spent primers problem

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

vaskeet

spent primers problem

Postby vaskeet » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49 pm

well the way I mounted my new loadmaster I cant open the slide to get rid of the spent primers without removing the press from the bench (painful) I would like to get rid of the slide door and rig up something to catch the primers. has anyone else got rid of the door and if so how does it come off or do I have to cut it off thanks

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 am

Don't cut anything. There are a couple of old threads here about taking the door off and installing a tube so they drop into a container.

erle

Postby erle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:34 am

Do a "search" for DaveInGA post on 1/10/16 entitled "Bench Mounting a Loadmaster."

He explains how he uses a tube & floor container.

Erle

john127

Postby john127 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:38 pm

You deprime before reloading IF you wet tumble your brass, then its not an issue.

vaskeet

Postby vaskeet » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:47 pm

john127 wrote:You deprime before reloading IF you wet tumble your brass, then its not an issue.

You lost me what does it have to do with having to unmoumt press to get rid of spent primers

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:51 am

Dave explains the tube gadget to direct primers into a container as part of the thread on bench mounting

john127

Postby john127 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:29 pm

vaskeet wrote:You lost me what does it have to do with having to unmoumt press to get rid of spent primers

If you 'wet tumble' your brass, most reloaders remove the primers before going to the reloading press IF you want the tumbling process to clean the primer pockets & most do. IF, however, you choose to do that using your LLM press then yes, I understand the confusion from my comment. If you deprime using a separate tool, then dumping the spent primers from the LLM ram tube is not an issue. One method of non-LLM depriming, which I use, is the Harvey Deprimer. It's a little pricey but it works. Other ways are on a separate single stage press with primer catch...and there are other ways, as I'm sure you know, as well.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:11 pm

There is no better "manual" way to deprime pistol brass before tumbling than a Loadmaster set up with one die, a universal deprimer, and a case feeder. No primer system, just a turret with one die in it. It is amazing how fast it goes with one handle pull and one case deprimed. Several folks here use this method and some even have a dedicated a Loadmaster to depriming.

I was able to get about 2,000 large pistol primers in the ram before it interfered with indexing during a test I did one time running a Loadmaster as a deprimer only. I do not remember how fast it went but for me it was very fast.

vaskeet, look at the various methods of tube installation and play with it, or come up with your own idea. (Dave's sounds promising)

GD

john127

Postby john127 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:17 pm

Well, I happen to prefer the method I use better. Maybe if obama were in charge of our reloading procedures he'd write an 'executive order' that we all deprime the same way.

vaskeet

Postby vaskeet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:11 pm

I came up with my own way
Christmas loadmaster
well I got the loadmaster for Christmas and finally mounted it on the bench that's when I discovered that I could not open the door to the spent primer area without removing the press from the bench. That aint gonna happen! So I removed the door. Then the primers fall out and go everywhere. Since they come out of the bottom of the ram I could not mount anything there. Some people have made parts that go inside the ram and use a hose. I thought of another way I built a box/tube with 1x4 and scrap laminate flooring. I mounted the box just under the handle in the down position leaving enough clearance to allow full travel. the handle blocks the primer from coming out the front and directs it into my wooden tube. where it comes out the bottom into a box. I will make a wooden box that will fit it better that the tub I put there for the trial It worked like a champ
Still need to trim and even up the bottom The wooden tube is about 3 inches wide by 3/4 deep

DaveInGA

An alternative method

Postby DaveInGA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Here's a couple pics of an alternative method:
1. Packing some JB Weld Steel Stik into areas where tubes will be mounted:
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/Reloading%20Stuff/Adding%20JB%20Weld%20Epoxy%20to%20Spent%20Primer%20area%20of%20Carrier%202_zpslrxqcg8q.jpg[/img][/img]

2. After Steel Stik dries, drill through holes and a flange at the top. Cut brass tubing to length, flange using flange tool and insert. If it flops around, us a little Steel Stik rubbed on the tube to stabilize it. Let dry. Smaller tube is spent primers. Larger tube is dropped, but good primers. there is a small shelf preventing primer stacking towards center behind small tube if you look close.
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/Reloading%20Stuff/Epoxy%20dry%20drilled%20and%20flared%20brass%20tubing%20added_zpsje0g5lcr.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by DaveInGA on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveInGA

Postby DaveInGA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:59 pm

5. After reinstalling carrier, mount press and route tubing to empty coffee can or suitable spent primer receptacle. This keeps primer filth routed quickly away from and out of press, preventing primer filth wear. It also provides for better cleaning lubing of most things on the press:
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/DaveinOakwoodGA/Reloading%20Stuff/Lee%20Loadmaster%20mounted%20on%20Inline%20Fabrications%20quick%20change%20plate%20and%204%20inch%20riser.%20See%20also%20Mikes%20Reloading%20Bench%20shake%20brak_zpsfqg4fjaf.jpg[/img][/img]

prs

Postby prs » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:51 am

I removed the sliding door at the bottom. Drilled a hole through the brass head of a used 16ga shot shell hull, such hole being as large as possible without cutting the side walls of the plastic hull. Pushed the 16ga hull down through where the trap door used to be. Then I used a Lee spent primer tube and cap replacement part from the newer model turret press to push up into the 16ga hull. The old star crimp on mouth of the hull holds the tube firmly and this has been in service now for quite a few years.

Primer dirt and grime entering the re-prime stage of this press is one of the chief causes, if not THE CHIEF cause, of the primer problems. You have to keep the spent primers from collecting too much in that ram tube.

prs

GhostlyOne

Postby GhostlyOne » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Started out de-priming on the LLM, but went back to my "old" method of de-priming on another press. The primers are way to dirty. I use a Lee Breechlock Challenger set up for de-prime only. Keeps the LLM cleaner and the Breechlock is MUCH easier to clean.

Return to “Load Master forum”