .44 Mag / .44 Special .

It allows you to lower the die w/o the ram / carrier hitting the bottom of the die ( & preventing the carrier from reaching Top Dead Center ) .

God bless
wyr

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:41 pm

acman wrote:Hey Wyr,...
Yes. I recently experienced a similar occurrence when I changed back to 9mm. I had adjusted the die until it conflicted with a full stroke and still was not getting a good enough flare. I felt stupid when I figured out what my problem was. I only have one powder measure and so I took it off the die set for 38 spec. and reinstalled it onto the 9mm. I found that I needed to run the threaded adapter fully into the top of the powder thru die ( i had left it about three turns loose) when I tightened it down, just hand tight...my flare was back and I could back the die out to it's proper position. I'm not saying that is what you have going on, but just something you might check.

God Bless,
AC

I checked to see if the powder measure was screwed down all the way on the powder die . That was not the problem .

The longer .44 Special slider / insert / expander is on order .

According to Lee , the .44 Russian has an even longer expander & is available .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Load Master forum”