what grease do you use?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Blademaker
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 am

what grease do you use?

Postby Blademaker » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am

Just out of curiosity, what grease do you use to lube your LM?

I started out using a moly automotive grease, then mobil 1 synthetic, then tried frog lube. So far I'm liking the frog lube best. I still pump moly into the grease certs and ram.

Horseman
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Postby Horseman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:46 am

I don't use grease on my LM. I know it has zerks but I ignore them, I wipe down the ram then reoil using gun oil. I use a spray synthetic oil on the pivot points (not every time I use it) and a "gun grease" (very lightly) anywhere else I deem necessary (index rod, bottom of shell plate, etc;) I do this on all my presses. I also wipe any "excess" off as I'm doing this. I'm not sure it matters much on what you use as long as you lube it.

Blademaker
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 am

Postby Blademaker » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:52 am

Pretty much my thoughts, like an old man once told me, "it's all greasy"

Or some people I know of go to extreme lengths for GI issue lube for there M1 Garands, when a trip to walmart will secure better grease at a fraction of the cost. Lube's improved a bit in 70+ years.

So far though, I'm liking the Frog lube, the grease is very low viscosity, and slick. Not as sticky as the others I've tried either.

websterz
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:03 am

Postby websterz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 pm

A dab of white lithium when and where needed, the ram itself gets a light spray of silicone and a wipe down when I'm done for the day.

WyrTwister
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:20 am

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:51 am

I have been using conventional engine oil + transmission fluid + STP .

May change to synthetic 5W-30 engine oil .

God bless
Wyr

carload9
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 am

Postby carload9 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:52 pm

mili-tec 1 from ebay & on guns too.

User avatar
THRASH
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Postby THRASH » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Mobil 1 but CorrosionX for light oil stuff, it is incredible.

User avatar
Chickenthief
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:00 am

Re: what grease do you use?

Postby Chickenthief » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:14 pm

Blademaker wrote:Just out of curiosity, what grease do you use to lube your LM?

I started out using a moly automotive grease, then mobil 1 synthetic, then tried frog lube. So far I'm liking the frog lube best. I still pump moly into the grease certs and ram.


Hydrogenated Jojoba oil!
Nothing magic about it. If it worked it would be used in car engines.


I tried to check on what Frog lube is. I know that instead of patenting the formulation, that it is kept as a trade secret. This is what I know about frog lube so far.

1. It appears to be a polyunsaturated plant based waxy ester.
2. The minty smell is some stuff that appears to be added to throw folks off as to what the stuff truly is
3. The color is also some additive that was put in to throw folks off as to what the stuff is.
4. Frog lube, in its natural state appears to be a white waxy grease like compound very much like Crisco in nature.
5. Since it is a waxy ester, it will stick and penetrate to metal very nicely.
6. Since it is a waxy ester, it will be much more resilient against heat and chemical degradation... unlike bacon grease, which is a fatty acid.
7. Dirt and grit will 'float' on frog lube. This is the nature of plant based waxes. They are very well known in the literature for doing this.
8. The two forms of frog lube, (liquid and paste), are almost the same thing. The natural state of frog lube appears to be a liquid. I am guessing that some form of partial hydrogenation is how the paste is made.

My best guess is that the active ingredient in frog lube is most likely the partially hydrogenated form of jojoba bean oil. Jojoba bean is chemically a plant based wax that naturally occurs as a liquid form at room temperature. It is a fully unsaturated ester and will form a Crisco like paste when partially hydrogenated. I am guessing that the liquid form of frog lube is the oil itself with some mint and coloring additives added.

Because of these properties, frog lube will not prevent rust like other CLP formulations. I am guessing this is why frog lube failed the Mil Spec test in miserable fashion.

Frog lube should work fairly well for the following uses:
1. General purpose lubricant for moving parts
2. Film lube to keep dirt and grit from adversely affecting machinery
3. Bore conditioner.

I personally use frog lube to lube those parts I do not wish to lube too often. The most common being magazine springs and parts that feed the ammunition in my firearms. I also use a thin film on all the slides and a very thin film on the springs and moving parts.

I also use frog lube as a bore conditioner. Using frog lube as a bore conditioner does help with the cleaning. However, if you shoot a ton of rounds then, it does not help much because the lube will degrade from the extreme heat of repeated firing.

How am I able to guess all this? I have friends in Chemical research. Since Frog lube is guarded as a Trade secret, this got me really curious as to what this stuff is. I then sent a sample to some of my friends so we could run it through some infrared spectrometers. I also wanted to to a GC, (gas chromatographic analyses), but I figured that the color and smell was most likely red herrings placed into the compound to attempt to fool any enterprising Chemist or Chemical engineer.

I am a Chemical Engineer; however, I am currently employed as an Electrical Engineer.

http://rugerforum.net/maintenance/43696 ... ads-4.html

El Hombre
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: what grease do you use?

