Load Master Primer Feed

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

rodc

Load Master Primer Feed

Postby rodc » Sat May 14, 2016 8:29 am

Hi,

I'm new to the loadmaster and this forum, please be gentle if I'm asking something obvious. Oh and appologies for the length of my first post.

I got my loadmaster a couple of weeks ago, it's for 38sp and came as the complete kit.

From reading around I've found that the primer feed can be a little fussy, in my case the primer pin jamed in the shell plate and the only way to release it was to gently tap the pin with a screwdriver. This of course is a little difficult when there is a primed case in the way. I used some emery to resize the pin and am now having no jams.

I have since found that for every case I load new primers drops into the used primer container. At this point I thought I would open up the primer loader and check for moulding marks and smooth it all out with some emery.

When I split the primer loader I noticed an embossed L, now for my question...

My primer loader is red and has an L embossed in 2 places, does this mean this is a large primer loader? I've had a look at the Lee website and the photo for the large primer is red while the small one is black.

Any help from you experts is gratefully received.

Many Thanks
Rod

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Sat May 14, 2016 10:51 am

Yes, the red primer trough is for large primers

JDH

Postby JDH » Sat May 14, 2016 11:03 am

Hi, You may already know by now the red trough is for large primers and you will need the black (small primers) one for 38 spec/ 357 mag. This stuff really makes me angry when companies send out mix/match stuff to new beginners as if they don't have enough to worry about in the beginning. Just hang in there and don't be afraid to ask questions, we were all there at one time. This is the best place to get help and advice on any questions you may have. Their are a lot of great talented people here and willing to help!
Good Luck

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Sat May 14, 2016 12:45 pm

If you bought it new i would contact Lee and tell them yours came with the wrong primer system for the caliber the kit was setup for. More than likely they will send you the correct parts

rodc

Postby rodc » Sat May 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the quick respones, yes I bought it new but as a UK shooter I may have trouble getting Lee to send the correct parts.

I'll order the correct part, the existing one will be kept for when I need to reload with larger primers. Just another excuse to buy a new gun.

I'm quite pleased my suspicions were proved correct, and that the pin wasn't so badly made that it jammed from bad manufacturing.

Many Thanks
Rod

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 am

It has probably already become obvious to you but you will also need the small primer pin along with the small trough...hate to admit it but I have, on occasion, changed over to a different caliber (to small primer vs large) and forgot to change the pin. (usually by grabbing the wrong press, one is set up for large and one for small) It can be difficult to remove the large pin that's stuck in small primer shell plate... :oops:

rodc

Postby rodc » Sun May 29, 2016 5:30 pm

I got the replacment primer kit which included the correct size pin.

Fitted it and did a quick test of 30 rounds. No problems! All pimers seated correctly and none in the waste bin. :D

Thank you for your help and advice!

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Mon May 30, 2016 6:40 pm

I will bet the small primer assembly has an " S " on it ? :-)

I bought the .357 Mag kit , quite a few years ago . I was having problems with the cases tipping over . It turned out Lee had packaged the short case slider , that is appropriate for , say . 9 x 19 mm .

At the rime Lee was going through a transition with their priming assemblies . They ended us giving me 2 or 3 generations of primer assemblies , free . :-)

I am now set up for calibers .223 , .30 Carbine , 9 x 19 mm , .357 Mag , .38 Special , .44 Mag , .45 ACP and .45 LC . Maybe some more I forget ?

Good to hear you got your problems solved .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Load Master forum”