Cracked carrier = primer goofs

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

prs

Cracked carrier = primer goofs

Postby prs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:46 am

I have been trying a new boolit mold and fiddling a bit with powder coating the boolits in 45ACP. I loaded several small batches, during which process I heard an unusual "POP" noise and there after heard sort of small pop now and then at top of stroke. My attention on the new project, I dismissed the noise. Son and I went to the range to "dispose" of the new ammo properly. He found an upside-down primer! Later, he found yet another and I found one crushed sideways. This has not happened to me for a LOOOOOONG time! I figured I must have neglected to shake the primer tray enough last time I filled it, not typical for me, but what else.

Last night I cleaned and checked the press and primer tray and all of that, then loaded more blue and black and gold powder coated hollow pointed SWC bullets. There is that strange little noise again. Got my pen light and looked at the back of the carrier where the primer arm pivots -- CRACKED!

Why did it crack? No jambs I could recall; ahhhhhhh, I recalled a post by WireTwister last year, small primer brass and large primers! That did not apply to me, but what does and is similar is when the deprime pin pushes out all of the primer except the outer walls. That did happen and I bet that started the crack and metal fatigue finished the job over time.

I keep a spare and installed it, press runs "ticky-boo" again. When the press tells you something is wrong, listen to it.

Now, I wonder if Lee still replaces broken parts pro-bono?

prs

prs

Postby prs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:49 am

I forgot, WireTwister showed a repair method for the same carrier crack, I may try that just to see.

prs

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 pm

I think Wrytwister used JB Weld to fix the carrier.

carload9

prs

Postby carload9 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 pm

toss it, their cheap and i think Lee made improvments. I dropship mine to mike.[/i]

erle

Postby erle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:13 am

Good advice from Carload. New Carrier is only $19.75 from Titan. I also had one shipped to MM for his mod's.

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Talk to John at Lee. I had a cracked carrier in the same place. MM found it along with several suspicious areas in the carrier. I dipped mine in a "Dye Penetrant Fluid", indigo blue color. It showed up five or six more cracks. I sent it back to Lee, they replaced it free. Also, be sure that your primer punch is centered in the case primer cavity. I found that my .45 shell plate was not centering well and causing that mysterious "pop" you described. It was causing some deformation of some primers, not severely, just enough to bend over the edge of the primer. Most of them fired alright, but a few disturbed the anvil enough that the firing pin would not strike far enough into the primer to ignite it.

carload9

g1

Postby carload9 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Ditto that g1. Perfect!

prs

Postby prs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks guys. The pop went away with new carrier and I did order and receive a new on from Titan already.

prs

prs

Re: prs

Postby prs » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 am

carload9 wrote:toss it, their cheap and i think Lee made improvments. I dropship mine to mike.[/i]

Carload, I took a pretty close look at the new one and see no changes as compared to the one that cracked. The weak spot is at that primer rocker arm pivot. I think my press is "wearing" its 3rd carrier right now. OE was broken when I bought it new, I broke one learning the ropes before site like this existed, and this recent failure priming a flash hole partly blocked. But, given the age of this machine and the quantity of production it has seen; I can not gripe a bit. This machine was made right after Lee started serrating the ends of the ram tube, first or second year of production, I think.

prs

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I cracked one, had a video camera running at the time and you can clearly hear it. It took me a while to notice, too.

In my case, I tried to put a primer in a case that still had a spent primer in it.

zomby woof

Postby zomby woof » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:18 pm

After 25 years with a LM, I'm on my third carrier. The latest was an FC 9mm once fired that didn't punch out the primer all the way. I forced the press too much and cracked the carrier at the pivot arm. After ordering a new carrier, I thought about a way to reinforce this week area. I took a SS fender washer and ground it to shape. I bent a a lip on it to catch under the carrier for support. I then epoxied it to the carrier. After it cured, I drilled and installed a dowel pin above the pivot arm screw. Now to find out where the other week point is.

prs

Re: Cracked carrier = primer goofs

Postby prs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Nice work, Zombie.

Let us hope the reinforcement of the 20 dollar part does not cause a 100 dollar part to fail... :mrgreen:

prs

WyrTwister

Re:

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:33 am

zomby woof wrote:After 25 years with a LM, I'm on my third carrier. The latest was an FC 9mm once fired that didn't punch out the primer all the way. I forced the press too much and cracked the carrier at the pivot arm. After ordering a new carrier, I thought about a way to reinforce this week area. I took a SS fender washer and ground it to shape. I bent a a lip on it to catch under the carrier for support. I then epoxied it to the carrier. After it cured, I drilled and installed a dowel pin above the pivot arm screw. Now to find out where the other week point is.

My first attempt to repair a carrier involved a large diameter fender washer . The center hole was just large enough to allow the head of the pivot screw to pass through . This hole reinforces the bead of the pivot screw .

I cut and shaped the washer to fit the side of the carrier . I then used J B Weld to attach the washer to the side of the carrier , with the broken part also glued into position . But the J B Weld was not strong enough to hold the mod .

Next version of this mod included all the above with the addition of a TEK self drilling screw through the upper part of the washer . Through the washer and through the carrier .

This screw reinforces the washer to vertical forces . The washer in turn reinforces the head of the pivot screw , against those vertical forces .

My mod does not have the " bottom " of the reinforcing metal curved under the carrier . And I used a TEK screw instead of a dowel pin . Functionally the mods seem to accomplish the same thing . I have been running this carrier for a few years .

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/WyrTwi ... .html?o=94

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/WyrTwi ... .html?o=94

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/WyrTwi ... .html?o=95

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/WyrTwi ... .html?o=96

I apologize for the poor quality of these camera phone photos . :-(

There are various things that can prevent the de-priming pin from de-priming a case . If un-noticed , this can result in primer failure and broken carrier . Also , as mentioned , .45 ACP cases with small primer pockets while running the large primer assembly .

Always watch the de-priming pin . If it is pushed up , STOP RIGHT THEN and investigate .

Always ream / swag cases with crimped military primer pockets .

God bless
Wyr

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Load Master forum”