Installed "Shake Brake" on my 2 Loadmasters...WOW

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

gooffeyguy

Installed "Shake Brake" on my 2 Loadmasters...WOW

Postby gooffeyguy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:32 am

I ordered a bunch of goodies for my 2 LM's from Magic Mike last week and installed them over the weekend.

I installed a Shake Brake plate on each press but only plan on using one cargo bar between the two. I found one at Menards for $15 that has reverse threads on one end so you turn the hole rod to adjust it....

My LM's are mounted 38" from the floor (I sit on a stool while reloading), which is lower than most have them mounted, and had to modify the bar a bit.
The inner bar slides out from the outer bar and has spring loaded pegs that pop into holes in the outer bar which are spaced 3" apart, then has a 4-5" threaded rod on the ends for fine adjustment.

In order to get this bar to fit in the shorter space I have it retracted all the way into the outer bar and don't use any of the pegs/holes. There was a little problem with this, as the 4-5" threaded rod at the bottom of the outer bar was screwed in most of the way and would hit the peg "mechanism" in the inner rod and keep it from sitting down all the way. Remedy was easily done by removing the peg "mechanism", which is just a V shaped piece of metal the pegs are attached to...

This allows the two tubes to be slid into each other and make the bar as short as possible and short enough for me to use it. I secure it to the Shake Brake plate with a small bolt and wing nut which is just hand tightened. This allows me to easily move it between my two presses. Adjustment is super easy, just turn the outer tube clockwise a couple turns to preload the press...

It really removes the "shake" in the press while reloading!

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:08 pm

IMO, the shake brake is ESSENTIAL to a rock solid LM mounting.

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Made all the difference in mine. I used an old wooden dowel cut from a flag staff to fit.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 pm

I actually used one end of a old shower curtain for mine, along with Mike's Shake Brake plate.

erle

Postby erle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Every mod I received from Mike has been a great improvement & I have all his mod's on both of my LLM's. Glad you got the mod's also. Mike has given a lot of thought & put a lot of time into improving the LLM. I'm so thankful to him for making these available to us.

The Shake Break is what has allowed me to use the LLM as a 5 station progressive. I was like some & tempted to prime off press but it is so much faster & more convenient to do it all on the LM. I was losing primers off the pin without even noticing it. The Shake Break has eliminated that for me.

Continue to enjoy & thank you Mike for making it enjoyable.

carload9

Postby carload9 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:02 pm

I bought one but in the beginning l had to make one . Ive even though about screwing to the floor too. When you test as many dies as i have w/different set-ups, l've even felt lift with something or die stuck. No nice way to say it, if ya don't have a shake brake your a ..... or you have never tried one. If i had to vote on equal performance of mm's parts, this one gets the most points. Prob 5 hole die plate he makes next, then dillon 1050 (or should l say star press) type primer mod. I like the 2" spring w/eye-bolt on my powder hopper. I can go on but not.

The "LUND" chrome plated speader bar can be got @ ebay too:

l think mm got my brain working as it didn't start til l was about 59. Below you see how l seat gas checks useing LEE parts, websterz's punches. Lets dont forget member websterz's' quality parts that he makes. This table w/all prob weighs 1000lbs and this leg is bolted to floor, Took 1/2 hour to drill the hole in the 1959 concrete.

I LOVE SQUISHY GAS CHECKS ON THESE COATED LEAD BOOLITS.

------------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:35 pm

I like that gas check setup. What is that an arbor press?

Return to “Load Master forum”