Newbee here and don't know what I got myself into.

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

rekarstien

Newbee here and don't know what I got myself into.

Postby rekarstien » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:25 pm

With the price of ammo going sky high it was time to get into reloading so I ordered a Lee Loadmaster which is sitting on my door step as I type this. I mainly chose the Lee Loadmaster because of 2 things sure one was the price but I had watched watched many youtube videos over the past 3 week on the Dillion, hornady and the Lee and when the press was adjusted correctly the lee seemed to be just as smooth as any of them $500 and $600 presses. I'm sure there is a learning curve there but what does not have a learning curve and Im sure over the next couple of weeks and maybe month I may be asking for help on problems and issues so I hope you will all be patent with me as I am to my new Loadmaster.

websterz

Postby websterz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Welcome to our little family. Yes, the LLM can be a little temperamental at times, but once you learn its idiosyncrasies it will run like a scalded dog! I have hit 400 rounds per hour with little trouble. You came to the right forums for learning to run our misunderstood gem. There is a wealth of great info to be found here.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

So you have never reloaded before?

Buy at least one reloading manual. Lee has one of their own and there are others, as well. Your library may have some.

You need to learn the basics first, and build up your knowledge.

What caliber(s) are you planning on reloading? People here can help you pick out a suitable powder, etc.

Here is my advice for newbies.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=526

carload9

hey

Postby carload9 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 pm

check out magic mikes web site.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 pm

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:07 am

Also recommended is the Lyman reloading manual .

And , SORT YOUR BRASS 100% ! Will save you a lot of grief , especially if you load range brass that probably has mixed calibers and brands / types .

God bless
Wyr

rekarstien

Postby rekarstien » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:58 pm

I mostly shoot Bulls eye so 45 cal and 22 I shoot the most for fun I shoot the 9MM and a 380 and looking to pick up a 40 cal next.

I Contacted MIke and parts will be mailed out tomorrow may as well get everything done while I'm setting up my bench.

rekarstien

Postby rekarstien » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm going through the box getting things ready to ship off to Magic Mike and I was looking at the dies and it is a 3 piece die set.

What is the difference between a 3 piece and the 4 piece?

What die set set would you recommend?

carload9

rkst

Postby carload9 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:42 pm

good sense there, its headache enough for any press on the earth, but mm make it easy. And the learn curve is faster and much fun.

carload9

rS

Postby carload9 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm

l like a 4 die set, The Lee FCD's are nice in my opinion.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2 ... j.mp4.html

Iam lil' different, I buy dies individual as u can see. Sometime i won, but sometimes l loose. But l'll not change stat 4 powder drops (ONLY) and fits all my pistol calibers/no expander in there, just a flat face plug. Drops powder only and stat two,, set expansion with my fingers. Never better! I like seat dies that seat only, l machine em out. Crimping expansion is for station 5.

Throw that in garbage, mm will tell ya how to set your new 5 hole die plate correct:

erle

Postby erle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 pm

rekarstien wrote:I Contacted MIke and parts will be mailed out tomorrow may as well get everything done while I'm setting up my bench.

You'll be glad you did! I have his mod's on both of my LLM's & as long as I keep them clean & keep a slow, steady pace on the lever, all works fine.

The 4 die set gives you the Factory Crimp Die which you will want in station 5 to make sure the ammo feeds in various guns of that caliber.

GhostlyOne

Re: Newbee here and don't know what I got myself into.

Postby GhostlyOne » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm

rekarstien wrote:With the price of ammo going sky high it was time to get into reloading so I ordered a Lee Loadmaster which is sitting on my door step as I type this. I mainly chose the Lee Loadmaster because of 2 things sure one was the price but I had watched watched many youtube videos over the past 3 week on the Dillion, hornady and the Lee and when the press was adjusted correctly the lee seemed to be just as smooth as any of them $500 and $600 presses. I'm sure there is a learning curve there but what does not have a learning curve and Im sure over the next couple of weeks and maybe month I may be asking for help on problems and issues so I hope you will all be patent with me as I am to my new Loadmaster.

You have gotten yourself into the spiral of continually increasing proportions. The more you shoot, the more you load, the more you shoot. It never ends!! I had to add another LLM to my bench just to keep up with it.

The MM mods will help you beyond all measure. I do not know if that is good or bad, since they make it so much easier to load and of course you will need to shoot more then!

In any case, welcome to the company of the addicted. Have fun!

carload9

g1

Postby carload9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Yea mostly ghostly, but i've had project for 90 days or more and not much shootin, but l know when l run out or cools off and need more ammo l can load for dirt cheap. All l need is primers and powder. I have enough hi-tec for years. My lead is free. Did steel 2 pigs of tin (50lbs) at estate sale from local newspaper.

rekarstien

Postby rekarstien » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:21 am

I have a stupid question but I am for the most part be reloading 9MM and 45's now over the 100 of hour I have spent on Youtube there were several videos on doing a mod to the shell plate for the 9MM so it sits better in the priming station. My question is why would or could you not use the shell plate for the 380 is there that much difference in the base of the two?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 am

Yes, I think there is a thickness issue.

Return to “Load Master forum”