9MM shell plate and priming issues

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

llangston1

9MM shell plate and priming issues

Postby llangston1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:45 pm

I have been setting up my Loadmaster for my next batch of 9MM after I received all the new shell plates from Lee. As I set up the modified small primer system I got from MM along with my MM modified carrier I notice that the small primer pin is scraping along the leading edge ( closest to station 3) of the shell plate slot. As you manually move the primer arm you can actually feel the slight scraping as the pin rises up through the shell plate slot. Obviously the ram will easily overpower that slight scrape on the way up and it does not appear to effect the primer positioning as it rises on top of the pin but it would be a wear spot and I am concerned about the pin hanging up and not retracting at times even with Mikes primer arm magnet and the small spring installed. Could this be a problem with excess wear on the end of the primer arm wear the primer pin rides or even wear in the slot of the primer pins so they are cocked at a funny angle? This is another new issue and something I never really noticed before. I discovered this when setting the adjustable primer pin depth and was I moving the pin up and down with a primer to see if it hung up or tipped. As I moved the pin up I could feel and hear the scraping as the pin rises through the slot in the plate. The shell plate is indexed as far as it will go on the stroke and I have adjusted the ejector pawl so there is no slop in the plate. Have any others on the forum had a similar experience? Is there any way to center the primer pin in the shell plate slot? Is it an issue with the plastic primer housing alignment in the carrier?

Any suggestions besides emailing Lee with a problem ticket?

llangston1

Re: 9MM shell plate and priming issues

Postby llangston1 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:10 pm

A followup to this issue after more tinkering with my press today. I have discovered that the primer pin scrapes the shell plate only when using either of my two older small primer systems that came with the press when I bought it used. They both scrape in the same location. Now when I install my new replacement small primer system I just received from Lee I get no scraping of the primer pin. So apparently the new primer trough is better able to guide the primer pin and keep it from scraping the shell plate. Interesting! My old primer troughs were tweaked and modified by MM to use his new primer sliders so they will not work with an unmodified trough. So I guess I will see just how well this new small primer system works. I have installed the washer under the primer arm and the rubber band for auto retraction and need to check the trough for plastic burrs.

I also went back to my old black plastic index flipper and the press seems to work little smoother than when using the new gray flipper.

erle

Postby erle » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:44 pm

You might want to check with Mike about his latest recommendation but it was my understanding that you don't use both the magnet & small spring. I believe the reason he uses the magnet is to be able to eliminate the spring altogether, since it pushes the pin to one side & causes it to scrape the side.

I use only the magnet on both of my LLM's.

Erle

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Ahh, the things that make the LM an "interesting" machine. I have/had the same issue with the small primer pin on mine as well. I did the opposite of most I guess. I removed the primer actuating arm with the magnet and went back to the original using the spring. Problem was resolved. I may revisit this minor issue later, but for now it's working.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:31 am

I primed over 400 9 mm cases tonight with not one flipped or sideways primer. 100% success

Return to “Load Master forum”