A couple issues with my new LM

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Blake

Postby Blake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Don't dump me here. I'm working to solve my problems because I have to believe that other LM owners are having no problems and I'm doing something wrong. Listen to this. After posting the above here's what I found.

My spring under the primer assy was bent and probably not doing what it was supposed to do. I straightened it, and then stretched it for more positive action. What that did was raise the primer assy above the primer ram and my priming issues went away 99%. I had 1 misprime per 13 v. 3. At a minimum I'm gaining on it.

One other major issue. I was using the Auto Powder Measure from my CT. No chain etc. Tonight the spring blew off, hit me in the shoulder (ouch) like a bullet. I thought I had my first primer explosion. In an effort to keep trying I installed the powder measure that came with the press (chain activated). Instantly everything became easier. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Blake, read the post I just put up about the case feeder. I don't have any more problems with cases getting hung up because they get tipped and caught on the feed tube. Glad to hear that you are making some progress with the priming issues.

mike

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:13 am

Blake wrote:Don't dump me here. I'm working to solve my problems because I have to believe that other LM owners are having no problems and I'm doing something wrong. Listen to this. After posting the above here's what I found.

My spring under the primer assy was bent and probably not doing what it was supposed to do. I straightened it, and then stretched it for more positive action. What that did was raise the primer assy above the primer ram and my priming issues went away 99%. I had 1 misprime per 13 v. 3. At a minimum I'm gaining on it.

One other major issue. I was using the Auto Powder Measure from my CT. No chain etc. Tonight the spring blew off, hit me in the shoulder (ouch) like a bullet. I thought I had my first primer explosion. In an effort to keep trying I installed the powder measure that came with the press (chain activated). Instantly everything became easier. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you.

Some or all of the primer assemblies seem to have a " dimple " on the underside . It looks like it might be intended to center / hold the top of the spring ?

But I know of no way to install the primer assembly in a way that will guarantee the top of the spring aligns with that " dimple " ?

Never the less , I pretty much do not think I have spring problems . I try to assure that the spring is reasonably straight and stretched out . If one end gets bent more than I can straighten out , I will reverse the spring and put the bent end inside the hole in the primer punch .

The primer punch needs to rise very close to the center of the notch in the shell plate . This is one of the reasons I harp on carrier alignment and to a lesser degree , the indexing .

And , if after repeated mess ups , you crack the carrier where the primer rocker arm pivot on the screw , the rocker arm is not straight and the primer punch is not coming up , straight .

As far as the spring return on the disk powder measure , I was told the chain return is safer , Less chance of double charge . I believe it .

God bless
Wyr

PS Try to keep a few spare springs in stock , they are cheap .

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm curious about the cracked carrier that continues to be mentioned. How or why would you crack the carrier. I run 4 LM almost continually, have loaded thousand of rounds and have never cracked one. Just curious what causes it. Doesn't seem like something that would happen very often, but seems to be brought up here a lot. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't see how it could be cracked without a lot of force or manufacturing defect. I have not broke one and there is some force in my arms. This is interesting. I have been following this post and I must have also missed the cracked shell carrier, except where Wyrtwistr mentioned it.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I'm curious about the cracked carrier that continues to be mentioned. How or why would you crack the carrier. I run 4 LM almost continually, have loaded thousand of rounds and have never cracked one. Just curious what causes it. Doesn't seem like something that would happen very often, but seems to be brought up here a lot. :?: :?: :?: :?:

If you try to put a primer into a case with the old primer still in it, the carrier can crack where the primer arm pivots on the back of the carrier. I had it happen once. I was recording and you could clearly hear a loud CRACK when it happened. I didn't realize what happened until later.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:00 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I'm curious about the cracked carrier that continues to be mentioned. How or why would you crack the carrier. I run 4 LM almost continually, have loaded thousand of rounds and have never cracked one. Just curious what causes it. Doesn't seem like something that would happen very often, but seems to be brought up here a lot. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Once upon a time , a person was running a LM . He was ginning along yanking and cranking to his heart's content .

