Auto Disk pull back chain keeps slipping out ?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

SteveW

Auto Disk pull back chain keeps slipping out ?

Postby SteveW » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 pm

..of the holes in the pull back lever ?

A solution. Click on the pic for full size..

You will want to buy a spare chain anyway. Use the extra retaining clip on the chain that is on the press, so the pull back chain is positively held at the pull back lever and with the spring/retaining clip on the carrier. Have all the slack chain down at the carrier end, so if it snaps, you keep the longest length you can and may still be able to use it after the break..

S.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Did you pull it through the second hole and pull it tight? I don't see how it would slip out unless the holes were badly worn, and I can't imagine how many rounds one must run through to wear it that badly.

nice fix though.

wcbuyer

Postby wcbuyer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 am

Good fix and easier than what I posted under a different topic. I used the spring and post because the chain really has a lot of tension when the ram is in the fully down position. I will try your fix, it looks like you are just placing the chain in the first hole only of the arm, is that correct?

The loadmaster I have is just a couple of weeks old and less than 400 rounds put through it but I had a lot of chain slippage and I didn't want to have undercharged cases or squibs as it's not my favorite pastime pulling bullets to check powder. I realize most users have not had a problem with chain slippage but I did.

It seems that the fix I did has cured my chain slippage problem if not I will try yours and as a last resort I will just change the arm and place the heavy spring back on and do away with the chain.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:46 am

That sound you hear is me beating my head against my reloading bench. :shock:

This shouldn't be hard, guys, and there shouldn't be any problem with the chain.

Make sure you have the spring on the bottom of the spring under the tab on the carrier.

With the carrier down, feed chain through hole nearest the end of the arm and pull tight. Raise carrier slightly and slowly while pulling the chain. It will "click" and a bead goes through the hole. Lower carrier to pull chain tight. Put chain through the other hole and pull until it "clicks".

You're done.

you can see me do it here:

http://manual.loadmastervideos.com/powder_disk.htm

and in the video

http://manual.loadmastervideos.com/PM.WMV

SteveW

Postby SteveW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:41 am

> I will try your fix, it looks like you are just placing the chain in the first hole only of the arm, is that correct?

Correct.

wcbuyer

Postby wcbuyer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Darwin

That sound you hear is me beating my head against my reloading bench. Shocked

This shouldn't be hard, guys, and there shouldn't be any problem with the chain.

Make sure you have the spring on the bottom of the spring under the tab on the carrier.

With the carrier down, feed chain through hole nearest the end of the arm and pull tight. Raise carrier slightly and slowly while pulling the chain. It will "click" and a bead goes through the hole. Lower carrier to pull chain tight. Put chain through the other hole and pull until it "clicks".

You're done.

The standard chain instruction are simple and I understand them. Again, the chain will slip a ball or two during reloading and that causes the disk not to return to the full back position. The chain has been installed numerous times as it should be, it just does not work with the arm on my measure.

I realize that if you have never has a chain problem which I had you probably think I am just wanting air time, Not So.

I don't didn't know if the arm holes were just a little oversize or the chain was undersized so I purchased a 5 ft. bubble pack of chain with connectors at WallyMart, GE brand in the household electrical section for $1.50, The chain is the standard #6 ball chain. Had the same problem as the chain which came from Lee with the press. Light charges and squibs are a danger and I will do whatever I must to prevent this, including buying all those bandages which are on my head from the frustration of banging into the press.javascript:emoticon(':P')
Razz

Anyway my fix has worked for me at this point in time, if I should have future problems I will as stated before try SteveW's solution or change arms and place the large spring which comes with the Pro Auto-Disk Measure when purchased separately and do away with the chain.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu May 01, 2008 6:50 am

DON'T USE THE SPRING RETURN ON THE LOAD MASTER. That is just asking for trouble.

If you keep having trouble with the chain, look at Shadowdog's rod conversion.

http://loadmastervideos.com/33CHAIN2ROD.WMV

wcbuyer

Postby wcbuyer » Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 am

Darwin

DON'T USE THE SPRING RETURN ON THE LOAD MASTER. That is just asking for trouble.

If you keep having trouble with the chain, look at Shadowdog's rod conversion.

It seems my chain problem has been resolved with my fix, I will heed your advise on not using the spring return on the loadmaster. It may be obvious but why not use the spring return?

I have used it on various turret presses and a Dillon RL450 for years and I don't remember having any problems.

JohnMcD348

Maybe your chain is too small

Postby JohnMcD348 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:54 am

I posted a similar fix where I bought and used a #36 pull chain I purchased from Lowe's. You said you used a #6. I only had to very slightly open the holes in the arm to allow it to fit. I'm talking 1000/th's of an inch to let the #36 chain pass through.

I don't really know what the difference is between the two sizes but when you eyeball it, there's no discernible difference in size until you try to feed it through the arms.

Perhaps, if you continue to have any issues, try that size chain and see if it clears up. I posted pics in a previous post on my fix.

Just another idea to add to the fold.

Return to “Load Master forum”