Stiff leg

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

WyrTwister

Stiff leg

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 am

My loading table is a little flimsy . So , I mount my presses on a board and bolt the press & board on to the table .

The LM was still moving around , so we put a board , vertically , under the table from the floor to the under side of the table . And shimmed it up .

This helped , think I need one more 1/4" shim .

This took a lot of the flexing out of the table / press .

God bless
Wyr

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 am

Hey WyrTwister. If there is any way you can make this mod to your press you will be amazed at how solid it becomes. My bench is actually a table 4' x 8' that I built several years ago. It is framed around the perimeter with 2x4's and covered with 1/2" plywood coated with polyester resin. No mater what I did to stiffen up the table top, including installing a 4x4 under the press it just would not keep the press from flexing the top of the table. Making the pictured mod put the support where it needs to be and transfers the downward force applied to the handle directly to the floor and reverses the force on the bench top to an upward force instead of a downward twisting force. It works really well and a great benefit is that you get a much better feel for what the press is doing. Trust me on this one.

PS. The aluminum plate is 1/4" x 4 "x 4". The spreader bar came from Harbor Freight.

mike

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Looks like a great mod , but more than I would do . Especially , would not drill the holes through the press frame before the 2 year warranty wore expired .

Thanks , :-)

God bless
Wyr

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:28 pm

That's clever, that's for sure.

I doubt if Lee would say the warranty was void if one drilled holes in the frame. And I don't see any scenario where one would need to replace a frame.

I tell you, a really clever design for a bench is here. It would be especially sturdy if it was in a basement and you could tie the top to the floor rafters above it. And run the bottom of the vertical boards to the floor.

http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/bench/

Blake

Postby Blake » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Here's another thought, but only if you can bolt to the floor. I used a free-standing tool stand like the type used for a bench grinder. My operation is in my converted garage (cave) and I used "redhead" threaded inserts. When reloading season is over, I pack it up and have a flat floor again. No tripping! When you tighten the legs and upper base to the vertical tube nothing moves. Nothing. Stand price is $79. Again this only works well with a concrete floor such as a garage or basement pad. I don't recommend counting on or damaging a subfloor in a home.

Taking it a step further, I also have an older B&D workmate foldup clamping table. I built a table top out of birch plywood, made a cut out to fit around the upper stand plate, and clamped it to the workmate.

The whole set up can get folded up and put away for when one of the other cave activities is happening yet is as solid as any permanent installation. I'll post pics tonight.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Blake wrote:Here's another thought, but only if you can bolt to the floor. I used a free-standing tool stand like the type used for a bench grinder. My operation is in my converted garage (cave) and I used "redhead" threaded inserts. When reloading season is over, I pack it up and have a flat floor again. No tripping! When you tighten the legs and upper base to the vertical tube nothing moves. Nothing. Stand price is $79. Again this only works well with a concrete floor such as a garage or basement pad. I don't recommend counting on or damaging a subfloor in a home.

Taking it a step further, I also have an older B&D workmate foldup clamping table. I built a table top out of birch plywood, made a cut out to fit around the upper stand plate, and clamped it to the workmate.

The whole set up can get folded up and put away for when one of the other cave activities is happening yet is as solid as any permanent installation. I'll post pics tonight.

When reloading season is over????????????? :shock: you guys have a reloading season?? Whats the bag limit....?

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:17 am

Reloading season is "NEVER" over. How could that ever be. Surely must be a mistake. :shock: :!:

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:46 am

myloadm61 wrote:Reloading season is "NEVER" over. How could that ever be. Surely must be a mistake. :shock: :!:

It comes to a pause when you run out of consumables .

God bless
Wyr

jekemi

Not flimsy reloading table

Postby jekemi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Here's the mounting system I used on my turret press. I have a 1" thick finished plywood table. I used hot-rolled steel plates top and bottom. I also used an additional 1" piece of plywood between the bench and the two steel plates. It's pretty substantial. I'm going to use the same mount for my Loadmaster but I need to move the Turret press down the table a foot or so. I will use 1/4" thick hot rolled steel for the LM. If you would like a picture email me at jekemi2005@gmail.com. I don't have a public site to view pictures yet.

WyrTwister

Re: Not flimsy reloading table

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:31 am

jekemi wrote:Here's the mounting system I used on my turret press. I have a 1" thick finished plywood table. I used hot-rolled steel plates top and bottom. I also used an additional 1" piece of plywood between the bench and the two steel plates. It's pretty substantial. I'm going to use the same mount for my Loadmaster but I need to move the Turret press down the table a foot or so. I will use 1/4" thick hot rolled steel for the LM. If you would like a picture email me at jekemi2005@gmail.com. I don't have a public site to view pictures yet.

I use photobucket.com to store photos , in an album .

http://s719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/WyrTwister/

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Load Master forum”