A couple issues with my new LM

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Blake

A couple issues with my new LM

Postby Blake » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm

I've been working on this press for a couple weeks now, loaded about 1K while trying to iron out several issues. Here's what ( I think) I have left.

I'm loading 40S&W, tumbled brass, no bullet feeder yet.

1.When the case feed tubes are full (22 cases) the slider kicks the case out from the bottom 3-4 times if I don't lower the ram deliberately slowly. This stops once the feed tube is about half empty.

2. I just noticed last night while working on this just before the ram hits bottom, the shell plate takes a small "hop" backwards. Most of the time it's not enough to stop the next case from loading. This started after replacing the flipper and trying to reset the carrier alignment as far as I can remember. There's a swipe of gun lube on the sides of the index rod, no where else.

And finally, this is my first progressive. But it's my impression that too much effort is needed to cycle the ram once the shell plate is full. I'm loading to kill paper only, very standard specs. I've watched most of the very helpful vids, and I'm lucky I found this resource. Thanks in advance for any help!

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello Mr. Blake. There are some pretty sharp folks on this forum with more experience than me on the LM but as long as I am here I throw my two cents worth in. I have found that in order to get my case feeder to work without any issues I did have to make a couple of minor alterations to the case slider. The tipping issue was resolved by running the drop tube as close to the case mouth as possible and also by adding a band of 1/4" tape to the top of the slider. I think I put about three pieces on on top of the other to get the slider to contact the case at its top point first. I also increased the ramp angle on the top of the slider so that I can switch between 40S&W and 45acp without having to make any adjustments. At this point in time the case feeder is the most reliable thing on my LM. I just don't have any trouble with it.

Sounds like you may be tightening the shellplate nut too much. Just lightly snug is fine. I drilled and tapped mine and put an 8-32 set screw with a nylon tip in it so I can lock it from loosening up. Just another thing to not have to continually check on.

I will defer to the others with more experience in regard to the index rod.

Hope I was of some help to you.

mike

prs

Re: A couple issues with my new LM

Postby prs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Blake wrote:I've been working on this press for a couple weeks now, loaded about 1K while trying to iron out several issues. Here's what ( I think) I have left.

I'm loading 40S&W, tumbled brass, no bullet feeder yet.

Forget the bullet feeder. Save the asprin.

1.When the case feed tubes are full (22 cases) the slider kicks the case out from the bottom 3-4 times if I don't lower the ram deliberately slowly. This stops once the feed tube is about half empty.

Get a large case feeder. It is just a tiny bit too tall for 40SW or 45ACP, but if you mill the top surface down a silly little millimeter or two by swirling it in a non directional pattern on medium sand paper on a hard flat surface, and then polish it on very fine paper the same way; it will work GREAT when you get it just a tiny bit shorter than the case height.2.

I just noticed last night while working on this just before the ram hits bottom, the shell plate takes a small "hop" backwards. Most of the time it's not enough to stop the next case from loading. This started after replacing the flipper and trying to reset the carrier alignment as far as I can remember. There's a swipe of gun lube on the sides of the index rod, no where else.

That is common and Darwin's mod where he hammers to ejector "finger" to be long enough to bind against the carrier's case slide stage is a good fix. What you changed to casue the problem is that the sqaure boss on the center axis of the carrier, the one wherre the square opening of the case ejector fits over, is now rounded off a tiny bit. A consequence of the press getting into a bind, such as when you lost index. Sometimes the square opening of the case ejector can be peened a bit to fit tighter onto the square boss. A new carrier and new ejector will make it like new. Unless it causes malfunctions, I would not worry much. You may be able to bend the ejector tail a tiny bit to engage the shell plate hole sooner.

And finally, this is my first progressive. But it's my impression that too much effort is needed to cycle the ram once the shell plate is full. I'm loading to kill paper only, very standard specs. I've watched most of the very helpful vids, and I'm lucky I found this resource. Thanks in advance for any help!

Eventhough carbide dies do not require case lube, case lube sure makes it run with much less effort. Put your clean cases in a plastic zip lock bag, spritz in a tiny amount of water diluted Lee case lube, do the shake 'n bake routine. Let dry and load away. Makes a big difference.

prs

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am

I agree with Mike on the shellplate nut.
Instead of having it snug, put it on loose,just barely holding everything at the correct torque. You may have to check every few cycles just to keep it optimized. You may notice when it starts to loosen you will get a jam from the flipper bar. All I do if this happens is to pull the flipper out slightly and you will notice the shell plate do that hop you talked about, then just finish cycling the press.

