The dreaded carrier adjustment

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

bill3337

The dreaded carrier adjustment

Postby bill3337 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:23 pm

I got the machine in 1993 and read about it in the instructions and hoped i never had to do it .
Today i am loading all junk range brass,for an IDPA match that is really a lost brass match,as soon as i finsh shooting and check my targets the brass rats are swarming behind me,so i have all odd old brass, s&b,gfl,drt armscore cbc etc(.45 acp) you get the picture.
This is somewhat challanging for the loadmaster ,and i expect a problem or two.
But the primers have a cresant are seating flush to high and the bullet feeder is not aligning , then the primer seater punch jams .
So i think its the brass and i switch to fed &winchies ,same thing !! Now i change out the primer feeder ,no good and the machine wont index 4 shells in a row.
So after cleaning the shell plate underneath , with all the jams i think its a few primers and dirt caught up there.
So i take a deep breath and loosen the drawbolt swing the carrier by the shell feeder tang and go for it .. took a couple of tries but that was it ,back to normal 13 to 15 shells a minute .
so if you get any of the above symptoms go for it right away its easy there is plenty on you tube .shows you how..there was no internet back in the day and i didnt have to do it till now
off topic throw a little graphite in the primer tray , they wont tend to bridge and go down the chute easier ,might help with seating too!
Hope you enjoyed my little saga : :D
let me know what you think of this :arrow: :?: :lol:

prs

Re: The dreaded carrier adjustment

Postby prs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:40 am

Suggestions for when index needs to be corrected due to jambs or hard to process brass include checking carrier for cracks, especially around the primer lever pivot screw in the back. Look very closely with bright light. A "prime" cause of primer jambs is dirt and grit form spent primers fouling that primer lever and primer punch in the primer well of the carrier. Lee's design where spent primers collect in the ram tube interior was a bad idea. Countless users have said the press worked well for the first few hundred rounds and then would jamb primers. The dirty primers in the tube interior are the source of many of those fails. Darwin as described his modification to have the spent primers drop into a bucket. I have described my mod of his mod where by I use the clear tube Lee fits to the current turret press to catch the spent primers. Either will save you some grief. Last, work at a smooth steady pace without herky-jerky motions and STOP when a process feels "funny".

Carry on.

prs

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 am

I wish back when I was first putting a Loadmaster into operation that I would have cleaned the primer pockets before running on the loadmaster. My Guess is the absence of all that spent primer dirt would have eliminated a lot of my early crashes.

It's too late to try now because I don't prime on the Loadmaster.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:46 am

I've never really had a lot of issues with the primer system on either of my LM's, one is set up for large pistol and the other small pistol. There was a learning curve, but no where near what it was for the Pro-1000, I've actually had way more primer issues with it than the LM. I'm thinking it's because I deprime before wet tumbling is the reason. I started out reloading black powder cartridges and moved to smokeless. With black powder you need at least a water rinse to get salts out, and it's a good practice to pop the primers out because of all the gunk that will build up in the primer pocket. I just continued the practice with smokeless cases. I've got a little hand deprimer tool and will sit and watch TV while popping primers out.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Regarding Career adjustment is there a specific measurement or feeler gauge to use when setting up the carrier? The one detailed video I saw said make contact and then rotate it back away from the press body a little bit. I might have heard 1/32" but not sure. Has anyone determined a specific measurement that can be met using a feeler gauge? one thousandth or more, 1/32 more or less?

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 pm

llangston1 wrote:Regarding Career adjustment is there a specific measurement or feeler gauge to use when setting up the carrier? The one detailed video I saw said make contact and then rotate it back away from the press body a little bit. I might have heard 1/32" but not sure. Has anyone determined a specific measurement that can be met using a feeler gauge? one thousandth or more, 1/32 more or less?

I do what Lee says in the instructions (except the draw bolt torque). The flipper hub just touches. Seems to work fine and the dies center up on the shell plate just fine.

"Alignment of the Carrier to the Turret
This is an adjustment that need never be done unless
you disassemble the carrier from the ram.
The draw bolt head, at the bottom of the ram,
MUST be loosened so the carrier can be rotated on
the end of the ram. With the index flipper in the “in
position” and the carrier at the pull out rib position,
swing the carrier clockwise (viewed from top) until
center hub of index flipper contacts the pull-out rib."

GD

Return to “Load Master forum”