Loadmaster Barebones vs Bundle

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

pdoggeth

Loadmaster Barebones vs Bundle

Postby pdoggeth » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Folks

New to the forum, and interested in upgrading from Lee Single Stage to Loadmaster.

I see that Midway offers a barebones Loadmaster press and a some Loadmasters in a specific caliber bundle kit.

One thing I'm not sure about and can only reference from the picture is, does the barebones Loadmaster come with the completed rounds bin, or is it something extra? Likewise, do the bundles come with this bin?

As it stands, the bundles are a better deal, except I have the dies I want already, and also I'd still have to shell out extra $ for the auto-drum measure.

erle

Postby erle » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 pm

I know the complete kit comes with the bin but don't know for sure about the press only. I am thinking that the bin does NOT come with the press only. Give Titanreloading.com a call & ask them. It's a good place to purchase your equipment.

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:27 pm

I bought a 'press only' from Titan; no loaded round bin. BUT, If there was ever an over priced piece of reloading hardware, the loaded bin is it. It's just a molded plastic rack bin. HF sells them lots cheaper than any reloading company; if you get a Blue one, you know who that is, it's $30!

The press comes with a small primer assembly, the case feeder is there, need a collator, the 4 tube kit. Order the shell plate you need for your existing dies and another turret or two. Get your drum measure and you're in business. You might want to get some of the other feeder sizes....

While you're making up an order, go thru the whole Lee line and order anything that you might think will come in handy. Don't order a bin! Most vendors have figured out shipping charges are a profit center, so try to get as much on one order. Gets expensive just shipping a small package. So when in doubt, order it. Plus if it's in stock, probably won't be when you figure out you want it. Guns and reloading are about as picked clean as just after the Sandy Hook shooting.

pdoggeth

Postby pdoggeth » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Hahah, good advice. I guess I can forgo the Lee bin and just go to Harbor Freight to buy one of theirs.

You sure the barebones kit comes with the stuff you mentioned, El Hombre? I go to Titan Reloading and it says everything is separate, except for 1 turret and a shell plate carrier.

john127

Postby john127 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:34 pm

He's right. You don't get any bins with the barebones press because that's what I ordered & they didn't come with it. He's also right about how they stick it to ya buying their bins.

erle

Postby erle » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:25 pm

I guess it's the mounting bracket that makes them so much.

They call it a "case catcher" that is included with the mounting bracket in the complete kit.

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 am

pdoggeth wrote:Hahah, good advice. I guess I can forgo the Lee bin and just go to Harbor Freight to buy one of theirs.

You sure the barebones kit comes with the stuff you mentioned, El Hombre? I go to Titan Reloading and it says everything is separate, except for 1 turret and a shell plate carrier.

I was surprised with how complete the press only was. Dies, shellplate, and powder measure and its running. You need the collator and 4 tubes to use the case feeder. Mine came with the big case feed slider; I'd check with Titan to see if that's standard or you have your choice. I paid $142 from Titan a couple of years ago, but shipping was $22. You probably should get on the phone and nail down exactly what you get today; they might have pulled some of the stuff I got with mine. Don't buy the bin!!

Just looked at Titan, now you need to buy $40 worth of primer bits and case feeder too. It's not a deal, like I got. Just buy the kit in the caliber you need, lots cheaper that way. I had everything I needed to set up a second machine with the base press.... bummer for you.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:31 am

El Hombre wrote:
Just looked at Titan, now you need to buy $40 worth of primer bits and case feeder too. It's not a deal, like I got. Just buy the kit in the caliber you need, lots cheaper that way.

He is correct, the kit is most cost effective way even with changing powder measure (if you need to, might not) and selling off extra measure and dies unless you get a caliber you will load in the future.

If you have enough extra parts on hand the basic model would make sense, otherwise no. Parts costs and shipping are to much to come out ahead on the basic model. I bought a kit and sold off extra stuff and came out way ahead of going the other route.

