.223 Stuck cases

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

SauceNM

.223 Stuck cases

Postby SauceNM » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:44 am

I was reloading .223 and working on the case feeder when a case got stuck in the sizer/decrimper. Not sure why that happened but it SURE is a P I T A.
Things were going so well since I started removing the primer crimp with the new RCBS swager combo.
After I got the cartridge out of the die it was STILL stuck on the depriming pin. The depriming pin and internal resizer were both bent so I straightened them out the best I could and ordered some spares.
I'm now *CAREFULLY* depriming/resizing on the old single stage Challenger press, that I picked up. BTW, TWO in a row got stuck on the Loadmaster. All had plenty of lube and I am still working with those same cases.
Just another day in paradise. /sarc off

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:52 pm

I'd say you have a lube problem. I use One Shot and have never had a stuck 223. Even better is Imperial, just slower.

El Hombre

Postby El Hombre » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:02 pm

If I'm using range pick up brass, I deprime with a steel rod with a .062"diameter needle bearing in the end. Put the brass on my block of oak with a hole in it and fish around to find the flash hole. If I have to fish too long, I take a good look and it's almost always a berdan primer....

I've always used a countersink bit to remove the crimp; just touch the case for at most 2 seconds and it's done. As fast as I can pick up each part, no adjustments or multiple motions like other methods. I saw some brass on ARF.com that some numbnuts reamed; instead of taking .002" from the edge of the pocket, they had reamed half way down thru the pocket; like they were tunneling to China!

SauceNM

Postby SauceNM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:15 am

Sparky45
I received my replacement depriming pins yesterday. I'm recapping/resizing using the same die that got stuck, only using the new replacement pin.
I continued decapping the same batch of cases that got stuck, about 200 of them and not a single problem. I took the case feeder off, just in case it had shoved that stuck case in crooked.
For the time being I'm using an old single stage Lee, that I picked up and repaired, to decap, resize, swage and length trim.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Sounds like you got her fixed.

carload9

Postby carload9 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:16 pm

i like the universal Decapping die. U have one of mm's new 5 hole die plate? Its not a turret, it does not move. Your carrier ain't adjusted right.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun May 01, 2016 8:58 am

carload9 wrote:i like the universal Decapping die. U have one of mm's new 5 hole die plate? Its not a turret, it does not move. Your carrier ain't adjusted right.

Wonder why they didn't name it tool holder? Think I will start using that description.

Return to “Load Master forum”