loadmaster powder measure

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I have a question on powder density. does anyone have problems with powder densities because of HUMIDITY LEVELS this time of year? where as you would have to change the disks to achieve the correct amount of cubic centimeters. for example, I'm using VARGET POWDER FOR 223 AT 25.5 GRAINS the two double disks are .146 & .40 = .186 cc but it's only dropping 25.2 grains. I changed 1 disks to a .43 which is now .189 cc to get my 25.5 grains. earlier in the year when it was warmer I used the .146 &.40 disks and my powder dropped correctly. it must be the HUMIDITY levels to change density. am I correct ?

sddtx

Postby sddtx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm

It could possibly be "static cling" related. If it is dry and cold that could be the issue. Some say that wiping the measure down with a dryer sheet can alleviate it but I haven't had to do that so far.

Hope this helps.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:51 pm

You should try and use two disks the closest to the same size, the larger on the bottom. Too much difference in the top and bottom disk cause a "cavity" between the disks and won't always fill that void.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 pm

The difference in weight can be caused by using a different batch of powder. I haven't looked it up for a long time, but I believe industry standard on powder density allows 15%. I always check the density when I open a new container. I believe it was Rex #2 that gave me near that variance.

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:31 am

Thank you guys for the replies, as far as the disk size difference to achieve .186 you only have the one option of .146 &.40 are the only ones with the double disk kit that I can see. As far as the powder it had been previously opened from another 223 run on my LM but resealed and stored in my dry dark locked bench cabinet. am I breaking any cardinal rule as to using a different disk size to achieve my proper grain weight?

carload9

dh

Postby carload9 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 am

you can fill hole or holes up and drill out with #'ed drill bits till you get the weight you want. Cant help mother nature stuff. l like myloads idea but l just load s. pistol.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm

I can't find it right now, but there was a post on another reloading site that dealt with the whole density/humidity/weight thingy. The upshot of the whole thing was that YES humidity DOES affect weight. I don't think it was a real big amount, but the culmination of humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, etc. can cause a powder weight variation.

That said, the weight variance you gave, (25.5 vs. 25.2) is only a bit over 1%. I have used a number of different powders for .223, both extruded and others, and found that with either my Lee Perfect Powder measure, or my Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder measure I found it difficult to keep the error under 2%. For that reason I went back to H322 in my Perfect Powder Measure dropping slightly less than the target weight and trickling up to the desired weight. Works for me. JMHO

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Well guys I just finished a run of 175 rounds of 223 with my open bottle of VARGET powder with my double disks set at .189 with many weight checks and they all came out at 25.5 grains. when I ran out of that powder I opened a new bottle of VARGET powder and checked my weights again several times and the weights immediately increased . so I changed my disks back to .186 a .146 & a.40 and my weights came back to 25.5 grains again SO I have to believe humidity is playing a major factor in grain weight. I am still fairly new still to reloading but learning some very important lessons. I know it's very important to check and double check your work. I THANK this forum for all the feedback and help I receive. now if I can get all my rifle cases the exact same lengths I will have it DOWN. the last 25 rounds of a total 200 was a good learning experience . Has anyone heard of or used the WGT worlds greatest trimmer? a case trimmer that is used in a cordless drill. I'm thinking about purchasing one, about 70 bucks.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:00 pm

The WFT trimmer from Little Crow Gun Works is hands down the best trimmer I have used. My old Lyman still works just fine but it can't hold a candle to how quickly and accurately you can trim cases with the WTF.

I chuck mine up in my drill press, put a plastic tub on the table and have at it. Very fast and very clean. BTW, anything you read about it being a little bit of a pain to set up is pure BS. It couldn't be easier.

mike

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:31 am

The proper way to set the disks, according to instructions, is to use two disks with the holes as close to the same size as possible, in the case of .186 you would use .95 and .95 to start or .102 and .88 and then adjust from there to get the weight that you want. Each hole difference will make maybe a tenth of a grain difference. That way the holes will be close to the same. Using two disks of such greater diameter won't work properly with a lot of powders. I don't use Varget but am assuming it must be a fine ball type powder. When I tried your .146 and .40 on my measure with ball powder it was close, when using a powder such as 4064 it was not possible to get it to meter correctly unless you tapped the measure to get it to flow under the shelf.
Think about it and look at the disks. An interrupted "cone" will not fill as even as a "column". But each to his own.

carload9

ml

Postby carload9 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am

I know nothing of this thread but how bout glue two disks together fill a hole ( l use alumilite from hobby lobby) and drill to your size. I DO THIS FOR PISTOL, measure then take next largest drill bit til i get it. You guys use alot if powder.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 am

You can do it any way you want to, but it's a simple to just use the disks as designed and the load can be set to the knats ass if you just use then like the directions state. I've got some drilled out, but only due to the fact that I needed a greater capacity than what is possible with the double disk setup.

It doesn't matter how you do it to me, hell just take a block of wood and drill a hoile in it and a couple of slots. Why reinvent the wheel?

Was just trying to help-----------------

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 am

A little testy there ML, or is that your normal demeanor? :wink:

carload9

ml

Postby carload9 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 am

Well yea ml, l liked your first post too.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 am

Nope not testy at all.

When you're not with the in crowd it might seem so.

Nope, I'm having a great day and coming here makes the laughter come out.

Return to “Load Master forum”