Auto Disk issue

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

daboone

Re: Titan Baffle

Postby daboone » Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 am

Hawkmoon wrote:
I went to the Titan web site. Under Powder Handling, I don't see any baffle listed.

The Titan baffle is frequently sold out and when it is they remove it from their listed inventory.

Last edited by daboone on Mon May 04, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

erle

Re: Titan Baffle

Postby erle » Mon May 04, 2015 9:41 am

Hawkmoon wrote:
I went to the Titan web site. Under Powder Handling, I don't see any baffle listed.

Sorry it is not listed now. Keep checking. He is getting more orders for it than he can fill so he removes it from website until he can mfg more. It is a round, white baffle that fits inside the hopper.

I have the bent metal type in my RCBS measure, but really like the Titan ones made for the Lee.

erle

Powder Baffle

Postby erle » Fri May 08, 2015 10:15 pm

The Powder Baffle is listed at Titan today!

Derwoodski

Postby Derwoodski » Wed May 13, 2015 3:14 pm

WyrTwister wrote:Never needed a baffle . Try to keep the powder hopper at least 1/2 full , or more .

My disk measures typically hold + - .1 grain repeatability .

If you wish to get it down to the last knat's whisker , buy a double disk kit . On larger amounts , use it as a double disk setup , with the larger disk cavity on the bottom .

For small charges , take the disk cavity that is just slightly less than the amount you want . Ream or sand it out ( trial and error ) until you get it perfect . Now mark that cavity with something like red finger nail polish to indicate it has been modified .

Lee also makes adjustable charge bars . They work great for larger charges . Not as well for smaller charges .

God bless
Wyr

to add to that, It seems the adjustable charge bar is more inconsistent with Large flake type powders at weights under 5 grains. I was playing around with ETR7 powder, which is a very large particle/flake, I needed charge weights in the 3.4-4.2 grains range. It was impossible with the adjustable charge bar, had to use the disks. My normal 9mm Minor load is HS-6, which is very small fine/grain 6.0 grains of which is a small volume and works great and meters very consistently with the adjustable charge bar.

john_bud

Postby john_bud » Wed May 20, 2015 3:51 pm

I'm also using etr7 and can vouch it throws light occasionally.

Measured a couple light throws of 0.9 and 1.0 gr, refilled the cases and FIRED them to see the result in a "controlled environment".

The first fired was the 0.9 it didn't sqib, but....

It was close! Initially, I thought it was a squib as all there was was a cap gun puff of smoke. Barrel was clear and the chrono read it. The 1.0 gr looked and felt the same, but ran 225fps.

They were caught because I LOOK at each case before hand placing the bullet. Sort of scary, eh? But at least it doesn't double and kerblam.

Derwoodski

Postby Derwoodski » Thu May 21, 2015 3:12 pm

john_bud wrote:I'm also using etr7 and can vouch it throws light occasionally.

Measured a couple light throws of 0.9 and 1.0 gr, refilled the cases and FIRED them to see the result in a "controlled environment".

The first fired was the 0.9 it didn't sqib, but....

It was close! Initially, I thought it was a squib as all there was was a cap gun puff of smoke. Barrel was clear and the chrono read it. The 1.0 gr looked and felt the same, but ran 225fps.

They were caught because I LOOK at each case before hand placing the bullet. Sort of scary, eh? But at least it doesn't double and kerblam.

Have never actually done that intentionally, but have had a couple of squibs during a match (loading WSF with the adjustable charge bar), luckily, Myself the RO and half the squad recognized it before I could rack another round behind it. I haven't had any squibs since loading HS-6 (knock on Wood) :D I am more religious about looking into every case as I load now!

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prairie-Dog-6-1 ... xyuR5TYlD8

The very best baffle and when you see it you'll know why

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:34 am

I decided to give this baffle a try, and was amazed at how it brought the consistence of my loads up. I've always tried to keep the powder level up in my hoppers to even out the head pressure so to speak, but this made a world of difference.

So far I've only tried it with Titegroup, but will be trying it with Unique before too long.

My 45 colt load is rite in the middle of the range so .1 grain isn't going to make much difference, with this baffle every charge I weighted was rite on the money, a few were maybe .05 grains off.

Return to “Load Master forum”