One thing you need to learn is the peculiarities of the press and that has taken me about 3 weeks. Mostly because of wanting it to work the way it should without all the BS that goes with it.
If Lee HD sent good quality instructions with the press it would have helped.
They should have put in big red letters at the top saying" The Lee Loadmaster is Finicky "
Mine is starting to work half way decent but I am sure when I get to the pistol calibers I will be opening another can of Lee Red Worms!
It's almost as finicky as the spell checker on my phone.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Just think, in another 40-50 years??? or maybe less for some of you "young" guys, someone will design a press that you can take out of the box and it will make ammunition to your liking while you drink your favorite beverage. You won't have to exert any effort with your eyes reading instructions or exert any effort using your brain. It will solve all the perceived problems of the LM. Won't it be great? :!: :!: :!: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Yes, it would be nice to have a device that works as described without having to find ways to make it work correctly.
I am glad vehicles come with an engine that runs when the key is turned to start. Of course this would save gas and in Alabama and Florida save many lives.
I went to the hardware store and got my Teflon washers and few others odds and ends.
I also bought a couple of nylon insert lock nuts. They are
5/16X24 to take the place of the shell plate knurled. nut. It also eliminated the need to drill and tap for a set screw wwhich got me started down this path.
I also got the Teflon washers for the primer feeder. I need to cut them down a little so they fit in the recess Whee the o-ring fits.
The lock nut I put on the shell plate is working very well. It also cut down on the jams by a small percentage.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:04 pm

I have decided that one of the greataest things with the LM is that the people with "tinkeritis" have something to do. It's like re-inventing the wheel. :!: :)
I guess I'm blessed that the four LM's that I use don't have problems. They are set up as the instructions say and work fine, unless I screw up. Well except for the new priming system. My mods are very minimal and only on the dedicated 223 press.
PLEASE, LEE, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL PRIMING SYSTEM!!!

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I guess I should try the original primer feeder I replaced with the so called new feeder they sent me which so far neither were the new Gen feeders, they are sending a third now that is supposed to be the latest and greatest.

motopic

Postby motopic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I have decided that one of the greataest things with the LM is that the people with "tinkeritis" have something to do. It's like re-inventing the wheel. :!: :)
I guess I'm blessed that the four LM's that I use don't have problems. They are set up as the instructions say and work fine, unless I screw up. Well except for the new priming system. My mods are very minimal and only on the dedicated 223 press.
PLEASE, LEE, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL PRIMING SYSTEM!!!

[ignore him Mr. Lee]

I'm gonna make copies of the old sliders and sell em for $10 each.!

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Motopic, make it about 4.00 each and you'll probably do alright. LOL
Just mostly looking for a response, don't want anyone to fall asleep. Actually loaded 400 rds of handgun with large pistol primers with the newer(I thought the newest pa, red trough with white top?) but apparently not, with zero mishap on primers. woohoo 8)

Blake

Postby Blake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:07 pm

OK, BTW thanks for the replies. I'm going to lower the feed tube, and add a little tape so that the slider is equal height to the case. I'm going to get some lube to add to the process. And on the shell plate "hop", I noticed after posting it happens just when the index rod starts it's slide down the ramp. Once the rod advances the plate the cases are lined up so maybe it's not as big an issue but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

As for instructions? Oh yeah they could use some improvement. I've spoken with Lee many times, they're just as brief on the phone. Oh well. You guys are here so I'm sure I can get it going OK. Thanks again for all the help.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:40 pm

I almost hate to post on this thread but I have one of the first 3b primer assemblys that has worked for several thousand rounds with NO problems at all. I have made no mods to the press just very careful on the setup and brass preparation. I had no problems with the generation 1 assembly but the gen 2 & 3 did not work for me at all. I am very happy that I don't have those kinds of issues with priming as I really don't want to spend my reloading time tinkering with a tool that should work. Good luck to those having the problems.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Smiity62, we must have got the good ones on the day they did them right.

Wildrat

Postby Wildrat » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 pm

You two may be correct since ordering from Lee and being told by lee I am getting the newest ones and I am yet to receive a new Gen feeder although I have been assured I am getting the newest one with the third.
I think it's a load of crap really. 3 weeks this has been going on, maybe 4. Why do they have all these different feeders going out when people are ordering what they think are new Gen feeders.

Blake

Postby Blake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 pm

I forgot to mention primer issues as well. No prime, sideways, upside down. I think I'm going to shave a little off the pin and see what happens. After my last post I loaded the press for 52 rds. 13 bad primes, a couple cases kicked out at the beginning of the tube. I had lowered the case tube to just allow the case to exit without catching, no change. I did re index the rod, that was better. I'm going to keep going. Tonight I add case lube to the formula. I'll be back!

Return to “Load Master forum”