He was having so much fun , he failed to notice the de-priming rod on the universal de-priming die ( station # 1 ) , had been pushed up .

This normally means , if you cut to the chase , the primer in the offending case was not removed ( and all those following after it ) .

It means , next , that that case gets advanced to station # 2 . In that station , as the brass comes up , it is re-sized , This is good . But it also means the LM is trying to push a new primer up into a primer pocket , where an old / spent primer still resides .

It is pretty tough for two objects ( essentially the same dimensions - a primer ) to occupy the same space at the same time .

The primer rocker arm has force ( a lot ) applied at one end . The opposite end is not moving much . The rocker pivots on a screw . A large amount of force is exerted on the screw .

The screw seems to be made of pretty good steel . They do not seem to bend to relieve the stress .

The screw is supported at 2 ends . By the carrier , which is not made of steel . It is made of aluminum or zinc ? Which normally is not as strong as steel .

The " inside " end of the screw is threaded into the body of the carrier . The " outside " end passes through the hole in the projection / rib . This projection / rib on the outside of the carrier appears to be the weakest link in the whole system . It can and some time cracks .

If the operator does not make this or similar mistakes , he may never crack a carrier .

God bless
Wyr

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 pm

And, if the operator recognizes that there is too much pressure and doesn't horse the handle he probably won't crack anything.
Admit it people, most things get broken because of too much pressure being applied to something; otherwise know as too much "horse" LOL

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm

I agree with myload. Unfortunately when we start using the loadmaster most of us have never operated one that is properly set up and really have no idea of how much force is necessary. We learn from our mistakes and hopefully get to the point where we know immediately if everything is working as it should. With proper set up of all moving parts and dies, lubrication and brass prep the loadmaster should be a very smooth, low effort machine. When we get to that point it seems that any perceived issues disappear.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:46 am

myloadm61 wrote:And, if the operator recognizes that there is too much pressure and doesn't horse the handle he probably won't crack anything.
Admit it people, most things get broken because of too much pressure being applied to something; otherwise know as too much "horse" LOL

Yep .

God bless
Wyr

Golfguy7

Postby Golfguy7 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 am

I agree with Smitty,You must learn to listen to your machine,become ONE with it and it will tell you everything that is going on with it. There is still much to learn as we are all still "Grasshoppers" on our Zen like quest to setting up and running the perfect Loadmaster.

Blake

Progress report

Postby Blake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:11 am

Well here's what's been happening. I took each tip from each post and carefully applied it to my press. Most of my issues have been straightened out so huge thanks for every reply. Eventually I'll be able to contribute to those in my position in the future

Out of 4 full tubes (88 cases) now only a few tip overs. Primer working pretty well, broke a decapping pin and waiting on a new primer spring and primer just to see if it fixes my much smaller primer problem. I have a total of 1450 rds completed, 1000 to go. Thanks again, going to go look around at other posts!

dcorrick

Postby dcorrick » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 am

The penny on the Collator fix for 9mm will fix the upside down cases. It works well for the .40's. Also, if you ever load .380's which I just started last evening, a nickle does the trick in place of the penny for the upside down cases. I used the small case slider with my 40's, because that is what they sent, but I ordered a large slider, and I am sure it will work better than the small as it is just about the exact same height as the .40 case. I haven't loaded any more .40's since it came in.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:21 am

Mr. Blake, sounds like you are just a couple of baby steps away from achieving a state of LMN.

Load Master Nirvana! :D

mike

Blake

I am one with my press

Postby Blake » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Rec'd my parts, new primer trough, primer ram springs. decapper. Put in what I needed to return the press to factory, and amazingly it started to work the best yet. I cranked out rds. with zero problems. I'm going to run a few hundred more tonight and see if I was just lucky, or figured out what I'm doing.

If there were a way to say more than thanks I'd use it here. Like it or not guys and gals, I'm here for the long term.

Return to “Load Master forum”