Convert LoadMaster to load 223 or buy single stage or turret?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

gooffeyguy

Convert LoadMaster to load 223 or buy single stage or turret?

Postby gooffeyguy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:52 am

I currently have two LoadMaster presses set up for different pistol calibers. I'm thinking about starting to reload 5.56/.223 rifle and not sure if I should buy parts to convert one of the LoadMasters or just get a single stage or turret press.

I don't shoot the rifle as much as I do my pistols, so I don't need the volume of a progressive. Besides the die set, what else would I need to convert a LLM setup for 9mm to load .223, just a shellplate and rifle case feeder? Would I be better off just getting something like a Breech Lock Challenger and a set of dies?

Sparky45

Re: Convert LoadMaster to load 223 or buy single stage or turret?

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:48 pm

I don't think you'd need anything else to load 5.56 on the LLM. Take off the case loader stuff and hand place the brass onto the shell plate. Now if you are going to charge the brass you will need a 223/5.56 pwd die with insert. That's all I can think that you might need.

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:30 pm

What's the difference in the #19 and #4s shellplate? I see it's listed as the one for .223 and .380. I have a universal decaper in station 1 and have manually ran some brass into that station to deprime them with no problem using the #19.

If the #19 shellplate will work then I guess I'll just need a turret, dies, and powder die (does a die set not come with a powder die?)
If it doesn't work correctly then add a #4s shellplate to the list.

websterz

Postby websterz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 pm

I use the #19 with no issues.

dantheman

Postby dantheman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:17 pm

I didn't care for the Auto Disk powder measure for the 223. I use a Hornady Lock N Load powder measure on my 223 Load Master set up.

Dan

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:50 am

Since I have more than one AR , I use a small base sizing die . This also de-primes the brass .

If are you going to use brass with crimped primer pockets ? If so , you are going to need to swag / ream the crimp from the primer pocket .

Once you get that taken care of , the brass will have to be checked & trimmed as necessary . Inside & outside of the case mouth de-burred .

I do these steps with a turret or single stage press . After the lube is removed from the brass , I switch to the LM .

I use the case feeder with a wooden block " extension " on the tall case slider . This helps keep the cases from falling over ( except the last 1 or 2 in the clear plastic tube ) . Check the photos starting at

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/WyrTwi ... ort=2&o=17

I also use the rifle case feeder cylinder

http://leeprecision.com/pro-case-feeder-rifle.html

I have a .223 collet neck sizing die that I put in station # 1 . This serves to true up the case neck , if I messed it up during brass prep . The de-priming pin also pokes out any tumbling media stuck in the primer pocket or flash hole .

The rest of the process is pretty much the same as when loading hand gun ammo .

I use the disk measure with either the double disk kit or the adjustable charge bar .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Load Master forum”