anyone load 45LC on loadmaster

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

carload9

anyone load 45LC on loadmaster

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:18 am

I have Lee 45 long colt dies, anybody loaded alot of these on loadmaster. Any tips. One guy on CBoolits said: not to use lee FCD. Why not?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:30 am

Supposed to have a roll crimp.

carload9

s32

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Well , why does lee make colt FCD?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:35 pm

You'd have to ask Lee that question.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:11 pm

The only issue I've seen with using the crimp die is if you're using "oversized" cast bullets....(thinking is that the FCD is made for jacketed bullets .451 for example) the consensus is the FCD may/can "swage" the bullet down causing leading/poor accuracy...I've not had any problem with .452 sized bullets.......a .454 sized bullet, which a lot of folks use may be a different animal....Load one of your rounds up and run it into the FCD, if you feel anything as the completed round enters the carbide ring, then you may not want to use it...my feeling is that if you feel the carbide ring "touching" the case it is in fact "squeezing" it down a bit and as the brass will "spring back" more than the lead bullet (you may not be "swaging" the bullet) but may be losing case tension....like I said I never had issues with the 45 colt using .452 sized bullets but I have with my 44 mag with bullets sized to .432 and the 357 mag with .358 sized bullets....it's just that my 45 colt FCD is large enough that it doesn't touch the case as it enters the carbide ring....none of this matters if you're loading jacketed bullets....

carload9

ok

Postby carload9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:41 pm

thanks horseman:
iam loading a lyman 200gr with 3 coats of cooked hitech-supercoat. And sized at .451 with low med to lite loads that l can create. I may be fine for plinkers.

Getting into wax bullets and jm/magrath (quick draw holster maker) is gonna teach me to load blanks. There is western town here where movies are made and soon sas events and quick-draw events too. lam having a two step reamer made, will be running shotgun primers with waxed bullets. The double stepped brass is dollar a piece, (but re-useable) gonna make my own.

Wont be using colt/uberti for anything else.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Very good explanation and I agree with you about the 454 or 452 bullet. There are very few gun makers that produce a 454 bore in 45LC. Most like Ruger are down in the .451" to .452" bore. So using a cast 454 in a modern firearm is going to require swaging the Lead and affecting accuracy and case neck tension.

Hawkmoon

Re: s32

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:01 pm

carload9 wrote:Well , why does lee make colt FCD?

I thought Lee's factory crimp dies were set up to do taper crimps on semi-auto cartridges (like .45 ACP) and roll crimps on "revolver" cartridges (like .45 Colt).

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/ ... -crimp-die

Revolver dies roll crimp with no limit as to the amount. A perfect taper crimp is applied to auto-loader rounds. The crimper cannot be misadjusted to make a case mouth too small to properly head-space. A firm crimp is essential for dependable and accurate ammunition. It eliminates the problems of poor ignition of slow burning magnum powders.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:28 pm

I have several FCD's and none of them look like the pictured die. Maybe Lee is making a new and improved die or mine are just taper crimp dies.

carload9

well

Postby carload9 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:29 pm

well l bought a 45 colt fcd from lee. It should be good enough l guess. Surely someone @ LEE is happy with their colt FCD.

There is a post on CB's about a mod to collet roll crimp die.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:38 pm

I think Lee's description of their FCD leaves some room for misunderstanding of their function. As they are caliber specific I am sure that the ones designed for cartridges that require a roll crimp employ a different crimping collar than the the ones used for semi-auto rounds that head-space on the case mouth rim.

From Lee's site;
"Revolver dies roll crimp with no limit as to the amount."

"A perfect taper crimp is applied to auto-loader rounds. The crimper cannot be misadjusted to make a case mouth too small to properly head-space."

A cutaway drawing of each type of crimp bushing would be helpful I think.

mike

prs

Postby prs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 pm

I have done countless 45Colt loads in black powder and smokeless with 454 boolits. No problem and no CFCD. The seater/crimp die is roll crimp. The CFCD is sort of a hybrid roll crimp.

prs

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:11 am

I load 1000's of 45 colt ammo on one of the LM's every month and use the FCD from Lee with HC and jacketed bullets with what I believe is very good result. I have many customers that buy this ammunition and have never had a complaint. You do have to readjust the fcd for different bullets.

carload9

my load

Postby carload9 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:41 pm

There's my answer!

merry christmas myload.

Have not loaded any yet, after first. All l have is 200gr lymans w/3 coats of hitech-supercoat, federal primers. Got some this new alliant powder w/green EPA letters on bottle.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Most any reloading manual explains the difference between "taper" and "roll" crimp. A person must understand why each is used. Taper crimps are used on most pistol cartridges due to the fact they they headspace on the front of the case, whereas revolver cartridges headspace on the rim of the case. The roll crimp is more to remove the flare on the case when the bullet was placed and to "tighten" the bullet in the case to eliminate bullet jump under recoil. The LFCD can be modified if one does not like the more "flat" crimp that it produces. It does accomplish the exact same thing as the standard seating die that does a roll crimp when seating and crimping in the same operation. There is less chance of buckling a "too" long case using the LFCD.
For those of you that know all of this, it's not for you, but intended to explain a little of the procedure.

Now, to carload, haven't had time to be on here lately, but good to see many are still here from awhile ago.
Good luck with the 45 colt loading. It is one of my favorite ones to load outside of the business side. I always enjoy shooting up my Mistakes, but in the case of the 45 colt, I usually don't have many, but of course it easy to just grab a handful out of the container of those waiting to be boxed.
Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Load Master forum”