Indexing problem

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:16 am

If you can't get this "fixed", I have an extra frame sitting in my reloading room you can have for shipping cost from 98620. It's a used frame, the ram was "buggered" and you can't just buy a ram from Lee, you have to buy frame and all so I just used the new frame. Actually the "old" frame is a better casting and has the oil port for the ram. The new one doesn't.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:39 am

I agree with Horseman about the older frames being nicer castings. My press is about five years old and compared to the new ones I have had in my shop, mine has a much smoother finish on it. Also on the newer ones I see they are machining the index rod withdrawal ramp. I have had problems with that because they didn't machine it far enough so the flipper would hit the end of the machined area before the index rod was fully extracted and it would jam up the works. So, who knows.

One thing I did notice on my press is that when the flipper contacts the small protrusion at the top of the stroke it also contacts the edge of the round portion of the frame which kicks it over just a bit more at the very top of the stroke. You might check and see if this is happening on your press also.

mike

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:06 pm

I will check on that mike. Mine is also an older press with the oiler hole.
What do you think about the measurements I took on that? Should I mess with the top bump out?
Last edited by Jal5 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Horseman I will let you know I plan to tinker with this a little more first.

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:19 pm

"On my press which indexes without a hitch, the distance from the turret bore to the outside of the press frame at the turret locking screw point measures 0.465". Directly across to the other side of the bore it measures 0.469". I would call this pretty good. You might measure your press and see what you come up with. Maybe we could both learn something here. I would be curious to know. "

Magic Mike-
My measurement is a bit larger
.465-.474
Would that much difference account for the failure to index properly? I can file the little bump down but hate to do that if its not necessary.

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:12 am

I made a slight adjustment to the ejector piece if that's what it's called and bent the tang down a hair so that it engages the shellplate better. Now the 9mm plate on it indexes fine. I will try the 223 plate tonite. Maybe I am getting somewhere. Fingers crossed! That ejector looks a little worn on the tang too.

Jal5

Re: Indexing problem

Postby Jal5 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:56 pm

The 223 plate indexes most of the time now. I believe the ejector piece is to blame. If it moves slightly clockwise the index rod will either hang up or won't index at all. Pushing it back counter clockwise fixes it. I watched the video again on modifying the ejector and I think that will fix it.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:15 am

If that doesn't "fix" the issue it could be the carrier is just to worn at the top. The "square" where the shell plate and ejector sits gets worn and allows a bit of movement of the ejector which then allows movement of the shell plate (clockwise). I read somewhere (with pictures), here I believe, showing how to "peen" that part to "tighten" things up again. New carrier is around 25 bucks.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Jal5 wrote:The 223 plate indexes most of the time now. I believe the ejector piece is to blame. If it moves slightly clockwise the index rod will either hang up or won't index at all. Pushing it back counter clockwise fixes it. I watched the video again on modifying the ejector and I think that will fix it.

Maybe the carrier is not yet adjusted properly. If the ejector is in good shape and the way you are describing things, I believe your carrier should be turned just slightly counter clockwise.

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:32 am

Horseman thanks for that reminder about peening the ejector. I will look at that again

Jal5

Postby Jal5 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:20 pm

I tried the peening at four spots on the ejector and that worked great. No more movement of shellplate and running smoothly again. Thanks to all who helped me

Return to “Load Master forum”