Postby El Hombre » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Chickenthief wrote:
Blademaker wrote:Just out of curiosity, what grease do you use to lube your LM?

I started out using a moly automotive grease, then mobil 1 synthetic, then tried frog lube. So far I'm liking the frog lube best. I still pump moly into the grease certs and ram.


Hydrogenated Jojoba oil!
Nothing magic about it. If it worked it would be used in car engines.


I tried to check on what Frog lube is. I know that instead of patenting the formulation, that it is kept as a trade secret. This is what I know about frog lube so far.

1. It appears to be a polyunsaturated plant based waxy ester.
2. The minty smell is some stuff that appears to be added to throw folks off as to what the stuff truly is
3. The color is also some additive that was put in to throw folks off as to what the stuff is.
4. Frog lube, in its natural state appears to be a white waxy grease like compound very much like Crisco in nature.
5. Since it is a waxy ester, it will stick and penetrate to metal very nicely.
6. Since it is a waxy ester, it will be much more resilient against heat and chemical degradation... unlike bacon grease, which is a fatty acid.
7. Dirt and grit will 'float' on frog lube. This is the nature of plant based waxes. They are very well known in the literature for doing this.
8. The two forms of frog lube, (liquid and paste), are almost the same thing. The natural state of frog lube appears to be a liquid. I am guessing that some form of partial hydrogenation is how the paste is made.

My best guess is that the active ingredient in frog lube is most likely the partially hydrogenated form of jojoba bean oil. Jojoba bean is chemically a plant based wax that naturally occurs as a liquid form at room temperature. It is a fully unsaturated ester and will form a Crisco like paste when partially hydrogenated. I am guessing that the liquid form of frog lube is the oil itself with some mint and coloring additives added.

Because of these properties, frog lube will not prevent rust like other CLP formulations. I am guessing this is why frog lube failed the Mil Spec test in miserable fashion.

Frog lube should work fairly well for the following uses:
1. General purpose lubricant for moving parts
2. Film lube to keep dirt and grit from adversely affecting machinery
3. Bore conditioner.

I personally use frog lube to lube those parts I do not wish to lube too often. The most common being magazine springs and parts that feed the ammunition in my firearms. I also use a thin film on all the slides and a very thin film on the springs and moving parts.

I also use frog lube as a bore conditioner. Using frog lube as a bore conditioner does help with the cleaning. However, if you shoot a ton of rounds then, it does not help much because the lube will degrade from the extreme heat of repeated firing.

How am I able to guess all this? I have friends in Chemical research. Since Frog lube is guarded as a Trade secret, this got me really curious as to what this stuff is. I then sent a sample to some of my friends so we could run it through some infrared spectrometers. I also wanted to to a GC, (gas chromatographic analyses), but I figured that the color and smell was most likely red herrings placed into the compound to attempt to fool any enterprising Chemist or Chemical engineer.

I am a Chemical Engineer; however, I am currently employed as an Electrical Engineer.

http://rugerforum.net/maintenance/43696 ... ads-4.html


It's just coconut oil! That's been bouncing around the net for the last year or so....

Jim_Duncan
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 pm
Location: Winter Haven, Fla

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 am

I have used Silver Bullet Gun Oil. Was wondering about those zircs however....

erle
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Postby erle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Jim_Duncan wrote:I have used Silver Bullet Gun Oil. Was wondering about those zircs however....



I feel better shooting some grease in each zerk occasionally. I keep one of the miniature grease guns at the bench just for the LLM's.

Erle

Jim_Duncan
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 pm
Location: Winter Haven, Fla

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:42 pm

erle wrote:
Jim_Duncan wrote:I have used Silver Bullet Gun Oil. Was wondering about those zircs however....



I feel better shooting some grease in each zerk occasionally. I keep one of the miniature grease guns at the bench just for the LLM's.

Erle


Yes, I agree and unpacked my grease gun to do this in addition to oiling the ram. Can't hurt.

prs
Posts: 852
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Postby prs » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:35 am

The pivot pins that have the zerk fittings are the stress points, the fulcrum of the lever system. Keep them lubed. The best and the worse is black colored moly fortified grease. Does the best job, screws-up your clothing the most. The red translucent greases such as Shaffer's or Lucas Red 'n Tacky have a good reputation and maybe stain clothing less. The white lithium greases made for automotive door latches may be a good choice for not staining clothing and still providing excellent lube. I always wipe the "joints" after lubing and after a few hundred rounds. I will make a mess, you do not wipe away the excess. I use quality gun oil on the ram oiler fitting, same as I use on my 1911 slides.

prs

Jal5
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Postby Jal5 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:42 pm

I use the white lithium type grease and hit the zercs occasionally. I will probably get into a pattern of doing that every time I change the die turrets.
I use simple light machine oil in the oil fitting every so often too.


Return to “Load Master forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 18 guests