Case feeder nightmare

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

john_bud

Case feeder nightmare

Postby john_bud » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm about to take the oxy/ac torch to the LM all due to the case feeding.

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

The crank slider is binding as the carriage goes up and down. I've adjusted the rod rotating it clockwise and counter clockwise. Ive rotated the whole assembly closer and further from the case feed ramp. Loosened and tightened the two screws on it. It can be so loose it won't feed a case, yet still binds. I've replaced the rod holding the crank slider as well as the slider.

I've run 15,000+ this year, 10,000 last year.... but ready to scream!

Sparky45

Re: Case feeder nightmare

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:25 pm

Get ahold of Webster for his slider.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Have you tried moving it in closer (or further away) from the press to change the bar/press "angle" a bit. Every thing is "square" to each other. The Z bar doesn't move in or out of the case slider when actuated. That'll tell you if the bar is "square" to the "tongue". The bar should also be perpendicular inline with the press (that's where the pencil thing comes in, however I just "eyeball" it) I went through kinda the same thing a while back (used press I bought that was a bit "abused") If I remember correctly I just threw all new parts at it. Adjusted as above and it's fine. I can "feel" the slider on the bar but not bad. Let us know if you figure out the issue corrective measures taken. I'm sure you'll get it.

As mentioned I'm also considering Websterz parts as well. I have MM's primer and shellplate "fixes" so might as well continue to make things "better"....we'll whip these things in to shape one way or another...... :twisted:

john127

Postby john127 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:58 pm

The recommended method of adjusting the tension on the plastic friction part that slides up & down the square bar is to fully tighten (do not over tighten) the uppermost screw & lightly adjust the lower one until you attain the desired tension. In other words, its the lower screw that's the tension adjuster.

websterz

Postby websterz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 am

My foot has healed to the point where I can get out to the shop again. So if anyone is needing case feeder parts feel free to contact me here on the forum.

john_bud

Postby john_bud » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:48 pm

So I got my sword and shield and went back to face the beast. The ONLY thing I did was add lanoline lube to the case feed slider where it rides the carriage. Poof, suddenly it's working.

mr jones

Postby mr jones » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:57 pm

i use powdered graphite on the bar never any sticking ace hardware sells it ,sean

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 pm

My crank slider has been sticking and shuddering a lot lately. It still works but it really drags. I have polished on the rod, readjusted it, graphite the case feeder but it still shudders. You can see it bend the square rod upward as the ram goes up. I finally relented and ordered replacement parts from Lee yesterday. We will see if they help or not. I have not tried to lube or graphite the square rod since I thought that was a no no. I do put STP on the underside of the case feeder tongue and have used a pencil on the underside of the case feeder. I may try screwing the bolt that holds the square rod in a turn to get it closer to the press and see what that does.

erle

Postby erle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 am

WebsterZ provides a nice aluminum slider with a slider insert that will smooth out the operation. I have one of his newer ones on one of my LLM's & his older model on my other LLM which works good but has to be adjusted just right, like the Lee. Before I got his mod's I was going to secure the top of the slider rod, but now it is not necessary.

Erle

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:37 am

Again, listen to Erle and get Websterz mods.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I have found that applying a shot or two of dry film chain lube to the case slider runway on the carrier solves the chattering problem. I apply it both top and bottom. Never have put anything on the square rod. I just make sure that it is about 1/4" away from the carrier and parallel to it. I adjust the tension block and the mounting bracket as per Lee's instructions and all is good. The case feeder is the least troublesome thing on my press and always has been. I can't remember the last time I had to mess with it to make it work properly.

mike

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 pm

john_bud wrote:The ONLY thing I did was add lanoline lube to the case feed slider where it rides the carriage. Poof, suddenly it's working.

That is what I do also, except I run the "dry lube" with Teflon like Mike does, and I never have case feeder problems. I did have to clean the square rod and crank slider on one press one time and I still do not know where the goo on it came from.

GD

dantheman

Postby dantheman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 pm

I don't use the case feeder anymore. The moment I took it off, the Loadmaster and I started getting along much better.

Dan

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:51 am

I always enjoyed "do it yourself projects" so I made my Loadmasters run myself. The case slider for instance is 2 standard case sliders epoxied together with a light piece of aluminum 3 inch long. the 2 crank sliders allow the rod to always exit the center of the load preventing any binding. Generally just clean and lube at the start of a 500 round batch. (Used to be larger batches, but I don't shoot as much as I used to).

Yes, I could buy the fixes but like I said I enjoyed making everything work.

Return to “Load Master forum”