BIG PROBLEM WITH NEW PRIMER TRAYS

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

THRASH

BIG PROBLEM WITH NEW PRIMER TRAYS

Postby THRASH » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Haven't seen where anyone has addressed or mentioned this, but I had noticed the new folding trays are kind of loose in the mouth of the trough, and mine just jumped out (primers everywhere, ##@%%#@%). So I took a closer look and discovered three things:
1) The old round trays fit tighter in the trough, and in over two years I never had one of those jump out.
2) The new trays have a stepped recess on the bottom of the insertion tongue 1/2" back, that was not on the round trays [first pic].
3) My new Ergo Prime's Tray Adapter has a catch that clicks into that recess on the tray's tongue, and REALLY holds the tray in tight (kind of hard getting it off). [2nd pic]

I wouldn't of figured this out if I didn't have the new Ergo, but you can see how they designed this "catch."

SO... are there new primer assemblies that have the catch molded in the tongue of the trough? Guess I have to call Lee, but in the meantime I super-glued a little piece there from the tip of a plastic-composite shim, then filed it down to be angled like the recess on the new tray, works great now, and I did both assemblies. Would be nice if Lee had divulged this, eh? Anyone else notice, or get a new assembly lately, or had their tray jump out???

piratepast40

Postby piratepast40 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:19 am

I've had problems with them backing out as well. Haven't had the tray jump out, but have had it back out enough for primers to jam up and stop feeding. They're not all like that, but enough of them that you have to keep a close eye on it to make sure primers are going down the chute.

erle

Postby erle » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:24 am

One of my secrets to successfully operating the LLM is to go SLOW & EASY. (Sometimes I forget & that's when the MM primer system messes up) That was after I had forgotten once!

The other day when I went to load up some new primers I noticed that the new primer tray had backed out some. I now just use rubber bands to hold it close & no problems.

Erle

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:20 pm

So has anyone received new primer assemblies in the past few weeks? Did they mold in a catch? What about other press's primer ramps?

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:26 am

Anybody?

erle

Postby erle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:03 am

Don't hold your breath for Lee to make any rash improvements like that to accommodate any of us! My experience with Lee has been "what you see is what you get."

To their credit, Lee's goal from day one has been to provide workable equipment at as low a price as possible. They have never majored on providing quality equipment.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am

erle wrote:Don't hold your breath for Lee to make any rash improvements like that to accommodate any of us! My experience with Lee has been "what you see is what you get."

To their credit, Lee's goal from day one has been to provide workable equipment at as low a price as possible. They have never majored on providing quality equipment.

I've always looked at Lee's equipment as being designed and manufactured as to be "good enough"....as in, "Hey John, this new primer tray fits a bit loose in the trough, do you think we should spend another half of a cent and implement a catch for it?" (John) "Naw, it works 90% of the time, that's good enough"...

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 am

My new press I bought last week came with a new primer tray and the small primer assembly (black) didn't have anything different than my other press I bought almost 2 years ago with the round tray.

It also came with a blast shield

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:15 pm

I just got done messing around a bit on the new press and noticed the primer tray does fit more snug than on my other press.

After a closer look I noticed that the plastic tabs that make up the sides of where the tray is inserted seem to be bent inwards a bit more which would explain the tighter fit.

While this is plastic and not metal and and probably can't be "bent" without cracking, I'm sure it could be heated up somehow, like a heat gun or dipped into hot/boiling water for a certain amount of time to "soften" it a bit and allow the sides to be bent inwards a bit for better retention.

Here's a quick cell phone pic to show what I'm talking about...

erle

Postby erle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:25 pm

I use a hair dryer to heat things like that to keep from getting it too hot. I heat it until it bends in place & hold it together until it cools.

Like I said, I just usually wrap a rubber band around the trough & over the primer tray. Except on one small trough I bent the top tab down with a hair dryer & it fits tight enough for the tray to stay down.

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:22 pm

As I showed on the previous post above, adding this little plastic ramp locks it in, works like what Lee will likely be doing soon on their next gen LM primer troughs. It will be more pretty than mine I hope, but it works.

erle

Postby erle » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:05 pm

[quote="THRASH"]...like what Lee will likely be doing soon on their next gen LM primer troughs/[quote]

O.K. If that's what you want to think. SOON?

I can tell you haven't had much experience with Lee.

Just keep on dreaming, but don't hold your breath while waiting!
Last edited by erle on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:55 pm

I just take a tight wrap or two of electrical tape around the end. Black on the black one and red on the red one if you want it to "look nice"....

THRASH

Postby THRASH » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:27 pm

erle wrote:
THRASH wrote:...like what Lee will likely be doing soon on their next gen LM primer troughs/

O.K. If that's what you want to think. SOON?

I can tell you haven't had much experience with Lee.

Just keep on dreaming, but don't hold your breath while waiting!

Dunno, but they did change the hand primers last quarter to click with the new trays, but no word from anyone so far on any recent primer troughs (say within the past month?), be it LM, turret or single? Anyone out there get a new primer system recently, and did it have a new click-connect?

prs

Postby prs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:49 pm

The early model LMs, back when they first started plating the ram tube, came with a section of bent wire that clipped through the rear lid clasp opening and the stretched in to clip across the primer fixture and latch onto one of the little wings on the fixture. I figure it was a "drop back and punt" attempt by them to solve prime problems. I still use mine, although it is unnecessary. A similar bent wire clip might work well for this new tray.

prs

Return to “Load Master forum”