major 556 issue please help!

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

TankerMatt

major 556 issue please help!

Postby TankerMatt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Im trying to load some 556 on my llm. I have a turret stabilizer and the 5 bolt turret mod on the bottom. Carrier ribs milled flat and 4-40 set installed.

Every round i spit out of the press the bullet is in crooked. Ive cleaned the dies and the press, took it all apart and cleaned atleast 3 times. Reset everything, i used a lee set die and a rbcs die with the same issue. Took the bolts out and the ring off same issue. Nothing I have done so far corrects the problem. Both dies work and set the bullet fine in a single stage press. I even took all the dies out and only had the set die in and same problem.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

If the dies both work well in another press I would be suspect of the turret on your LM. I believe I would remove the turret and look at the 3/16" deep counterbores on the bottom of the turret and see if any marks are visible from the tap used to thread the turret. If there is then it is almost certain that the C/L of the die is not being held at 90 degrees to the top surface of the turret.

[img][img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/9mm_mike/003_zpsca813504.jpg[/img][/img]

mike

TankerMatt

Postby TankerMatt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 pm

I haven't had any problems with this turret until now so I found a spot in the threads that wernt straight the die didn't thread in smooth, so I put a angle iron on it and sure enough it wasn't straight. Thanks mike!

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Magic Mike strikes again, way to go Bro.

I tell ya this guy can exercise and demons that your press can have.

I think he should his name to the
"Exorcist".

Return to “Load Master forum”