Better priming system?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

smurfslayer

Better priming system?

Postby smurfslayer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:53 pm

I have found quite a bit of useful information here, but nothing I have tried has remedied the poor performance on small pistol or rifle primers. I can?t count how many ?generations? of primer parts I?ve been through. I have had great success with large primers - pistol and rifle, but I think I?ve had enough missed, flipped and mangled primers, damaged primer assemblies and the associated frustration.

For those of you who have moved on to another press, what did you go with and how did it work out? I plan to keep the LM for .45 & 308. But .223 is faster on a single stage than on my LM. UNLESS I pre-prime the brass on one of my single stage or turret presses. That is adding a whole lot of time.

Thanks !

Dave

DOC H

SMALL PRIMER ON LLM

Postby DOC H » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:48 pm

For priming 223 cases I like using the resizing die in station no. 2 not screwed all the way down to stabilize the cases in a separate LLM turret and prime separately. it seems to work consistently .

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Hard to beat the Dillon 550 for rifle. That said, I, just this weekend bought a couple of LLM's .

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:26 pm

At the risk of being chastised, I will submit the following: I had very little problem with primers of any type, rifle, pistol, large or small, but on occasion I would have a flipped, crushed or missed primer. I went with MM's mods. That reduced my primer issues to those of my own making. Visit Magic Mikes Reloading Bench.com for more info. It worked for me.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:49 pm

I gave up priming completely on the press, any press. Got a machine designed to only prime (RCBS bench priming tool). Now life is good. I have 2 nearly stock loadmasters that work perfectly. Love operating them. I load 223, 380 Auto, 40 S&W, 30-06, 243, and a few 204.

The only part not done on the loadmasters is: Priming and FL sizing of rifle cases.

rrgramps

Postby rrgramps » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Dillon 550. I just swapped out my expensive Redding dies from my troublesome LM today, installed them on my 550, and started cranking out .380 ammo like I'd never dreamed of last week.

That means de-capping, priming, and all operations for a finished bullet. Time, after time again with so much less hassle than my LM. EVERYTHING JUST WORKS! No mods, no tinkering, no flipped primers, no crushed shells, no cutting parts, no Shake Brake. The SB is a good add-on though, and can only help.

I'm not sure about using my LM for .45 ACP anymore. It works fairly well, but the 550 just takes off and leaves all those old troubles behind. Steady, maybe slower, but gradually passing by due to less jams, tinkering, and down time.

rrgramps

Postby rrgramps » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:59 pm

GhostlyOne wrote:I went with MM's mods. That reduced my primer issues to those of my own making. Visit Magic Mikes Reloading Bench.com for more info. It worked for me.

I have yet to test MM's primer mods, but am planning on it and have the parts rounded up. We shouldn't have to give up, de-cap, and prime off the press. I don't, even without mods. I've learned from my Dillon's and applied the findings to my LM.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 pm

rrgramps wrote:
GhostlyOne wrote:I went with MM's mods. That reduced my primer issues to those of my own making. Visit Magic Mikes Reloading Bench.com for more info. It worked for me.

I have yet to test MM's primer mods, but am planning on it and have the parts rounded up. We shouldn't have to give up, de-cap, and prime off the press. I don't, even without mods. I've learned from my Dillon's and applied the findings to my LM.

I do everything except deprime on the press. I just don't like subjecting my nice shiny red press to the filth of used primers. I deprime on a Breechlock Challenger, clean the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner, then 3 hours in a vibratory tumbler. Nice clean shiny brass! Then store them till I have a few hundred saved up.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

I am sorta like G1 in brass prep. However, I am setting up a LLM as a dedicated decapper. Then into a slurry of SS Media for a couple of hours and dry them in my toaster oven and they're ready to go. If I want them slick, in fact so slick they don't have to be lubed to size them, it's a 15 minute whirl in the Lyman turbo vib. tumbler with some NuFinish wax.

smurfslayer

update

Postby smurfslayer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:46 am

I?ve found a few improvements along the way and now I?m not sure there?s greener grass, so to speak.

First, adding a Dillon swager to the process has significantly reduced the primers deformed while being inserted. It doesn?t eliminate the issue altogether, but has severely limited the number of off center primes, crooked insertions, lack of full primer seat, etc.

here is what is still plaguing the priming process.

1) powder debris & brass debris from bullet insertion sticking in the rim cut outs of the shell plate holder. This debris seems to find its way into everywhere. However, when a case stuffs into the slot and cannot fully insert, it pushes out the case holders, no matter how much torque you put on the screws. 2 or 3 of these and station 2 allows the case to drift out further, and if you don?t notice it the primer gets mangled. I can usually spot this as it affects the priming assembly angle at the top of the stroke.

2) powder and other gritty substances finds it?s way into the primer slide assembly. This is less predictable and harder to observe until the primer slide sticks, doesn?t fully advance the primer and the top stroke of the press forces the primer up and hangs. The good news is the case isn?t usually affected by this as the primer never makes it that far, but the primer is toast, and I have to at least loosen the shell plate to unstick the assembly.

3) 9mm? I haven?t gotten around to swaging those or attempting to process them.

I don?t get the first 2 hang ups as much with 308 or ?06 as with .223.

Thanks for the feedback !

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm

You are welcome. Don't give up. The red devil WILL submit.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:42 am

I don't think one can go wrong with Magic Mike's mods. I believe that he has finally found the magic bullet, metaphorically speaking, to priming issues on the LM.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:14 pm

From what CL9 and others have said, MM's mods are MANDATORY if you want the LLM to function as a quality piece of machinery, which I feel is exactly what I will have when I finalize "renovations" to my two newly acquired LLM's.

curlysir

Postby curlysir » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:01 pm

I have MM's mods on my primer system. I had problems when I first installed it with flipped primers and crushed primers. I had to remove the Auto-retracted slider system (rubber bands) that MM puts on the primer arm when he sends it back and reverted back to the case activated system. I have not replaced the primer trough just removed the rubber band and reinstalled the o-ring. Since I have done that I have had no problems. My mounting is not as solid as I would like but at the moment I don't have an alternate to my mounting. I have ALL of Mikes mods and by LM is more consistent then it has ever been.

If you are having problems with primers even with MM's mods you might want to try what I did. If my table were rock solid I don't think I would have had the problems with the Auto-retracted system.

dglock

Postby dglock » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Sparky45 wrote:From what CL9 and others have said, MM's mods are MANDATORY if you want the LLM to function as a quality piece of machinery, which I feel is exactly what I will have when I finalize "renovations" to my two newly acquired LLM's.

Not really.

MM states on his web site that if your press is working fine then his mods will not have any effect on your press.

don

Return to “Load Master forum”