GD

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm

You didn't say what caliber you wanted to reload on the LM. If it's a handgun round there is nothing better out there than the Pro Disk measure that comes with the complete setup. I bought an Auto Drum to use on a Dillon 450 for 223/5.56 for it's larger drop capacity over the Pro disk, but found that the Pro disk measure was just as/more accurate with the double disk kit as the Auto drum (for that caliber) but it is limited in it's ability to drop larger and exact charges due to the disk cavities. The AD will drop larger charges (up to about 80 grains IIRC) and is more convenient to use however. I prefer the Pro disk for the handguns I reload for but I use the adjustable charge bar as the disks rarely hit exactly what I want and I don't use really small powder charges. (I've read where some have had issues with real small charges using the charge bar) Close usually, but if I wanted "close" I'd use dippers. Buy the kit, sell the dies, enjoy.

pdoggeth

Postby pdoggeth » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:00 pm

The loadmaster will primarily be for my pistol calibers -- 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm, 38 special & 357 magnum. Possibly for .223 as well once I get enough brass for it.

The other calibers I can relegate to my single stage as I don't shoot a lot of them so thus need to reload less.

I just did the math on the barebones vs a caliber specific kit. I think the costs will be about the same except the kit will have a slight advantage in that it comes with the Auto Disk powder measure ... which I don't plan on using.

I haven't used the Auto Disk before, but from what I read it's somewhat quirky to get the right charge weight, and also it can leak. I'd rather opt for the AutoDrum in that case.

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:25 pm

I'm sure you've read about lots of peeps that used the chart in the Lee Reloading manual to select a cavity in the powder measure that would give them exactly the desired charged; to the tenth of a grain. And it was close, but not exact, when they tried it. And they got all excited about it. Because it didn't drop exactly what they wanted. Where the quirky rep comes from.

The manual is just a guide to get you close, when you need to zero in, you need to use the adjustable charge bar, or install a set screw into a cavity that you turn in and out to get your number. If you don't get obsessed about a weight; if you stay around a mid range charge, a tenth or two really isn't going to make much of a difference.

If you get powder leaking, follow the guides about sanding the surface of the discs dead flat; they aren't flat from the factory. The auto disc is a really good powder measure, especially for pistol ammo. Try it, I think you'll be surprised how well it works. And if it isn't, order your drum measure when you're making another order....

piratepast40

Postby piratepast40 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:47 pm

http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bin-and-bracket
I didn't think $11.99 with the bracket was so expensive.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 am

El Hombre wrote: The manual is just a guide to get you close, when you need to zero in, you need to use the adjustable charge bar, or install a set screw into a cavity that you turn in and out to get your number. If you don't get obsessed about a weight; if you stay around a mid range charge, a tenth or two really isn't going to make much of a difference.

This is the first time I have heard about putting a set screw into the cavity to adjust the disk volume. Great idea.

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:12 pm

piratepast40 wrote:http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bin-and-bracket
I didn't think $11.99 with the bracket was so expensive.

When you can buy a bin for $2, and make a bracket out of metal every reloader should have hanging around, that's expensive. Spend the $10 you saved on something you can't build as cheaply, or build at all. That's a big part of the secret of getting your money to last long enough. Don't piss it away on things you can put together lots cheaper. Of course If you have nearly unlimited funds, buy it all. I can't.

carload9

Postby carload9 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:27 pm

rowe_s wrote:
El Hombre wrote: The manual is just a guide to get you close, when you need to zero in, you need to use the adjustable charge bar, or install a set screw into a cavity that you turn in and out to get your number. If you don't get obsessed about a weight; if you stay around a mid range charge, a tenth or two really isn't going to make much of a difference.

This is the first time I have heard about putting a set screw into the cavity to adjust the disk volume. Great idea.

Thats a good idea, tap a allenhead set screw in? Hum! Yea for loadbaster🏆

Return to “Load Master forum”